Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Oct & Dec 1918

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
      Yes, Michael, it is indeed your William Twigg-Smith. Consistently,
      references to him in the Star-Bulletin are simply Twigg Smith. No
      hyphen; as if Twigg were his nickname.

      As I continue to organize mountains of photocopies into binders and
      index them, I'll try to make note of when he is mentioned and send
      you a packet of photocopies.

      The October 1918 item is a photo caption; unfortunately the photo is
      so dark and murky on microfilm that it is impossible to reproduce
      with any detail. However, I'll try to do a scan. The pose shows
      Twigg standing, in uniform.

      I do know that he arrived home in Honolulu from war service on March
      29, 1919, on the steamer Grotius. Besides the published passenger
      list, there's a paragraph about Twigg:

      TWIGG SMITH RETURNS
      FROM WORK IN FRANCE

      Twigg Smith, well known Honolulu artist, returned home today on the
      steamer Grotius after months of thrilling experiences in France as a
      camouflager. It was a wide comparison from creating artistic
      pictures to wielding a brush on cannon and road screens and making
      artificial trees, but Twigg Smith was equal to the occasion. He is
      to resume his art work here.

      Speaking of photos, perhaps you can do a little digging and find out
      how far back the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin photo morgues go.
      Within the past few years, I know both papers have published 1940s
      and 1950s photos of Don Blanding. The July 6, 2006, Advertiser
      sesquicentennial edition contains hundreds of old photos, so there
      has to be a morgue somewhere!

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
        Michael P ...

        Here's Twigg Smith for you:

        http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/twigg.jpg

        as published in the special service edition of the Honolulu Star-
        Buleltin on October 5, 1918.

        ~~Cadia
      • Mark Murray
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
          Michael,

          Have you checked with Wikipedia for William Twigg-Smith?

          Here is a link to the information they have on him...

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith>

          Mark in Gig Harbor, WA
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
            Corrected link, I hope...if not, apologies for the intrusion

            Mark

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith<about:blank>

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2007
              Cadia,
              Thanks indeed. His name was in fact, William Smith, but he was tall and skinny so was called "Twigg". As an artist, he thought that Smith was too generic so he changed his name to Twigg-Smith . He was an accomplished landscape painter, photographer, second flutist and a founder of the Honolulu Symphony, served in WWI (as you noted), and worked for the Hawaii Sugar Planners Association for many years. Sadly, he died in 1950 so I never got to meet him. He was, by my mother's account, one of the nicest people she ever new.

              I have 30 of his paintings and am always looking for more. We also have about 25000 photos of his which have never been published. Am working on that though, someday.

              Aloha, Michael

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 9, 2007
                Michael,

                Isn't there a Twigg Smith that runs the Honolulu Advertiser now? Is he a
                relative too?

                Bev.

                _____

                http://myglassduche <http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/twigg.jpg>