Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Bidding

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
      The 10 second rule in bidding is good if you are
      sitting at the computer. Because I'm gone so much I
      can't use the 10 second rule. Is there another way to
      bid that I don't know of? I'm willing to learn if
      there is. I usually figure out how much I can afford
      to bid and in the last day or so just put it in and
      hope. Sometimes it works. I usually try to collect
      the paper ephemera because Wekula collects the
      pottery. I have quite a bit of it and will donate it
      at the right time. I'm torn between donating to
      Oklahoma or Hawaii. I own about 6 original art pieces
      now. I've burned them to CD's for protection and
      backup. tj

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
        tj

        Bidding in the last few seconds is called "sniping," as Cadia pointed out, and there are a
        number of programs you can get that do it for you. I use POWERSNIPE, which places my
        bid in the final 3 seconds. If I really want something, I put a really high bid in the
        program...but it will only go up to that amount if others place high bids as well. I don't
        have to be at my computer (or even in the state) and I almost always win the auction.

        The only time I bid at the beginning of an auction is if it has a 'buy it now' price, in which
        case I can get it right away...or at least by putting in the starting bid, it disables the buy it
        now feature. Otherwise I NEVER bid early.

        Now that we've given you all our trade secrests, I suppose the last few seconds of the
        Blanding auctions will be that much more exciting!

        Keith

        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

        > The 10 second rule in bidding is good if you are
        > sitting at the computer. Because I'm gone so much I
        > can't use the 10 second rule. Is there another way to
        > bid that I don't know of? I'm willing to learn if
        > there is. I usually figure out how much I can afford
        > to bid and in the last day or so just put it in and
        > hope. Sometimes it works. I usually try to collect
        > the paper ephemera because Wekula collects the
        > pottery. I have quite a bit of it and will donate it
        > at the right time. I'm torn between donating to
        > Oklahoma or Hawaii. I own about 6 original art pieces
        > now. I've burned them to CD's for protection and
        > backup. tj
        >
        > Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:
        >
        > > The recently imposed "anonymous" bidding applies
        > > only to eBay
        > > auctions that exceed $200, or that have BIN's or
        > > reserve prices at
        > > or above this amount.
        > >
        > > There's some indication that eBay may relax this
        > > lack of
        > > transparency in the near future. The whole idea
        > > was to prevent
        > > scammers from contacting underbidders with fake
        > > SCO's. Instead, a
        > > large number of bidders have stopped bidding on
        > > high-end items.
        > >
        > > However, the successful bidder's ID is always
        > > visible once the
        > > auction closes. In the most recent example, the
        > > high bidder is in
        > > Massachusetts and seems to buy autographed items,
        > > folk art and rare
        > > books. Nothing to indicate this is a Blanding
        > > collector.
        > >
        > > Keith was Bidder 6 -- darn good snipe! -- and I
        > > think TJ was Bidder
        > > 1. While the bidders' names were still visible, I
        > > did not see any
        > > other ID's that I recognized. Forgot to write down
        > > Bidders 2, 3 and
        > > 4 while I had the chance. Bidder 5 is a relative
        > > newbie, as
        > > evidence by the multiple bids. I think the winner
        > > (Bidder 7's
        > > snipe) may have bid $500 or more. That's a classic
        > > "go for broke"
        > > strategy that I don't recommend unless you're
        > > prepared to pay the
        > > piper.
        > >
        > > The trick to winning is to "bid once, bid late, bid
        > > your max." This
        > > prevents other bidders from challenging your bid and
        > > eating away the
        > > proxy. No guarantees of course, but showing your
        > > interest early on
        > > is just asking for trouble!
        > >
        > > ~~Cadia

      • Jackie Collins
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
          TJ - A cell phone/pocket pc would benefit you tremendously
          if you're a serious bidder. I have an iphone
          and can stay in touch with the stock market,
          real estate hot lists, and bidding info when I'm on the go.
          There are other PDA's which operate as a pocket pc
          to keep you in touch.

          Cadia is right, her M.O. is the way to stay ahead
          and not pay unnecessarily higher bid prices.

          Aloha, Jackie

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
            I am assuming that I can download or purchase
            powersnipe? tj

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
              Just go to their website www.powersnipe.com

              It's all online...you don't even have to download anything. They are having a secial right
              now - $46 a year until tomorrow, then it goes up to $60.

            • charonkat@wmconnect.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 25, 2007
                I am so happy you all are trying to preserve the Blanding legacy.
                I know you have a lot of his treasures as I have seen some of TJ's collection.
                Just let us know where the museum will be..... </HTML>

              • Jake Williams
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
                  I only bid one way. I put in the amount I am willing to pay.
                  If I win, good, if not well...there are other auctions and the same
                  items comes up again eventually.