Hawaii

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2007
      On our 18 day trip I was able to meet Tom and Janice Fairbanks and Jean Souza
      (Mandarin Books of Hilo). It was so great to put the faces with the years of emails and
      discussions. Tom and Janice have a beautiful home and B&B and a great place to stay on
      future trips. We had dinner together and lots of great talk. We even talked about DB for a
      short while. Jean Souza has a beautiful shop on Hilo and is very comfortable there. With
      the help of Tom Fairbanks I was able to talk with the conservators of Blandings
      memoriabilia from the Hula Moons bar. It is stored in boxes and unavailable for viewing at
      this time. The Hotel plans has plans to revive the display in the future after they finish
      remodeling. There is no inventory list available to know exactly what is in the box(s). I
      have offered to help uncover any mysteries surrounding the box and how to display it.
      There is no known date of completion of the remodel at this time. Somewhere in my
      ephemera I have a photo of the old Hula Moon Bar and all or some of the collection. I'll
      look it up. Interesting to me was the fact that antique dealers can't keep DB stuff in stock.
      It just flys off the shelves. The dealers I spoke to all loved DB for his descriptions of
      Hawaii and his poetry. One dealer even makes Batik (I think thats the spelling) prints from
      DB's works. One dealer had a photo of Amelia Earhart and "The Duke" and starting
      describing a possible affair between them. She didn't know of the connection between
      DB/George&Dorothy Putnam/Earhhart....then throw in the Duke and she was off an
      running with her thoughts......kinda fun. She brought out another photo of George/
      Amelia/Duke (no Dorothy) all together and started wondering what else went on. KEITH:
      Do you remember a photo from several years ago that we at first thought was Don? He
      was in a bathing suit on a beach.....I saw a photo of 4 surfers, one being the Duke and this
      one person on the end was very similar to our mistaken photo. I still have the photo
      somewhere and will locate it. Not sure why I'm curious about it........enough...tj