thoughts

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      After 18 days on 3 islands and being a tourist if you
      will, I wondered as I walked down some of the T-shirt
      rows, what DB would think of his efforts to promote
      tourism on the islands. I watched as cruise ships
      came in and offloaded tourists from all over the world
      and they think or thought that they had really
      experienced the "real" Hawaii while they shopped. I
      sat on some beaches observing sunsets/sunrises
      remembering DB's poetry and the way he alone could
      describe it. I think it gave me a new impression of
      DB and the love he had for the Islands though I think
      he would shudder at what he helped create in tourism.
      I took many back roads in my rental car just to see
      anything off the beaten tourist trail. It is, can be,
      lush green and homey. Just some thoughts....tj
    • Michael Pfeffer

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
          I'm back on the mainland again. We didn't go to Oahu
          this trip. Would have stopped by if we had. I'd love
          to talk with you and see your collections...tj

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
            Just some thoughts.... tj

            Wright Tom,

            I am here on Maui and wonder what Armine von Tempsky would think if she saw her island now. The paniolos ride SUV’s now and have horses only for round up and branding. They move the heards from pasture to pasture on SUV's. The ranches have very few paniolos and old hands come back for round up, branding and a get together meal after. The roads are all paved and have many cars on them. The old trails around Haleakala are over grown and gone. But the beauty of the place remains.

            Just some thoughts.