Re: [aloha-donblanding] Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Oct & Dec 1918

  • Mark Murray
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
      Michael,

      Have you checked with Wikipedia for William Twigg-Smith?

      Here is a link to the information they have on him...

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith>

      Mark in Gig Harbor, WA
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
        Corrected link, I hope...if not, apologies for the intrusion

        Mark

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith<about:blank>

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2007
          Cadia,
          Thanks indeed. His name was in fact, William Smith, but he was tall and skinny so was called "Twigg". As an artist, he thought that Smith was too generic so he changed his name to Twigg-Smith . He was an accomplished landscape painter, photographer, second flutist and a founder of the Honolulu Symphony, served in WWI (as you noted), and worked for the Hawaii Sugar Planners Association for many years. Sadly, he died in 1950 so I never got to meet him. He was, by my mother's account, one of the nicest people she ever new.

          I have 30 of his paintings and am always looking for more. We also have about 25000 photos of his which have never been published. Am working on that though, someday.

          Aloha, Michael

          Michael P ...

          Here's Twigg Smith for you:

          http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/twigg.jpg

          as published in the special service edition of the Honolulu Star-
          Buleltin on October 5, 1918.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2007
            Michael,

            Isn't there a Twigg Smith that runs the Honolulu Advertiser now? Is he a
            relative too?

            Bev.

            _____

            http://myglassduche <http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/twigg.jpg>