Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Bidding & Snipers

  • charonkat@wmconnect.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2007
      Have you looked snipe or snide up in the dictionary? It's not a very good
      thing. Now I know how the pros do it and why I miss out.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007
        "Snipe" as the term applies to online auctions, has not hit the
        dictionary yet. The closest definition refers to hitting a target
        from a hidden position; i.e., the element of surprise. The folks on
        the Bidding board (one of eBay's discussion groups) give awards for
        really good snipes. Like 1 second, 1 penny, well below true max. A
        zero-second snipe is a work of art!

        Many eBayers use esnipe. I don't know if it's free or costs money.

        Of course, automated sniping services are useless if the price already
        exceeds one's preset bid amount. The highest bid wins, not
        necessarily the last.

        Just be cautious of "nuke" bids. Several years ago, I watched one
        auction (not a DB item) end at $10,000. The item was worth maybe
        $200. The high bidder nuked it ... but so did the underbidder. Not a
        pretty sight!

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007
          When the snipe programs first started coming out maybe 5-6 years ago, some folks were
          complaining that they were dishonest or unfair. I completely disagree.

          As I see it, there are two types of auctions. Traditional ones where people keep bidding
          until everyone has gone as high as they are willing to bid. The highest bidder wins.

          ...and timed auctions, where there is a set time limit (a week, for instance). The rules state
          that you have a week to place a bid...and it doesn't matter if you bid in the first second or
          the last...as long as you make the deadline. It doesn't make any sense at all to bid early
          though. When there is a bidding war going back and forth between two or more parties,
          it's an obvious sign of inexperienced ebayers...they are perhaps used to the traditional
          auctions where that is the way to bid.

          But with online auctions, the secret is getting in your high bid at the last second. Why, you
          may ask, do you even have the auction listed for a whole week then? That's so that you can
          attract the attention of as many people as possible. Over the course of the week, you hope
          that a dozen or more people mark the auction as 'watched' so that they can participate
          near the end.

          As a seller (I've sold over 2,000 items on ebay) I like both kinds of bidders. I love when a
          bidding war unfolds...but I also love the excitement of a last minute explosion of bids.
          Ebay is extremely addictive!

          Any one who thinks the custom of last second bidding is unfair is just experiencing "sour
          grapes" in my opinion.

          Keith
        • Karen Cotter
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 25, 2007

            > Any one who thinks the custom of last second bidding is unfair is
            just experiencing "sour
            > grapes" in my opinion.
            >
            > Keith

            Keith has absolutely hit the nail squarely on the head vis a vis this
            subject. Sniping is the only way to win a desireable item on eBay and
            whether you use a program or bid in person there are other things to
            consider in placing a bid. I long ago bookmarked the link (it may no
            longer exist in eBay's updated version) to all buyer's individual
            completed auctions. About 15 minutes before an auction ends, I look at
            the high bidder's past wins and see what he/she is willing to pay for a
            similar item so I have an idea of what their proxy* is. Then, when I
            snipe, if I am willing to spend a similar amount, I go even higher with
            my bid, which I place no more than 5 seconds before the auction closes.

            *a proxy is the high bid place by a bidder to cover future increased
            bids by potential other bidders, to the max which the first bidder is
            willing to pay, which does not show.

            I almost never lose an item. Bidding is a science, just like playing
            poker, and it is foolish to place bids early on. You will be outbid,
            unquestionably and only drive the ending price upward.

            Like Keith, I find the bidding strategy exciting....one naif wrote on
            an eBay board some years ago, "Bidding is so unfair! I think all the
            auctions should be extended 10 minutes so we can all get our bids in!"
            Obviously someone who does not "get it"!