Re: DB letter to "Ma"

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
      TJ, I doubt the letter was written from Canada in May 1924. DB left
      Honolulu about May 23, long after Mother's Day, and would have been
      traveling by train across Canada in early June.

      In the article he wrote about his trip to London, he specifically
      mentions spring and the flowers, not snow.

      We can also rule out May 1921, 1922 and 1923 because DB was in
      Honolulu all three years. In 1926 he was in Hollywood and in 1927
      and 1928 in Honolulu.

      Possibly 1925? I am not sure exactly when DB returned from his London-
      Paris-New York sojourn or whether he traveled via Canada after
      wintering in New York. I'll have to review the 1925 material in my
      files.

      I have a June 1927 S-B article in which DB is quoted as having left
      Hawaii five times. So far, I can account for three times (October
      1918, May 1924 and early 1926).

      Your letter might date from as early as 1916 or from sometime in 1919-
      1920. We know DB was in Honolulu in May 1917 and 1918. After leaving
      Camp Grant after November 1918, DB remained in the Chicago area until
      at least early 1920. He may well have traveled to Canada during this
      period.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
        Thanks Cadia....I've not seen any bird signatures in
        the 20's and so was perplexed at the possible date.
        I'll keep digging also...tj

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
          Hi tj

          I've got a hunch this letter was written in the early 1940s. Don didn't start using the
          Goofus Bird, as he called it, until then. Just before he joined the Army again in the Fall of
          1942 he spent most of his time on the lecture route (mainly to get away from Dorothy). He
          may have gone up into Canada for lectures and booksignings. He also did alot of touring
          after he got out of the Army in early 1943.

          As for the "Ma" mystery...Don had a friend named Julia Robertson who he knew from
          Lawton as a child. She was the person that bought his first drawing when he was around
          12. A few years back I obtained a cache of letters from the Robertson family which was
          correspondence with Don. In them, I think he referred to her as Ma. It wasn't so much that
          he considered her a mother figure...I think lots of folks called her that because she did so
          much volunteer work with young army soldiers from the nearby base. She had them over
          for meals and let them spend the night on their leaves if they couldn't get home to their
          own folks. So she became a Mom to all those young men...and I think Don started calling
          her Ma around then. This supports the early to mid-1940s timeline, as she did this work
          during WW-II.

          If you want to send me a scan or photocopy of the letter (and especially the signature) I
          might be able to find more clues. I've gotten pretty good with dating letters by the
          signatures. It changed over the years, as you can imagine.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
            OK, I'm home now and will send off my check to you
            tomorrow. I'll copy the letter also. I agree with
            you on the Goofus Bird being a later addition to his
            signature. Thats why I questioned the signature of
            this letter to his Ma as I'd never seen one that
            early. This one has a hat on it and I believe his
            early goofus signatures were hatless....tj

            --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

            > Hi tj
            >
            > I've got a hunch this letter was written in the
            > early 1940s. Don didn't start using the
            > Goofus Bird, as he called it, until then. Just
            > before he joined the Army again in the Fall of
            > 1942 he spent most of his time on the lecture route
            > (mainly to get away from Dorothy). He
            > may have gone up into Canada for lectures and
            > booksignings. He also did alot of touring
            > after he got out of the Army in early 1943.
            >
            > As for the "Ma" mystery...Don had a friend named
            > Julia Robertson who he knew from
            > Lawton as a child. She was the person that bought
            > his first drawing when he was around
            > 12. A few years back I obtained a cache of letters
            > from the Robertson family which was
            > correspondence with Don. In them, I think he
            > referred to her as Ma. It wasn't so much that
            > he considered her a mother figure...I think lots of
            > folks called her that because she did so
            > much volunteer work with young army soldiers from
            > the nearby base. She had them over
            > for meals and let them spend the night on their
            > leaves if they couldn't get home to their
            > own folks. So she became a Mom to all those young
            > men...and I think Don started calling
            > her Ma around then. This supports the early to
            > mid-1940s timeline, as she did this work
            > during WW-II.
            >
            > If you want to send me a scan or photocopy of the
            > letter (and especially the signature) I
            > might be able to find more clues. I've gotten pretty
            > good with dating letters by the
            > signatures. It changed over the years, as you can
            > imagine.
            >
            > Keith

          • Jackie Collins
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
              Just a note from a BRIT, but bear in mind that
              in London (and across Europe), Mother's
              Day is always in March, which can be a
              snowy month. There are not many places
              I can call to mind where it snows in May.

              Aloha, Jackie

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
                Keith is probably right. Among all my examples of DB's signature, I
                find no "bird with a straw hat" prior to 1944.

                I also do not think DB traveled to Canada during his 1942 lecture
                tour. Reading his almost daily newspaper columns, it's pretty easy
                to figure out his route and schedule.

                DB began in Florida at the end of December 1941 and generally
                covered the Midwest and Far West. He was in Seattle in early April,
                where he wrote "Bataan Falls," then moved on to Portland. He was in
                California (Los Angeles, I think) when he registered for the draft
                in late April 1942. His return trip to Florida took him through
                Oklahoma and Texas. He arrived home in Fort Pierce barely in time
                for his 2nd wedding anniversary in mid June.

                However, the mention of Mother's Day and snow and the shivering bird
                tells me this note may have been written in Calgary about May 8,
                1957.

                I have a jumbo postcard sent on that day to Lillian Meade in Houston:

                Calgary, Canada
                Aloha

                Snowing here today, May 8, so I can't go out and find local post
                cards. Will be on move until July second.

                Happy years to you.

                Don Blanding
                May 8, 1957

                The bird appears next to Aloha and again before Lillian's name on
                the address side of the card. The subject of the card is the Trail
                Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. In 1957,
                Mother's Day was on May 12.

                This postcard is one of my special treasures -- as we know, DB died
                in Los Angeles a month and a day later.

                It makes perfect sense that DB would use hotel stationery if he was
                snowed in and needed an envelope for the enclosure.

                By the way, one of DB's Star-Bulletin columns (Sept. 1953 - July
                1957) mentions the genesis of the little bird. I'm not sure if it's
                among the columns I've transcribed, but you might have a look.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
                  tj

                  Cadia may be right about the date of your letter. As she said, he was in Calgary in May of
                  1957 (just a month before he died) and the signature on the letter you sent me looks like his
                  1950's autograph. His signatures were very sloppy near the end of his life.

                  Cadia...neat postcard you got. Don also mentions the timeline for the Goofus bird in the back
                  of one of his books...TODAY IS HERE, I believe.