Bidding

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 21, 2007
      We have several bidders buying up DB's stuff on Ebay......bidder1 - bidder2 - bidder3.....who
      are these people? It seems like they are cornering the market on us. Are they members of
      our group or does anyone know? tj
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22, 2007
        tj

        Ebay has a new policy in effect...to hide the identity of bidders in the auctions. They now only
        show bidder1, bidder2, bidder3...etc... instead of their actual ebay names.

        The only time you can see the real names is if you are the seller of the listing. So we won't
        ever know who bought the Blanding items that are sold.

        Keith

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 23, 2007
          The recently imposed "anonymous" bidding applies only to eBay
          auctions that exceed $200, or that have BIN's or reserve prices at
          or above this amount.

          There's some indication that eBay may relax this lack of
          transparency in the near future. The whole idea was to prevent
          scammers from contacting underbidders with fake SCO's. Instead, a
          large number of bidders have stopped bidding on high-end items.

          However, the successful bidder's ID is always visible once the
          auction closes. In the most recent example, the high bidder is in
          Massachusetts and seems to buy autographed items, folk art and rare
          books. Nothing to indicate this is a Blanding collector.

          Keith was Bidder 6 -- darn good snipe! -- and I think TJ was Bidder
          1. While the bidders' names were still visible, I did not see any
          other ID's that I recognized. Forgot to write down Bidders 2, 3 and
          4 while I had the chance. Bidder 5 is a relative newbie, as
          evidence by the multiple bids. I think the winner (Bidder 7's
          snipe) may have bid $500 or more. That's a classic "go for broke"
          strategy that I don't recommend unless you're prepared to pay the
          piper.

          The trick to winning is to "bid once, bid late, bid your max." This
          prevents other bidders from challenging your bid and eating away the
          proxy. No guarantees of course, but showing your interest early on
          is just asking for trouble!

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
            The 10 second rule in bidding is good if you are
            sitting at the computer. Because I'm gone so much I
            can't use the 10 second rule. Is there another way to
            bid that I don't know of? I'm willing to learn if
            there is. I usually figure out how much I can afford
            to bid and in the last day or so just put it in and
            hope. Sometimes it works. I usually try to collect
            the paper ephemera because Wekula collects the
            pottery. I have quite a bit of it and will donate it
            at the right time. I'm torn between donating to
            Oklahoma or Hawaii. I own about 6 original art pieces
            now. I've burned them to CD's for protection and
            backup. tj

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
              tj

              Bidding in the last few seconds is called "sniping," as Cadia pointed out, and there are a
              number of programs you can get that do it for you. I use POWERSNIPE, which places my
              bid in the final 3 seconds. If I really want something, I put a really high bid in the
              program...but it will only go up to that amount if others place high bids as well. I don't
              have to be at my computer (or even in the state) and I almost always win the auction.

              The only time I bid at the beginning of an auction is if it has a 'buy it now' price, in which
              case I can get it right away...or at least by putting in the starting bid, it disables the buy it
              now feature. Otherwise I NEVER bid early.

              Now that we've given you all our trade secrests, I suppose the last few seconds of the
              Blanding auctions will be that much more exciting!

              Keith

              --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

              > The 10 second rule in bidding is good if you are
              > sitting at the computer. Because I'm gone so much I
              > can't use the 10 second rule. Is there another way to
              > bid that I don't know of? I'm willing to learn if
              > there is. I usually figure out how much I can afford
              > to bid and in the last day or so just put it in and
              > hope. Sometimes it works. I usually try to collect
              > the paper ephemera because Wekula collects the
              > pottery. I have quite a bit of it and will donate it
              > at the right time. I'm torn between donating to
              > Oklahoma or Hawaii. I own about 6 original art pieces
              > now. I've burned them to CD's for protection and
              > backup. tj
              >
              > Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:
              >
              > > The recently imposed "anonymous" bidding applies
              > > only to eBay
              > > auctions that exceed $200, or that have BIN's or
              > > reserve prices at
              > > or above this amount.
              > >
              > > There's some indication that eBay may relax this
              > > lack of
              > > transparency in the near future. The whole idea
              > > was to prevent
              > > scammers from contacting underbidders with fake
              > > SCO's. Instead, a
              > > large number of bidders have stopped bidding on
              > > high-end items.
              > >
              > > However, the successful bidder's ID is always
              > > visible once the
              > > auction closes. In the most recent example, the
              > > high bidder is in
              > > Massachusetts and seems to buy autographed items,
              > > folk art and rare
              > > books. Nothing to indicate this is a Blanding
              > > collector.
              > >
              > > Keith was Bidder 6 -- darn good snipe! -- and I
              > > think TJ was Bidder
              > > 1. While the bidders' names were still visible, I
              > > did not see any
              > > other ID's that I recognized. Forgot to write down
              > > Bidders 2, 3 and
              > > 4 while I had the chance. Bidder 5 is a relative
              > > newbie, as
              > > evidence by the multiple bids. I think the winner
              > > (Bidder 7's
              > > snipe) may have bid $500 or more. That's a classic
              > > "go for broke"
              > > strategy that I don't recommend unless you're
              > > prepared to pay the
              > > piper.
              > >
              > > The trick to winning is to "bid once, bid late, bid
              > > your max." This
              > > prevents other bidders from challenging your bid and
              > > eating away the
              > > proxy. No guarantees of course, but showing your
              > > interest early on
              > > is just asking for trouble!
              > >
              > > ~~Cadia

            • Jackie Collins
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                TJ - A cell phone/pocket pc would benefit you tremendously
                if you're a serious bidder. I have an iphone
                and can stay in touch with the stock market,
                real estate hot lists, and bidding info when I'm on the go.
                There are other PDA's which operate as a pocket pc
                to keep you in touch.

                Cadia is right, her M.O. is the way to stay ahead
                and not pay unnecessarily higher bid prices.

                Aloha, Jackie

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                  I am assuming that I can download or purchase
                  powersnipe? tj

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 24, 2007
                    Just go to their website www.powersnipe.com

                    It's all online...you don't even have to download anything. They are having a secial right
                    now - $46 a year until tomorrow, then it goes up to $60.

                  • charonkat@wmconnect.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 25, 2007
                      I am so happy you all are trying to preserve the Blanding legacy.
                      I know you have a lot of his treasures as I have seen some of TJ's collection.
                      Just let us know where the museum will be..... </HTML>

                    • Jake Williams
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
                        I only bid one way. I put in the amount I am willing to pay.
                        If I win, good, if not well...there are other auctions and the same
                        items comes up again eventually.