RE: [aloha-donblanding] Blanding and Christmas

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
      I remember when the Balls stayed with Don in Carmel they decorated the whole
      house and had many folks stop in. Can't find that article or letter right
      now and don't recall anything about colors or cards.

      I do recall reading that the Ball's decorated a tree in blue one year and
      took it to Don, but don't recall what Christmas that was off the top of my
      head. Will let you know if I find it.

      Bev.

      _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
          Allen and Bev

          Thanks for sharing your experiences. We are presenting an christmas open
          house at the Inn and fundraiser for a local Hawaiian Organization so this all
          helps.

          Mahalo,
          Tom and Janice Fairbanks
          Shelly (Fairbanks) Harris
          Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
          2199 Kahookele St.
          Wailuku, HI 96793
          (808) 244-5897 local number
          (800) 305-4899 reservation line only
          mauibandb@...

          This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
          addressed and may contain confidential information. Any review, retransmission,
          dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
          prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please contact the sender by
          replying to this e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from all
          computers without reading or saving the same in any matter whatsoever.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
            Maui Tom,

            Do you do this every year? Our whole family will be there for Christmas
            ’08 and would love to attend.

            Bev.

            _____

            mauibandb@aol. <mailto:mauibandb%40aol.com> com

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
              we often do openhouse not every year but about every two or three. This
              year it is December 8. It is a fund raiser tickets are about $15.

              aloha
              Tom

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
                Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
                at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
                Don Blanding.

                There's also a Santa Claus cover illustration for one of the 1950s
                Star-Bulletin magazines.

                In 1954, DB wrote a lengthy article about his first Christmas in
                Hawaii (1916).

                I'll try to look through the 1953-1957 S-B Saturday columns later
                this week to see what else he may have written about Christmas.
                Quite a few columns are already transcribed and published on the
                group website, but perhaps I can find a few more that specifically
                relate to Christmas. As we know, DB maintained a Christmas card
                list in the thousands. He referred to it often in his columns.

                ~~Cadia
              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                  In a message dated 10/24/2007 5:41:32 PM Hawaiian Standard Time,
                  duchess@... writes:
                  Mahalo Cadia for your research.

                  DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
                  Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
                  at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
                  Don Blanding.

                  are the items below on your website or we go to Star Bulletin?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                    Tom ...

                    "Don Blanding Recalls ... Christmas 1916," published on December 25,
                    1954, is in 2 places:

                    Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1954 Articles by Don
                    Blanding

                    http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-christmas54.html

                    When I transcribed the article back in 2004, I thought I had scanned
                    the Hawaiian Life magazine cover as well, but apparently not. So
                    now I have added 3 illustrations (entire cover, illustration, and an
                    editorial blurb) at

                    Files > Illustrations > Don Blanding

                    This Santa Claus is decidedly Hawaiian!