Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: DB letter to "Ma"

  • Jackie Collins
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
      Just a note from a BRIT, but bear in mind that
      in London (and across Europe), Mother's
      Day is always in March, which can be a
      snowy month. There are not many places
      I can call to mind where it snows in May.

      Aloha, Jackie

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
        Keith is probably right. Among all my examples of DB's signature, I
        find no "bird with a straw hat" prior to 1944.

        I also do not think DB traveled to Canada during his 1942 lecture
        tour. Reading his almost daily newspaper columns, it's pretty easy
        to figure out his route and schedule.

        DB began in Florida at the end of December 1941 and generally
        covered the Midwest and Far West. He was in Seattle in early April,
        where he wrote "Bataan Falls," then moved on to Portland. He was in
        California (Los Angeles, I think) when he registered for the draft
        in late April 1942. His return trip to Florida took him through
        Oklahoma and Texas. He arrived home in Fort Pierce barely in time
        for his 2nd wedding anniversary in mid June.

        However, the mention of Mother's Day and snow and the shivering bird
        tells me this note may have been written in Calgary about May 8,
        1957.

        I have a jumbo postcard sent on that day to Lillian Meade in Houston:

        Calgary, Canada
        Aloha

        Snowing here today, May 8, so I can't go out and find local post
        cards. Will be on move until July second.

        Happy years to you.

        Don Blanding
        May 8, 1957

        The bird appears next to Aloha and again before Lillian's name on
        the address side of the card. The subject of the card is the Trail
        Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. In 1957,
        Mother's Day was on May 12.

        This postcard is one of my special treasures -- as we know, DB died
        in Los Angeles a month and a day later.

        It makes perfect sense that DB would use hotel stationery if he was
        snowed in and needed an envelope for the enclosure.

        By the way, one of DB's Star-Bulletin columns (Sept. 1953 - July
        1957) mentions the genesis of the little bird. I'm not sure if it's
        among the columns I've transcribed, but you might have a look.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
          tj

          Cadia may be right about the date of your letter. As she said, he was in Calgary in May of
          1957 (just a month before he died) and the signature on the letter you sent me looks like his
          1950's autograph. His signatures were very sloppy near the end of his life.

          Cadia...neat postcard you got. Don also mentions the timeline for the Goofus bird in the back
          of one of his books...TODAY IS HERE, I believe.