Mystery solved! Diamond Head Theater's mislabeled photos identified

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2008
      Hello, all ...

      Finally I have a definite answer to Curt's inquiry (message #3751 of
      4-16-2005).

      The photos of Don Blanding and Florence Butler are from a
      presentation by the Ballet Russe at the Laniakea theater on November
      21 and 22, 1917.

      This photo

      http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/db-sultan1917.jpg

      and an accompanying article appeared in the Pacific Commerical
      Advertiser (Honolulu Advertiser) on Thursday, November 22, page 1,
      Section 2, columns 3-5, and continued on page 4, column 3.

      The photo is captioned:

      "Miss Florence Butler as Scheherezade and Donald Blanding as the
      Sultan in the pantomime ballet of Scheherezade, given last night as
      the first number of the Ballet Russe at Laniakea. Ivan Bankoff and
      Aimee Maynard are the two visiting stars who take the principal
      parts."

      Although I do not have time this weekend to transcribe the full
      article, here are a few excerpts:

      "Miss Florence Butler was a regal sultana, and her partner, Donald
      Blanding, was a figure of splendor."

      "One of the most beautiful features of the evening was the bacchanal
      done by Miss Madeline Sachs and Donald Blanding, with the help of
      the local girls who took part."

      "Donald Blanding and Arthur Wyman, the two local men who had
      prominent parts to fill, were the chief figures in the magic fire
      dance, in which the only light on the stage came from braziers in
      which the dancing girls threw from time to time red and blue fire.
      It was weirdly interesting, and the clever shadow dancing of Arthur
      Wyman gave his talent excellent scope."

      "Credit for the original costumes must be given to Donald Blanding,
      whom designed them, and Mrs. Bernie Williams, who superintended
      their construction."

      Earlier in November, as reported in the Advertiser of November 9,
      the Lanai Players presented a trio of one-act playlets at
      Laniakea. "Before the last play Don Blanding made announcement that
      Ivan Bankoff, the Russian dancer who is stopping over in Honolulu,
      would give four nights of the miniature Russian Ballet on November
      21, 22, 23 and 24. On the first two nights Scheherezade will be
      given, followed by solo dances by the stars, Mr. Bankoff and Miss
      Aimee Maynard. The last two nights 'The Death of a Swan' will be
      the main feature, with entirely different solo dances to follow."

      For the three playlets, Blanding is listed as being in charge of
      scenery.

      Tomorrow, I expect to finish reading microfilm from the 1917
      Advertiser and will report later in the week what other goodies I
      have found.

      ~~Cadia
    • Curt Blanding
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2008
        Great work Cadia!

        That photo is very similar to the one I found. The costumes look
        identical and it looks like the same people. I uploaded my copies to
        the photo albums area. To me, it looks very likely that the photo is
        Don.

        Both the April 9, 1917 and the Nov. 22, 1917 articles seem to fit
        with these photos. They probably performed this piece several times.

        Thanks, Curt

        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Cadia Los" <duchess@...>