Re: Bohemian Poet's Group in Hawaii?

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
      Yvette ...

      Re:

      a handwritten note with a birthdate - 1864 in England and also a
      death date - "Died Reno, Nevada on June 24, 1918"

      These dates would translate to age 54-55 in 1918.

      The Herbert M. Ayres listed on the 1910 and 1920 census showed a DOB
      of about 1871 in England. You may want to check the census records
      via Ancestry.com or Heritage Quest at your local library. I did not
      have time to look at the 1900 census to try locating your Herbert M.
      in either New York or Wisconsin. The citations I checked were the
      only ones associated with both England and Hawaii. The several
      surnames in the household will be useful in confirming or eliminating
      the listing. One intriguing thing -- one of the 1920 household
      members was listed as an adopted daughter!

      However, if your Herbert M. was indeed deceased in 1918, then it is
      barely possible that Don Blanding would have known him. DB arrived in
      Honolulu on December 22, 1916 at age 22 and was associated with the
      Advertiser (Pacific Commercial Advertiser, at the time) in 1917. By
      the end of 1917, he had enlisted in the Army and was at Fort Shafter.

      Methinks you may want to start reading the Advertiser for the decades
      before 1918. I'll be finishing 1917 and may look at most of 1918,
      since DB left Hawaii on October 1, 1918, bound for Camp Grant.

      Unfortunately, neither the Advertiser nor the Star-Bulletin are
      indexed prior to 1929 -- so it's a blind search. Armed with the bits
      of information you have, however, you may be able to enlist the aid of
      the University of Hawaii and/or Honolulu Community College, or even
      someone at either newspaper, to do some digging.

      Good luck!

      ~~C~~
    • Curt Blanding
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
        At 07:46 PM 3/12/2008, you wrote:
        >DB arrived in
        >Honolulu on December 22, 1916 at age 22

        Cadia,

        While you're looking through the microfilm, please check Feb. 12,
        1916 and/or 1917 for mention of a play by "The Footlights" at the
        Honolulu Opera House. The play was "In a Persian Garden" featuring
        Don Blanding and Florence Butler.

        The Honolulu Community Theater (now known as Diamond Head Theatre)
        still insists that Don Blanding was in that play on Feb. 12,
        1916. While we all insist that DB didn't arrive until Dec.
        1916. Obviously one of us is off by a year.

        It would help a lot if you could find that play mentioned in the paper.

        Curt
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 15, 2008
          Curt,

          I addressed the probable source of the theater's photos in my
          message #4092 on January 30, 2007.

          For the record, I have read the Honolulu Star-Bulletin for the
          period January 20 - March 20, 1916. During this time, the
          Footlights Club did NOT present a play titled "In a Persian Garden."

          The Footlights Club did present an "innovative entertainment" at the
          University Club on February 12, 1916. Quoting from the S-B article
          in the February 12 Society section (p. 11, col. 1):

          This entertainment "is taking the form of tableaux and a dance
          afterwards. The tableaux are arranged from the verses of the
          Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. It has all been done under the direct
          supervision of Mrs. F.T.P. Waterhouse, with assistance from Mr.
          William Lewers. It is going to be truly lovely.

          "Mrs. Bruce Cartwright has the tableau after

          'Yon rising Moon that looks for us again--
          How oft hereafter will she wax and wane.
          How oft hereafter rising look for us
          Through this same garden and for one in vain!' [etc.]

          "Those in Mrs. Cartwright's tableau are Mrs. William Lymber, Miss
          Edith Williams . . . Mr. Fred Ohrt and Mr. Robert Purvis.

          "The next tableau is that of Mrs. C.B. High and Mrs. Frank
          Armstrong, and the verse is

          'A book of verses underneath the Bough,
          A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread -- and Thou
          Beside me singing in the Wilderness --
          Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!'

          "Mrs. Ingram Stainbach and Mr. Bob Purvis represent this tableau.
          Miss Louise Churchill is going to sing selections from 'The Persian
          Garden.'"

          The article goes on to describe two additional tableaux and their
          participants. Neither Florence Butler nor Don Blanding are among
          them.

          In the April 9, 1917, opening of the Lanai Theater, Blanding did
          appear in a tableau with Miss Butler, as described in my original
          response. He also appeared in a second tableau with Mrs. Ambrose
          Patterson [wife of an artist], titled "Some Passions and Pierrot."
          This pair posed as both Jealousy and Love. The figure of Pirrot was
          done by E. H. Steele, better known as Ned Steele, a cartoonist for
          the Advertiser.

          "In a Persian Garden," by the way, is not a play but a song cycle
          for four voices by British singer and composer Liza Lehmann:

          ". . . her 1896 Omar Khayyam settings, which was her best known
          substantial work enjoying vogue before the First World War when the
          Victorian and Edwardian love of exotica, even erotica, albeit held
          at decorous arms length and seen through the prism of imperial
          grandeur, could penetrate the tightest of corsets and the stiffest
          of collars during long country house weekends when much
          entertainment came out of the piano stool."

          I maintain that, if the photos are of DB and Miss Butler, they are
          from the 1917 Lanai Theater presentation. If they are not, then
          they may be of Mrs. Stainbach and Mr. Purvis or any of the other
          participants in the 1916 Footlights Club presentation.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 15, 2008
            Yvette, thanks from me, too, for the tip on Bob Krause' index. While
            there are only 23 citations for Don Blanding, it does confirm my hope
            that DB did write a second article in 1924 to describe his Paris
            sojourn.

            Unfortunately, that article is dated October 18, 1924 -- within the
            missing segment of Star-Bulletin microfilm that I've been trying to
            get my hands on. The period from October 16-31 is on the short list
            that I gave to Bev Leinbach before she went to Maui last week. If
            she can't locate it there, I'll start bugging the UH librarians and,
            if need be, the morgues of both Honolulu newspapers!

            Another S-B item that shows up in the Krause index is a 1920 article
            about the Honolulu arts scene. I will be reading 1920 microfilm soon.

            ~~Cadia
          • Y. Fernandez
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2008
              fyi - The Krauss index is a work in progress - additional items are usally added on a weekly basis.

              Yvette, thanks from me, too, for the tip on Bob Krause' index. While
              there are only 23 citations for Don Blanding, it does confirm my hope
              that DB did write a second article in 1924 to describe his Paris
              sojourn.

              Unfortunately, that article is dated October 18, 1924 -- within the
              missing segment of Star-Bulletin microfilm that I've been trying to
              get my hands on. The period from October 16-31 is on the short list
              that I gave to Bev Leinbach before she went to Maui last week. If
              she can't locate it there, I'll start bugging the UH librarians and,
              if need be, the morgues of both Honolulu newspapers!

              Another S-B item that shows up in the Krause index is a 1920 article
              about the Honolulu arts scene. I will be reading 1920 microfilm soon.

              ~~Cadia

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{