Re: Bidding & Snipers

  • Karen Cotter
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007

      > Any one who thinks the custom of last second bidding is unfair is
      just experiencing "sour
      > grapes" in my opinion.
      >
      > Keith

      Keith has absolutely hit the nail squarely on the head vis a vis this
      subject. Sniping is the only way to win a desireable item on eBay and
      whether you use a program or bid in person there are other things to
      consider in placing a bid. I long ago bookmarked the link (it may no
      longer exist in eBay's updated version) to all buyer's individual
      completed auctions. About 15 minutes before an auction ends, I look at
      the high bidder's past wins and see what he/she is willing to pay for a
      similar item so I have an idea of what their proxy* is. Then, when I
      snipe, if I am willing to spend a similar amount, I go even higher with
      my bid, which I place no more than 5 seconds before the auction closes.

      *a proxy is the high bid place by a bidder to cover future increased
      bids by potential other bidders, to the max which the first bidder is
      willing to pay, which does not show.

      I almost never lose an item. Bidding is a science, just like playing
      poker, and it is foolish to place bids early on. You will be outbid,
      unquestionably and only drive the ending price upward.

      Like Keith, I find the bidding strategy exciting....one naif wrote on
      an eBay board some years ago, "Bidding is so unfair! I think all the
      auctions should be extended 10 minutes so we can all get our bids in!"
      Obviously someone who does not "get it"!