Re: 1917 Honolulu Advertiser: DB editorial cartoons & other artwork

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2008
      Hello, all ...

      The third editorial cartoon (March 17, 1917) should be at

      http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images12/17mar17a.jpg

      Also, I was able to get a decent image of the magazine cover
      illustration, which is now in

      Files > Publications > Honolulu Advertiser > 1917 Articles on Don
      Blanding

      As I sort through this material, I am still amazed at the quality of
      DB's early work. After all, in March 1917, he was only 22 years old!

      Note to Keith: Please start sleuthing, if you haven't already.
      What "mainland publications" had used DB's ilustrations by 1917?

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2008
        Good job Cadia. These are incredible finds. Thanks
        so much for all your hard work on the microfiche. Not
        an easy job. tj

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2008
          Great work Cadia!

          Very exciting stuff!!

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2008
            Thanks, guys! I had a little time on Sunday to scan a few more
            cartoons and work up the beginnings of a section to add to my website:

            http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-cartoons.html

            I haven't written any text yet -- it's still very much a work in
            progress -- but thought you might like to see the editorial cartoons
            from March 20, 21 and 22.

            ~Cadia