Great Post, Keith (9/14/07 7:33 AM)

  • Karen Cotter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2007
      You hit the nail squarely on the head, Keith. Don's orientation is as
      vital to understanding the man and his works as his birth in Oklahoma
      and his contacts with so many people who influenced him. To say his
      possible bi-sexuality "tarnishes" anything is as foolish as saying Walt
      Whitman's sexuality diminished his work.

      More than likely, Don's bi-sexuality enhanced his outlook on life and
      opened the world for him in ways not possible otherwise.

      Given the era in which he was born, when bi-sexuality was
      an "abomination" to the naive and while he obviously didn't muffle his
      feminine side until his older years, it may be one reason why he seem
      to morph from the rogue, lively and fun to read poet to a devout
      Christian - and a totally boring writer in my eyes - when death was
      closer than life. This subject definitely worth pondering as part of
      the whole. Frankly, I don't think we need much more evidence than that
      photo you once published, Keith, in which he was posed as a young,
      rather mythical god-like fellow - nearly naked. That was typical of
      that era and that lifestyle and settled the question for me on that day.
      Just my considered opinion......