RE: [aloha-donblanding] Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Oct & Dec 1918

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
      Wow,
      I will have to check it out, my family is the Twigg-Smith family so it will be interesting to see who it is, must be William Twigg-Smith, who was a major landscape painter from 1916 to 1950.

      Aloha, Michael

      Hello, all ...

      I have added several new items from October and December 1918 to

      Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1918 Articles - Misc.
      Subjects

      The most interesting is a letter sent to Riley Allen shortly after
      the "boys from Hawaii" arrived at Camp Grant near Rockford, Illinois.

      Other bits mention some familiar names, such as Twigg Smith and Helen
      Alexander.

      Enjoy!

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
          Yes, Michael, it is indeed your William Twigg-Smith. Consistently,
          references to him in the Star-Bulletin are simply Twigg Smith. No
          hyphen; as if Twigg were his nickname.

          As I continue to organize mountains of photocopies into binders and
          index them, I'll try to make note of when he is mentioned and send
          you a packet of photocopies.

          The October 1918 item is a photo caption; unfortunately the photo is
          so dark and murky on microfilm that it is impossible to reproduce
          with any detail. However, I'll try to do a scan. The pose shows
          Twigg standing, in uniform.

          I do know that he arrived home in Honolulu from war service on March
          29, 1919, on the steamer Grotius. Besides the published passenger
          list, there's a paragraph about Twigg:

          TWIGG SMITH RETURNS
          FROM WORK IN FRANCE

          Twigg Smith, well known Honolulu artist, returned home today on the
          steamer Grotius after months of thrilling experiences in France as a
          camouflager. It was a wide comparison from creating artistic
          pictures to wielding a brush on cannon and road screens and making
          artificial trees, but Twigg Smith was equal to the occasion. He is
          to resume his art work here.

          Speaking of photos, perhaps you can do a little digging and find out
          how far back the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin photo morgues go.
          Within the past few years, I know both papers have published 1940s
          and 1950s photos of Don Blanding. The July 6, 2006, Advertiser
          sesquicentennial edition contains hundreds of old photos, so there
          has to be a morgue somewhere!

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
            Michael P ...

            Here's Twigg Smith for you:

            http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/twigg.jpg

            as published in the special service edition of the Honolulu Star-
            Buleltin on October 5, 1918.

            ~~Cadia
          • Mark Murray
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
              Michael,

              Have you checked with Wikipedia for William Twigg-Smith?

              Here is a link to the information they have on him...

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith>

              Mark in Gig Harbor, WA
              I will have to check it out, my family is the Twigg-Smith family so it will be interesting to see who it is, must be William Twigg-Smith, who was a major landscape painter from 1916 to 1950.

              Aloha, Michael

              Hello, all ...

              I have added several new items from October and December 1918 to

              Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1918 Articles - Misc.
              Subjects

              The most interesting is a letter sent to Riley Allen shortly after
              the "boys from Hawaii" arrived at Camp Grant near Rockford, Illinois.

              Other bits mention some familiar names, such as Twigg Smith and Helen
              Alexander.

              Enjoy!

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mark Murray
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2007
                Corrected link, I hope...if not, apologies for the intrusion

                Mark

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Twigg-Smith<about:blank>

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 9, 2007
                  Cadia,
                  Thanks indeed. His name was in fact, William Smith, but he was tall and skinny so was called "Twigg". As an artist, he thought that Smith was too generic so he changed his name to Twigg-Smith . He was an accomplished landscape painter, photographer, second flutist and a founder of the Honolulu Symphony, served in WWI (as you noted), and worked for the Hawaii Sugar Planners Association for many years. Sadly, he died in 1950 so I never got to meet him. He was, by my mother's account, one of the nicest people she ever new.

                  I have 30 of his paintings and am always looking for more. We also have about 25000 photos of his which have never been published. Am working on that though, someday.

                  Aloha, Michael

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 9, 2007
                    Michael,

                    Isn't there a Twigg Smith that runs the Honolulu Advertiser now? Is he a
                    relative too?

                    Bev.

                    _____

                    http://myglassduche <http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/twigg.jpg>