Re: Curious

  • canoeist35
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 12, 2007
      I'm surprised to see that no one replied to my previous post
      (below). Is there really nothing known by the DB aficionados in
      this forum on such a fundamental aspect of his life? Or is this
      possibly another case of people not wanting to discuss the subject?
      That would seem the ultimate disrespect to DB, though, so I'm at a
      loss on the silence here. Not one person had a reply to make on
      this?

      Michael

      --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "canoeist35"
      <canoeist35@...> wrote:

      > This forum was suggested to me when I raised this general question
      > during some discussions of Don Blanding's Vernonware designs on
      > another board. I am curious about what, if anything, is known
      about
      > his broken engagement with Ruth Norton, and his divorce from the
      > Binney woman (whose full name I forget right now). Reading
      through
      > the biographical material I've been able to find, including the
      > timeline with all its details--plus a dozen or so of the poems--I
      > did get occasional impressions of elements that were sometimes
      parts
      > of a closeted life. Is there anything definite known about Don
      > Blanding's intimate relationships? He wrote so eloquently of
      Hawaii

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 13, 2007
        Michael,

        This board has had conversations on this subject many times over the past 7-8 years, and
        the conclusion that we have reached is that we just don't know. He had a very public
        personna, but he was in fact a very private person. His close friends were very protective
        of his privacy and he lived in a time where sexual preferences were not openly talked
        about.

        He definately had girlfriends and was engaged to be married on at least three
        occasions...and did get married once, which ended in divorce after only a few years.

        He had male companions too, for lengths of time, which seem to be more intimate than
        would be normal for a mere friendship. They too didn't last very long though.

        So the feeling is that he was probably bi-sexual, but that he was not able to committ to
        relationships for more than a year or two.

        I have been researching Don personally for almost a decade now, and I have read
        hundereds of letters to and from him; read hundreds of articles and dozens of interviews;
        met and talked to people who knew him; and I can honestly say I have never seen any
        evidence that would point one way or another as to his sexual orientation.

        And the consensus amoung us is that it doesn't really matter one way or another anyway.
        He is defined by his verse, his art, and his many creative pursuits...and not by his love life,
        or lack thereof.

        Keith Emmons

      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 13, 2007
          Thanks Keith well said

          aloha
          Maui Tom

        • Jackie Collins
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 13, 2007
            Dear Keith ~
            That was quite the most beautiful description of DB that I have
            read of late. You describe his being an artist with all the sincerity of
            an open-minded and loyal follower of his work and his soul.

            Warmest Aloha, Jackie

> [...]

            > > did get occasional impressions of elements that were sometimes
            > parts
            > > of a closeted life. Is there anything definite known about Don
            > > Blanding's intimate relationships? He wrote so eloquently of
            > Hawaii
            > > not merely for its beauty, but also for its value as a refuge from
            > > the harsher world he had known. If someone were either homosexual
            > > or sexually ambivalent, the change from Oklahoma, say, to the
            > > tolerance and relaxed atmosphere he described in Hawaii would
            > > certainly have seemed that much more like paradise. Are there any
            > > known facts that would establish an answer to that issue quite
            > > plainly, one way or the other? It would certainly seem like there
            > > must be such facts on record somewhere. Yet the overall
            > impression
            > > I've received (to date) is one of pure mystery.

          • Linda Allred
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 13, 2007
              I, personally, don't see that it matters and wouldn't want to spend the time trying to figure it out. What he's given to the world says enough as to what kind of man he was. Linda

> [...]

              > > did get occasional impressions of elements that were sometimes
              > parts
              > > of a closeted life. Is there anything definite known about Don
              > > Blanding's intimate relationships? He wrote so eloquently of
              > Hawaii
              > > not merely for its beauty, but also for its value as a refuge from
              > > the harsher world he had known. If someone were either homosexual
              > > or sexually ambivalent, the change from Oklahoma, say, to the
              > > tolerance and relaxed atmosphere he described in Hawaii would
              > > certainly have seemed that much more like paradise. Are there any
              > > known facts that would establish an answer to that issue quite
              > > plainly, one way or the other? It would certainly seem like there
              > > must be such facts on record somewhere. Yet the overall
              > impression
              > > I've received (to date) is one of pure mystery.

            • Mike Gothard
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                Hi all,

                This has been a most intriguing dialogue, though seemingly one-sided until
                now. It's interesting that we discuss the minutest of minutia regarding
                Don - his life, his art, his habits, his history - and then we feign
                disinterest in this one area of his life as though a discussion would in
                some way tarnish his image. We spend time trying to figure out what he ate
                for breakfast on a trip to California on a specific day of the year; seems
                something as pervasive as his sexual orientation would not just be as
                important but even more so given the fact that it shaped him far more than
                whether he ate bran or blueberry muffins on Thursday, April 3, 1924. I
                agree that in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. But
                neither does so much else of what we speculate and research about his life.
                We all respect his work or we probably wouldn't ponder, diagogue, and lurk
                here searching for answers and points of interest if we were apt to pass
                judgment.

                With that said, thanks, Michael, for continuing to probe with academic
                integrity. And thanks, Keith, for shedding light on this and so many other
                facets of Mr. Blanding's life.

                Have a great weekend all,
                Mike

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                  Mahalo,

                  Well done Keith!

                  Bev.

                  _____

                  --- In aloha-donblanding@ <mailto:aloha-donblanding%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                    Aloha Mike & Michael,

                    You've made good points, and they are all well taken.

                    There are about 4-5 Blanding researchers who frequent this board, and we are all busy
                    piecing together his life from obscure newspaper accounts, magazine articles, long lost
                    interviews and ebay ephemera. Blanding was after all born 114 years ago and has been
                    gone for half a century. We do not have the luxury of having previously written and
                    researched volumes of details on his life, such as you would already have for say someone
                    like Thomas Edison, Edgar Allen Poe or Gertrude Stein (because, frankly, he wasn't as
                    important as these folks). The people who knew Don well are now dead themselves. There
                    are some old-timers that knew him in his later years...but obviously no-one alive who
                    shared his early, developmental years.

                    To us, the thrill of the hunt is as enjoyable as the actual body of work that Don left behind.
                    So when one of us discovers a new clue (however small), and posts it on this board, it's the
                    detective in us gloating about finding a long-lost detail of his life. We in no way mean to
                    infer any importance to the clues (in the grand scheme of things) ...it's just fun to see little
                    slices of his life from a distance through the binoculars of time [sorry, horrible cliche].

                    Those of us who have been on this board from the beginning (Jan. 2000) have discussed
                    many complex aspects of Don's life in-depth (such as his sexuality) ...but folks who have
                    joined us in the last year or two will only see the lighter dialogue and assume everything is
                    trivial on the board. I urge all newcomers to go back and read some of our older posts for
                    more detailed talks that have already transpired.

                    The bottom line is that to try and get to the "meat" of Don's life, his feelings, dreams,
                    inclinations and quirks, we have to sort out all the finer details like where he lived, who he
                    knew, and who he wrote to. That's all we have to go on for the moment. And if discovering
                    that he had a bran muffin with Edgar Cayce on Thursday, April 3, 1924 leads to finding an
                    entry in Edgar Cayce's diary that states Don made a sexual pass at him...well then there we
                    have our proof!

                    I think most of us are mature, open-minded adults and I for one feel that if Don was
                    gay..."so what!" It wouldn't tarnish his image at all...it would just add to the interest. Most
                    of us have expressed that opinion here. It's not disinterest that keeps us from discussing it
                    (and as I said, we have talked about it in the past ad naseum) it's just that until we know
                    for sure, one way or the other, it would just be conjecture. If he was gay, it would have had
                    a huge impact on how he lived his life, who he trusted, how he separated his public
                    personna of a big, strapping ladies-man poet who was respected by men as well, from his
                    private, gentle, secluded life when not on the lecture circuit. But until we get the "smoking
                    gun" letter or diary entry which reveals his sexual preference....we plug away on the
                    research and try to build a profile of Don that is honest, sincere and revealing. It just takes
                    time. Most of us have either 9-to-5 jobs, kids, grandkids, etc... which takes up the bulk of
                    our time, and research has to wait for rare free time.

                    I will say, this is the best dialogue we've had in a long time.

                    Keith
                  • Mike Gothard
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                      Hi Keith,

                      Exactly! Thanks for the perspective. You're so right in that many of us
                      have not been in on the discussions from years ago, even though we avail
                      ourselves of the past posts. I dabble in restoring/collecting/using vintage
                      fountain pens and feel the same frustration that I'm sure many of you
                      experience when us "newbies" question or try to put two-and-two together for
                      the first time. We forget the "cloud of witnesses" that have gone before us
                      :)

                      Actually, one of the reasons I lurk here (yes, I'm afraid I am a lurker as I
                      fit squarely into your description of already having too many irons in too
                      many fires) is because of the minutia and the passion with which you guys
                      continue to search...it's facinating! I do the same in the world of
                      fountain pens as well.

                      Anyway, thanks, Keith, for your gracious response and thanks to all for
                      allowing us dabblers to dabble here. This is a great group and I consider
                      it a privilege to be part of the ongoing dialogue.

                      Have a great weekend,
                      Mike

> [...]
                      > gay, it would have had
                      > a huge impact on how he lived his life, who he trusted, how he separated
                      > his public
                      > personna of a big, strapping ladies-man poet who was respected by men as
                      > well, from his
                      > private, gentle, secluded life when not on the lecture circuit. But until
                      > we get the "smoking
                      > gun" letter or diary entry which reveals his sexual preference....we plug
                      > away on the
                      > research and try to build a profile of Don that is honest, sincere and
                      > revealing. It just takes
                      > time. Most of us have either 9-to-5 jobs, kids, grandkids, etc... which
                      > takes up the bulk of
                      > our time, and research has to wait for rare free time.
                      >
                      > I will say, this is the best dialogue we've had in a long time.

                    • canoeist35
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                        Keith, I appreciated your first reply and this additional post. I
                        had read the timeline on your website line-by-line before I ever
                        asked any questions about Don. Parts of the timeline seemed to fit
                        the classic "closeted" life--unfortunately for DB. So did some
                        aspects of the poems I read, plus some of the photos--just in my
                        opinion, of course. I am a little dubious about even the bi-sexual
                        aspect, personally, but I am a newbie on all this. I don't think
                        any of this diminishes or demeans Don Blanding in any way--if
                        anything, it only adds to the complexity and interest his life
                        presents, IMO. It may affect how some of the poetry needs to be
                        read, though. If I can venture one more thought, it seems worth
                        recollecting that he began as an ad man who knew how to craft an
                        image. Maybe he continued to feel he had to do that with some of
                        his poetry? In any event, his tenderness, humor, and decency come
                        pouring out of most of the poems and articles I have read. And,
                        later, his sadness, too. I get the impression DB's was far from a
                        simple story. My two cents here.

                        Michael

                        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "keith2draw"
                        <keith2draw@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        it's just that until we know
                        > for sure, one way or the other, it would just be conjecture. If he
                        was gay, it would have had
                        > a huge impact on how he lived his life, who he trusted, how he
                        separated his public
                        > personna of a big, strapping ladies-man poet who was respected by
                        men as well, from his
                        > private, gentle, secluded life when not on the lecture circuit.
                        But until we get the "smoking
                        > gun" letter or diary entry which reveals his sexual
                        preference....we plug away on the
                        > research and try to build a profile of Don that is honest, sincere
                        and revealing. It just takes
                        > time. Most of us have either 9-to-5 jobs, kids, grandkids, etc...
                        which takes up the bulk of
                        > our time, and research has to wait for rare free time.
                        >
                        > I will say, this is the best dialogue we've had in a long time.

                      • canoeist35
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                          --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Gothard"
                          <75vette@...> wrote:
                          > We all respect his work or we probably wouldn't ponder, dialogue,
                          and lurk
                          > here searching for answers and points of interest if we were apt to
                          pass
                          > judgment.

                          Exactly. Well said, Mike. Gaining knowledge of more of the facts of
                          his life is not to judge Don Blanding in some negative way. It is to
                          understand better. I don't think there is anything to fear from
                          knowing the truth--at least not in the case of DB! And I'm going to
                          do one of those no-no's, and maintain that Don Blanding would agree
                          with that sentiment. I appreciated reading your post.

                          Michael

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007