Blanding and Christmas

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
      Maui Tom and his lovely wife Janice are interested in any information about Christmas and
      Don Blanding....did he do any artwork with a Christmas theme? Cards, post cards, Romance
      cards, Holiday cards, etc. I told them I would rack my brain for subject matter and have gone
      through all that I own but see nothing special for this holiday. Anyone else out there know of
      anything? I figure DB was single, no kids and didn't have much to celebrate at Christmas and
      didn't do anything special for it that I know of. Any takers? Aloha...tj
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
        I remember when the Balls stayed with Don in Carmel they decorated the whole
        house and had many folks stop in. Can't find that article or letter right
        now and don't recall anything about colors or cards.

        I do recall reading that the Ball's decorated a tree in blue one year and
        took it to Don, but don't recall what Christmas that was off the top of my
        head. Will let you know if I find it.

        Bev.

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 21, 2007
          He was a big time Xmas guy. I can remember we always celebrated Xmas Eve after Gramp closed the last show at the theater. Was always around midnight. Gifts were exchanged by all. Other good friends from the "hood" always showed up. Some Hawaiians (Ane's), Chinese (Lee family) Japanese (Kusinokies) Korean (Hy & Phyllis) Gramp played the piano. We all sang carols. Plenty of food and ethnic treats. Everybody brought something to eat. (Plenty good kine local kau kau). No booze. Ahwe! Allen

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
            Allen and Bev

            Thanks for sharing your experiences. We are presenting an christmas open
            house at the Inn and fundraiser for a local Hawaiian Organization so this all
            helps.

            Mahalo,
            Tom and Janice Fairbanks
            Shelly (Fairbanks) Harris
            Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
            2199 Kahookele St.
            Wailuku, HI 96793
            (808) 244-5897 local number
            (800) 305-4899 reservation line only
            mauibandb@...

            This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
            addressed and may contain confidential information. Any review, retransmission,
            dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
            prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please contact the sender by
            replying to this e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from all
            computers without reading or saving the same in any matter whatsoever.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
              Maui Tom,

              Do you do this every year? Our whole family will be there for Christmas
              ’08 and would love to attend.

              Bev.

              _____

              mauibandb@aol. <mailto:mauibandb%40aol.com> com

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
                we often do openhouse not every year but about every two or three. This
                year it is December 8. It is a fund raiser tickets are about $15.

                aloha
                Tom

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                  DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
                  Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
                  at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
                  Don Blanding.

                  There's also a Santa Claus cover illustration for one of the 1950s
                  Star-Bulletin magazines.

                  In 1954, DB wrote a lengthy article about his first Christmas in
                  Hawaii (1916).

                  I'll try to look through the 1953-1957 S-B Saturday columns later
                  this week to see what else he may have written about Christmas.
                  Quite a few columns are already transcribed and published on the
                  group website, but perhaps I can find a few more that specifically
                  relate to Christmas. As we know, DB maintained a Christmas card
                  list in the thousands. He referred to it often in his columns.

                  ~~Cadia
                • mauibandb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                    In a message dated 10/24/2007 5:41:32 PM Hawaiian Standard Time,
                    duchess@... writes:
                    Mahalo Cadia for your research.

                    DB designed Christmas wrapping paper in 1926. See Files >
                    Illustrations > Don Blanding and related articles from November 1926
                    at Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1926 Articles on
                    Don Blanding.

                    are the items below on your website or we go to Star Bulletin?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
                      Tom ...

                      "Don Blanding Recalls ... Christmas 1916," published on December 25,
                      1954, is in 2 places:

                      Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1954 Articles by Don
                      Blanding

                      http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/db-christmas54.html

                      When I transcribed the article back in 2004, I thought I had scanned
                      the Hawaiian Life magazine cover as well, but apparently not. So
                      now I have added 3 illustrations (entire cover, illustration, and an
                      editorial blurb) at

                      Files > Illustrations > Don Blanding

                      This Santa Claus is decidedly Hawaiian!