Jimmy Buffet

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
      I've been browsing Jimmy Buffet records online for the last few days. He has three older
      albums I'm interested in, they are: Floridays (I have this one), Coconut Telegraph and
      Volcano. I know that Volcano has a Blanding poem on the sleeve (I believe) and Coconut
      Telegraph was a title of a Blanding poem but I know no more of Coconut Telegraph. Buffet
      as we know was influenced by DB as the two are Vagabonds of sorts. Does anyone in our
      group have more info on these records? I've found a short radio interview of Buffet talking
      about Blanding and the influence DB had on him. Anyone out there wanna communicate via
      our Coconut wireless telegraph? tj
    • Mike Gothard
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
        Hi Tom,

        I'm a huge Buffett fan, too! In fact, it was Buffett that got me hooked on
        Blanding via Floridays. The poem on Volcano is as follows:

        Mystery South of Us

        Florida thrusts like a guiding thumb
        To the southern islands of rumba and rum,
        To the mystery-cities and haunted seas
        Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbes.
        Where the ghosts of Columbus and Pirates Bold
        Seek the islands of Spice and the Streets of Gold.
        Where the wandering phantom of Ku-Kul-Kan
        Haunts the temples he builded in Yucatan,
        Where the jaguars prowl and the lizards crawl
        On a broken altar and sculptured wall,
        Where Mayan rulers in arrogant pride
        Dreamed and schemed and suffered and died.
        The inlaid thrones and the sacred urns
        Are filled with orchids and stag-horn ferns,
        The witching moon of the tropic skies
        Caresses the lips and the dead stone eyes
        Of fallen idols of lust and blood
        That lie in the mold and the reeking mud
        Of fever-jungles The dust and bones
        Of men who quarried and laid the stones
        Of fabulous cities are turned to earth,
        The echoes of prayers and chants and mirth
        Of vanished people and priests and kings
        Are heard in the night-wind's whisperings.

        Florida thrusts like a guiding thumb
        To the southern islands of rumba and rum,
        To the lands of mystery that lie below,
        To the places I know I'm going to go.

        Don Blanding
        FLORIDAYS

        Also, the following is found on the Floridays album:

        "I have loved many lands...and love them well, Changing, chameleon fashion,
        to the spell of each land's colors; rhythming my heart to each land's song;
        striving to be a part."

        - From The Poem "To Florida" from the book, "Floridays" by Don Blanding

        Hope that helps,
        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
          That's a good start. Thanks. Any info on Coconut
          Telegraph? tj

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
            I'm afraid my copy of Cocotel doesn't have the original liner notes. I'll
            see what I can find out this weekend. I'm fairly confident he references
            Blanding in A Pirate Looks at 50 as well.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 14, 2008
              Yes, I own Pirate at 50 book also. I've found lots of
              cocotel albums on line but none describe anything
              about DB poems, etc. tj

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16, 2008
                From Keith's list of poems:

                Via "Coconut Wireless"
                Drifter's Gold, pp. 52-53, 1939
                Hawaii Says Aloha, pp. 110-111, 1955

                I don't know if this poem is part of the Jimmy Buffet album, but you
                can find the text in either book.

                ~~C~~
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2008
                  Buffett's album Coconut Telegraph doesn't have a DB
                  poem in it. At least not the album I looked at. I
                  think the album title is taken from DB's Coconut
                  Wireless poem however. I bought Buffett's album,
                  Vocano, which has a DB poem on the inside cover in a
                  very prominent position. As best I can tell at the
                  moment there are only two Buffett albums with DB poems
                  in them; Floridays and Volcano. Some of the other
                  albums I viewed didn't have the slip covers with them
                  so I don't know if they might have had DB poems or
                  references. Always interesting to see the influence
                  of DB on modern day people...tj