Re: Bidding

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 22, 2007
      tj

      Ebay has a new policy in effect...to hide the identity of bidders in the auctions. They now only
      show bidder1, bidder2, bidder3...etc... instead of their actual ebay names.

      The only time you can see the real names is if you are the seller of the listing. So we won't
      ever know who bought the Blanding items that are sold.

      Keith

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 23, 2007
        The recently imposed "anonymous" bidding applies only to eBay
        auctions that exceed $200, or that have BIN's or reserve prices at
        or above this amount.

        There's some indication that eBay may relax this lack of
        transparency in the near future. The whole idea was to prevent
        scammers from contacting underbidders with fake SCO's. Instead, a
        large number of bidders have stopped bidding on high-end items.

        However, the successful bidder's ID is always visible once the
        auction closes. In the most recent example, the high bidder is in
        Massachusetts and seems to buy autographed items, folk art and rare
        books. Nothing to indicate this is a Blanding collector.

        Keith was Bidder 6 -- darn good snipe! -- and I think TJ was Bidder
        1. While the bidders' names were still visible, I did not see any
        other ID's that I recognized. Forgot to write down Bidders 2, 3 and
        4 while I had the chance. Bidder 5 is a relative newbie, as
        evidence by the multiple bids. I think the winner (Bidder 7's
        snipe) may have bid $500 or more. That's a classic "go for broke"
        strategy that I don't recommend unless you're prepared to pay the
        piper.

        The trick to winning is to "bid once, bid late, bid your max." This
        prevents other bidders from challenging your bid and eating away the
        proxy. No guarantees of course, but showing your interest early on
        is just asking for trouble!

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
          The 10 second rule in bidding is good if you are
          sitting at the computer. Because I'm gone so much I
          can't use the 10 second rule. Is there another way to
          bid that I don't know of? I'm willing to learn if
          there is. I usually figure out how much I can afford
          to bid and in the last day or so just put it in and
          hope. Sometimes it works. I usually try to collect
          the paper ephemera because Wekula collects the
          pottery. I have quite a bit of it and will donate it
          at the right time. I'm torn between donating to
          Oklahoma or Hawaii. I own about 6 original art pieces
          now. I've burned them to CD's for protection and
          backup. tj

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
            tj

            Bidding in the last few seconds is called "sniping," as Cadia pointed out, and there are a
            number of programs you can get that do it for you. I use POWERSNIPE, which places my
            bid in the final 3 seconds. If I really want something, I put a really high bid in the
            program...but it will only go up to that amount if others place high bids as well. I don't
            have to be at my computer (or even in the state) and I almost always win the auction.

            The only time I bid at the beginning of an auction is if it has a 'buy it now' price, in which
            case I can get it right away...or at least by putting in the starting bid, it disables the buy it
            now feature. Otherwise I NEVER bid early.

            Now that we've given you all our trade secrests, I suppose the last few seconds of the
            Blanding auctions will be that much more exciting!

            Keith

            --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

            > The 10 second rule in bidding is good if you are
            > sitting at the computer. Because I'm gone so much I
            > can't use the 10 second rule. Is there another way to
            > bid that I don't know of? I'm willing to learn if
            > there is. I usually figure out how much I can afford
            > to bid and in the last day or so just put it in and
            > hope. Sometimes it works. I usually try to collect
            > the paper ephemera because Wekula collects the
            > pottery. I have quite a bit of it and will donate it
            > at the right time. I'm torn between donating to
            > Oklahoma or Hawaii. I own about 6 original art pieces
            > now. I've burned them to CD's for protection and
            > backup. tj
            >
            > Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:
            >
            > > The recently imposed "anonymous" bidding applies
            > > only to eBay
            > > auctions that exceed $200, or that have BIN's or
            > > reserve prices at
            > > or above this amount.
            > >
            > > There's some indication that eBay may relax this
            > > lack of
            > > transparency in the near future. The whole idea
            > > was to prevent
            > > scammers from contacting underbidders with fake
            > > SCO's. Instead, a
            > > large number of bidders have stopped bidding on
            > > high-end items.
            > >
            > > However, the successful bidder's ID is always
            > > visible once the
            > > auction closes. In the most recent example, the
            > > high bidder is in
            > > Massachusetts and seems to buy autographed items,
            > > folk art and rare
            > > books. Nothing to indicate this is a Blanding
            > > collector.
            > >
            > > Keith was Bidder 6 -- darn good snipe! -- and I
            > > think TJ was Bidder
            > > 1. While the bidders' names were still visible, I
            > > did not see any
            > > other ID's that I recognized. Forgot to write down
            > > Bidders 2, 3 and
            > > 4 while I had the chance. Bidder 5 is a relative
            > > newbie, as
            > > evidence by the multiple bids. I think the winner
            > > (Bidder 7's
            > > snipe) may have bid $500 or more. That's a classic
            > > "go for broke"
            > > strategy that I don't recommend unless you're
            > > prepared to pay the
            > > piper.
            > >
            > > The trick to winning is to "bid once, bid late, bid
            > > your max." This
            > > prevents other bidders from challenging your bid and
            > > eating away the
            > > proxy. No guarantees of course, but showing your
            > > interest early on
            > > is just asking for trouble!
            > >
            > > ~~Cadia

          • Jackie Collins
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
              TJ - A cell phone/pocket pc would benefit you tremendously
              if you're a serious bidder. I have an iphone
              and can stay in touch with the stock market,
              real estate hot lists, and bidding info when I'm on the go.
              There are other PDA's which operate as a pocket pc
              to keep you in touch.

              Cadia is right, her M.O. is the way to stay ahead
              and not pay unnecessarily higher bid prices.

              Aloha, Jackie

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                I am assuming that I can download or purchase
                powersnipe? tj

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                  Just go to their website www.powersnipe.com

                  It's all online...you don't even have to download anything. They are having a secial right
                  now - $46 a year until tomorrow, then it goes up to $60.

                • charonkat@wmconnect.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 25, 2007
                    I am so happy you all are trying to preserve the Blanding legacy.
                    I know you have a lot of his treasures as I have seen some of TJ's collection.
                    Just let us know where the museum will be..... </HTML>

                  • Jake Williams
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
                      I only bid one way. I put in the amount I am willing to pay.
                      If I win, good, if not well...there are other auctions and the same
                      items comes up again eventually.