Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: DB letter to "Ma"

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
      Thanks Cadia....I've not seen any bird signatures in
      the 20's and so was perplexed at the possible date.
      I'll keep digging also...tj

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
        Hi tj

        I've got a hunch this letter was written in the early 1940s. Don didn't start using the
        Goofus Bird, as he called it, until then. Just before he joined the Army again in the Fall of
        1942 he spent most of his time on the lecture route (mainly to get away from Dorothy). He
        may have gone up into Canada for lectures and booksignings. He also did alot of touring
        after he got out of the Army in early 1943.

        As for the "Ma" mystery...Don had a friend named Julia Robertson who he knew from
        Lawton as a child. She was the person that bought his first drawing when he was around
        12. A few years back I obtained a cache of letters from the Robertson family which was
        correspondence with Don. In them, I think he referred to her as Ma. It wasn't so much that
        he considered her a mother figure...I think lots of folks called her that because she did so
        much volunteer work with young army soldiers from the nearby base. She had them over
        for meals and let them spend the night on their leaves if they couldn't get home to their
        own folks. So she became a Mom to all those young men...and I think Don started calling
        her Ma around then. This supports the early to mid-1940s timeline, as she did this work
        during WW-II.

        If you want to send me a scan or photocopy of the letter (and especially the signature) I
        might be able to find more clues. I've gotten pretty good with dating letters by the
        signatures. It changed over the years, as you can imagine.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
          OK, I'm home now and will send off my check to you
          tomorrow. I'll copy the letter also. I agree with
          you on the Goofus Bird being a later addition to his
          signature. Thats why I questioned the signature of
          this letter to his Ma as I'd never seen one that
          early. This one has a hat on it and I believe his
          early goofus signatures were hatless....tj

          --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

          > Hi tj
          >
          > I've got a hunch this letter was written in the
          > early 1940s. Don didn't start using the
          > Goofus Bird, as he called it, until then. Just
          > before he joined the Army again in the Fall of
          > 1942 he spent most of his time on the lecture route
          > (mainly to get away from Dorothy). He
          > may have gone up into Canada for lectures and
          > booksignings. He also did alot of touring
          > after he got out of the Army in early 1943.
          >
          > As for the "Ma" mystery...Don had a friend named
          > Julia Robertson who he knew from
          > Lawton as a child. She was the person that bought
          > his first drawing when he was around
          > 12. A few years back I obtained a cache of letters
          > from the Robertson family which was
          > correspondence with Don. In them, I think he
          > referred to her as Ma. It wasn't so much that
          > he considered her a mother figure...I think lots of
          > folks called her that because she did so
          > much volunteer work with young army soldiers from
          > the nearby base. She had them over
          > for meals and let them spend the night on their
          > leaves if they couldn't get home to their
          > own folks. So she became a Mom to all those young
          > men...and I think Don started calling
          > her Ma around then. This supports the early to
          > mid-1940s timeline, as she did this work
          > during WW-II.
          >
          > If you want to send me a scan or photocopy of the
          > letter (and especially the signature) I
          > might be able to find more clues. I've gotten pretty
          > good with dating letters by the
          > signatures. It changed over the years, as you can
          > imagine.
          >
          > Keith

        • Jackie Collins
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
            Just a note from a BRIT, but bear in mind that
            in London (and across Europe), Mother's
            Day is always in March, which can be a
            snowy month. There are not many places
            I can call to mind where it snows in May.

            Aloha, Jackie

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
              Keith is probably right. Among all my examples of DB's signature, I
              find no "bird with a straw hat" prior to 1944.

              I also do not think DB traveled to Canada during his 1942 lecture
              tour. Reading his almost daily newspaper columns, it's pretty easy
              to figure out his route and schedule.

              DB began in Florida at the end of December 1941 and generally
              covered the Midwest and Far West. He was in Seattle in early April,
              where he wrote "Bataan Falls," then moved on to Portland. He was in
              California (Los Angeles, I think) when he registered for the draft
              in late April 1942. His return trip to Florida took him through
              Oklahoma and Texas. He arrived home in Fort Pierce barely in time
              for his 2nd wedding anniversary in mid June.

              However, the mention of Mother's Day and snow and the shivering bird
              tells me this note may have been written in Calgary about May 8,
              1957.

              I have a jumbo postcard sent on that day to Lillian Meade in Houston:

              Calgary, Canada
              Aloha

              Snowing here today, May 8, so I can't go out and find local post
              cards. Will be on move until July second.

              Happy years to you.

              Don Blanding
              May 8, 1957

              The bird appears next to Aloha and again before Lillian's name on
              the address side of the card. The subject of the card is the Trail
              Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. In 1957,
              Mother's Day was on May 12.

              This postcard is one of my special treasures -- as we know, DB died
              in Los Angeles a month and a day later.

              It makes perfect sense that DB would use hotel stationery if he was
              snowed in and needed an envelope for the enclosure.

              By the way, one of DB's Star-Bulletin columns (Sept. 1953 - July
              1957) mentions the genesis of the little bird. I'm not sure if it's
              among the columns I've transcribed, but you might have a look.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
                tj

                Cadia may be right about the date of your letter. As she said, he was in Calgary in May of
                1957 (just a month before he died) and the signature on the letter you sent me looks like his
                1950's autograph. His signatures were very sloppy near the end of his life.

                Cadia...neat postcard you got. Don also mentions the timeline for the Goofus bird in the back
                of one of his books...TODAY IS HERE, I believe.