Re: [aloha-donblanding] Blanding and Christmas

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
      Allen and Bev

      Thanks for sharing your experiences. We are presenting an christmas open
      house at the Inn and fundraiser for a local Hawaiian Organization so this all
      helps.

      Mahalo,
      Tom and Janice Fairbanks
      Shelly (Fairbanks) Harris
      Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
      2199 Kahookele St.
      Wailuku, HI 96793
      (808) 244-5897 local number
      (800) 305-4899 reservation line only
      mauibandb@...

      This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
      addressed and may contain confidential information. Any review, retransmission,
      dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
      prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please contact the sender by
      replying to this e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from all
      computers without reading or saving the same in any matter whatsoever.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
        Maui Tom,

        Do you do this every year? Our whole family will be there for Christmas
        ’08 and would love to attend.

        Bev.

        _____

        mauibandb@aol. <mailto:mauibandb%40aol.com> com

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
          we often do openhouse not every year but about every two or three. This
          year it is December 8. It is a fund raiser tickets are about $15.

          aloha
          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
            DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
            Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
            at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
            Don Blanding.

            There's also a Santa Claus cover illustration for one of the 1950s
            Star-Bulletin magazines.

            In 1954, DB wrote a lengthy article about his first Christmas in
            Hawaii (1916).

            I'll try to look through the 1953-1957 S-B Saturday columns later
            this week to see what else he may have written about Christmas.
            Quite a few columns are already transcribed and published on the
            group website, but perhaps I can find a few more that specifically
            relate to Christmas. As we know, DB maintained a Christmas card
            list in the thousands. He referred to it often in his columns.

            ~~Cadia
          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
              In a message dated 10/24/2007 5:41:32 PM Hawaiian Standard Time,
              duchess@... writes:
              Mahalo Cadia for your research.

              DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
              Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
              at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
              Don Blanding.

              are the items below on your website or we go to Star Bulletin?

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                Tom ...

                "Don Blanding Recalls ... Christmas 1916," published on December 25,
                1954, is in 2 places:

                Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1954 Articles by Don
                Blanding

                http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-christmas54.html

                When I transcribed the article back in 2004, I thought I had scanned
                the Hawaiian Life magazine cover as well, but apparently not. So
                now I have added 3 illustrations (entire cover, illustration, and an
                editorial blurb) at

                Files > Illustrations > Don Blanding

                This Santa Claus is decidedly Hawaiian!