Lurker - or - Bystander

  • AhrSea@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2007
      Lurker or Bystander, I have stood in the shadow practically since the
      inception of this excellent group who love and admire the work of our beloved DB.
      Pottery and textiles notwithstanding, I have loved Don's exquisite ability
      to string words together, weaving them into the gentle and lovely dreams that
      transport us chilly New Englanders into a multi-colored, warm paradise.
      I was introduced to DB's writing many years ago by a cousin who was also
      an admirer of Walter Benton, a contemporary of DB's who also wrote beautifully
      of love and romance.
      What I think is that in the time frame when DB and many others lived and
      worked, their sexuality, although not socially accepted, was far more "accepted"
      than it is today. Back in the '40s and '50s, most people didn't "B-z-z-z.
      B-z-z-z-z" continuously about one's activities in the boudoir. I don't think
      it was because people didn't "know", they just didn't talk about it ad
      nauseam (probably were ashamed to), and they just lay back and enjoyed the product
      that was presented.
      Back in the '50s I was a teenager, not unfamiliar with the "worldly" aspects
      of life, but transported by the beauty presented by Don, and several other
      artists of the time. It simply wasn't a serious topic of academic
      exploration for us. What we saw was what we got. We knew but chose to only enjoy.
      I do really enjoy the postings on Don though and this past couple of days
      has been the most lively it has been in a long time.
      Thanks for the entertainment!
      AhrSea

    • canoeist35
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2007
        That's a great point you've made, AhrSea. I agree, but I suspect
        many younger people assume any period before the 1960s was narrow-
        minded, conformist and intolerant. That's the cliche image that has
        been passed along, it seems; yet the truth is more interesting, as
        you say. There seemed to have been a greater zone of privacy
        allowed to individuals in the first half of the century, is my
        impression, one I pull from a grab-bag of memories, talk with family
        and friends, and reading.

        Michael