Re: [aloha-donblanding] Blanding and Christmas

  • Allen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
      He was a big time Xmas guy. I can remember we always celebrated Xmas Eve after Gramp closed the last show at the theater. Was always around midnight. Gifts were exchanged by all. Other good friends from the "hood" always showed up. Some Hawaiians (Ane's), Chinese (Lee family) Japanese (Kusinokies) Korean (Hy & Phyllis) Gramp played the piano. We all sang carols. Plenty of food and ethnic treats. Everybody brought something to eat. (Plenty good kine local kau kau). No booze. Ahwe! Allen
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
        Allen and Bev

        Thanks for sharing your experiences. We are presenting an christmas open
        house at the Inn and fundraiser for a local Hawaiian Organization so this all
        helps.

        Mahalo,
        Tom and Janice Fairbanks
        Shelly (Fairbanks) Harris
        Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
        2199 Kahookele St.
        Wailuku, HI 96793
        (808) 244-5897 local number
        (800) 305-4899 reservation line only
        mauibandb@...

        This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
        addressed and may contain confidential information. Any review, retransmission,
        dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
        prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please contact the sender by
        replying to this e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from all
        computers without reading or saving the same in any matter whatsoever.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
          Maui Tom,

          Do you do this every year? Our whole family will be there for Christmas
          ’08 and would love to attend.

          Bev.

          _____

          mauibandb@aol. <mailto:mauibandb%40aol.com> com

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
            we often do openhouse not every year but about every two or three. This
            year it is December 8. It is a fund raiser tickets are about $15.

            aloha
            Tom

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
              DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
              Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
              at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
              Don Blanding.

              There's also a Santa Claus cover illustration for one of the 1950s
              Star-Bulletin magazines.

              In 1954, DB wrote a lengthy article about his first Christmas in
              Hawaii (1916).

              I'll try to look through the 1953-1957 S-B Saturday columns later
              this week to see what else he may have written about Christmas.
              Quite a few columns are already transcribed and published on the
              group website, but perhaps I can find a few more that specifically
              relate to Christmas. As we know, DB maintained a Christmas card
              list in the thousands. He referred to it often in his columns.

              ~~Cadia
            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                In a message dated 10/24/2007 5:41:32 PM Hawaiian Standard Time,
                duchess@... writes:
                Mahalo Cadia for your research.

                DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
                Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
                at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
                Don Blanding.

                are the items below on your website or we go to Star Bulletin?

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                  Tom ...

                  "Don Blanding Recalls ... Christmas 1916," published on December 25,
                  1954, is in 2 places:

                  Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1954 Articles by Don
                  Blanding

                  http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-christmas54.html

                  When I transcribed the article back in 2004, I thought I had scanned
                  the Hawaiian Life magazine cover as well, but apparently not. So
                  now I have added 3 illustrations (entire cover, illustration, and an
                  editorial blurb) at

                  Files > Illustrations > Don Blanding

                  This Santa Claus is decidedly Hawaiian!