Re: [aloha-donblanding] Jimmy Buffet

  • Mike Gothard
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
      Hi Tom,

      I'm a huge Buffett fan, too! In fact, it was Buffett that got me hooked on
      Blanding via Floridays. The poem on Volcano is as follows:

      Mystery South of Us

      Florida thrusts like a guiding thumb
      To the southern islands of rumba and rum,
      To the mystery-cities and haunted seas
      Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbes.
      Where the ghosts of Columbus and Pirates Bold
      Seek the islands of Spice and the Streets of Gold.
      Where the wandering phantom of Ku-Kul-Kan
      Haunts the temples he builded in Yucatan,
      Where the jaguars prowl and the lizards crawl
      On a broken altar and sculptured wall,
      Where Mayan rulers in arrogant pride
      Dreamed and schemed and suffered and died.
      The inlaid thrones and the sacred urns
      Are filled with orchids and stag-horn ferns,
      The witching moon of the tropic skies
      Caresses the lips and the dead stone eyes
      Of fallen idols of lust and blood
      That lie in the mold and the reeking mud
      Of fever-jungles The dust and bones
      Of men who quarried and laid the stones
      Of fabulous cities are turned to earth,
      The echoes of prayers and chants and mirth
      Of vanished people and priests and kings
      Are heard in the night-wind's whisperings.

      Florida thrusts like a guiding thumb
      To the southern islands of rumba and rum,
      To the lands of mystery that lie below,
      To the places I know I'm going to go.

      Don Blanding
      FLORIDAYS

      Also, the following is found on the Floridays album:

      "I have loved many lands...and love them well, Changing, chameleon fashion,
      to the spell of each land's colors; rhythming my heart to each land's song;
      striving to be a part."

      - From The Poem "To Florida" from the book, "Floridays" by Don Blanding

      Hope that helps,
      Mike

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
        That's a good start. Thanks. Any info on Coconut
        Telegraph? tj

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
          I'm afraid my copy of Cocotel doesn't have the original liner notes. I'll
          see what I can find out this weekend. I'm fairly confident he references
          Blanding in A Pirate Looks at 50 as well.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
            Yes, I own Pirate at 50 book also. I've found lots of
            cocotel albums on line but none describe anything
            about DB poems, etc. tj

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2008
              From Keith's list of poems:

              Via "Coconut Wireless"
              Drifter's Gold, pp. 52-53, 1939
              Hawaii Says Aloha, pp. 110-111, 1955

              I don't know if this poem is part of the Jimmy Buffet album, but you
              can find the text in either book.

              ~~C~~
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2008
                Buffett's album Coconut Telegraph doesn't have a DB
                poem in it. At least not the album I looked at. I
                think the album title is taken from DB's Coconut
                Wireless poem however. I bought Buffett's album,
                Vocano, which has a DB poem on the inside cover in a
                very prominent position. As best I can tell at the
                moment there are only two Buffett albums with DB poems
                in them; Floridays and Volcano. Some of the other
                albums I viewed didn't have the slip covers with them
                so I don't know if they might have had DB poems or
                references. Always interesting to see the influence
                of DB on modern day people...tj