DB letter to "Ma"

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7, 2007
      I have an original letter from DB that appears to have been written and mailed from
      Canada. The letter logo is showing 3 Canadian hotels. I don't have the envelop to show me
      the date or where it was actually mailed. The text says: Hi, Ma! It's snowing up here.
      B.r.r.r....Happy Mothers Day. Buy yourself something giddly with this...Don (with usual bird
      signature). I'm interested in it because it appears to have been sent to his mom. I might
      assume it was during his trip to London in 1924? The time line is only important to me as it
      might be the earliest drawing of his famous bird/signature that I know of. I've been going
      through all that I own trying to predate the origin of the bird signature. Might this one be the
      holy grail??? There is a second bird in the letter which is a very detailed drawing of the bird
      wrapped in warm clothes a scarf and showing some scratchy eyes (like a cold or flu) and
      some rain drops coming down.
      Any ideas from all you experts out there? Did he call anyone else Ma??? The Hotels on the
      letter are the York in Calgary, the Marquis in Lethbridge and the Royal George in
      Edmonton....I assume they were owned by the same company at that time.......tj
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
        TJ, I doubt the letter was written from Canada in May 1924. DB left
        Honolulu about May 23, long after Mother's Day, and would have been
        traveling by train across Canada in early June.

        In the article he wrote about his trip to London, he specifically
        mentions spring and the flowers, not snow.

        We can also rule out May 1921, 1922 and 1923 because DB was in
        Honolulu all three years. In 1926 he was in Hollywood and in 1927
        and 1928 in Honolulu.

        Possibly 1925? I am not sure exactly when DB returned from his London-
        Paris-New York sojourn or whether he traveled via Canada after
        wintering in New York. I'll have to review the 1925 material in my
        files.

        I have a June 1927 S-B article in which DB is quoted as having left
        Hawaii five times. So far, I can account for three times (October
        1918, May 1924 and early 1926).

        Your letter might date from as early as 1916 or from sometime in 1919-
        1920. We know DB was in Honolulu in May 1917 and 1918. After leaving
        Camp Grant after November 1918, DB remained in the Chicago area until
        at least early 1920. He may well have traveled to Canada during this
        period.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
          Thanks Cadia....I've not seen any bird signatures in
          the 20's and so was perplexed at the possible date.
          I'll keep digging also...tj

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
            Hi tj

            I've got a hunch this letter was written in the early 1940s. Don didn't start using the
            Goofus Bird, as he called it, until then. Just before he joined the Army again in the Fall of
            1942 he spent most of his time on the lecture route (mainly to get away from Dorothy). He
            may have gone up into Canada for lectures and booksignings. He also did alot of touring
            after he got out of the Army in early 1943.

            As for the "Ma" mystery...Don had a friend named Julia Robertson who he knew from
            Lawton as a child. She was the person that bought his first drawing when he was around
            12. A few years back I obtained a cache of letters from the Robertson family which was
            correspondence with Don. In them, I think he referred to her as Ma. It wasn't so much that
            he considered her a mother figure...I think lots of folks called her that because she did so
            much volunteer work with young army soldiers from the nearby base. She had them over
            for meals and let them spend the night on their leaves if they couldn't get home to their
            own folks. So she became a Mom to all those young men...and I think Don started calling
            her Ma around then. This supports the early to mid-1940s timeline, as she did this work
            during WW-II.

            If you want to send me a scan or photocopy of the letter (and especially the signature) I
            might be able to find more clues. I've gotten pretty good with dating letters by the
            signatures. It changed over the years, as you can imagine.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
              OK, I'm home now and will send off my check to you
              tomorrow. I'll copy the letter also. I agree with
              you on the Goofus Bird being a later addition to his
              signature. Thats why I questioned the signature of
              this letter to his Ma as I'd never seen one that
              early. This one has a hat on it and I believe his
              early goofus signatures were hatless....tj

              --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

              > Hi tj
              >
              > I've got a hunch this letter was written in the
              > early 1940s. Don didn't start using the
              > Goofus Bird, as he called it, until then. Just
              > before he joined the Army again in the Fall of
              > 1942 he spent most of his time on the lecture route
              > (mainly to get away from Dorothy). He
              > may have gone up into Canada for lectures and
              > booksignings. He also did alot of touring
              > after he got out of the Army in early 1943.
              >
              > As for the "Ma" mystery...Don had a friend named
              > Julia Robertson who he knew from
              > Lawton as a child. She was the person that bought
              > his first drawing when he was around
              > 12. A few years back I obtained a cache of letters
              > from the Robertson family which was
              > correspondence with Don. In them, I think he
              > referred to her as Ma. It wasn't so much that
              > he considered her a mother figure...I think lots of
              > folks called her that because she did so
              > much volunteer work with young army soldiers from
              > the nearby base. She had them over
              > for meals and let them spend the night on their
              > leaves if they couldn't get home to their
              > own folks. So she became a Mom to all those young
              > men...and I think Don started calling
              > her Ma around then. This supports the early to
              > mid-1940s timeline, as she did this work
              > during WW-II.
              >
              > If you want to send me a scan or photocopy of the
              > letter (and especially the signature) I
              > might be able to find more clues. I've gotten pretty
              > good with dating letters by the
              > signatures. It changed over the years, as you can
              > imagine.
              >
              > Keith

            • Jackie Collins
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
                Just a note from a BRIT, but bear in mind that
                in London (and across Europe), Mother's
                Day is always in March, which can be a
                snowy month. There are not many places
                I can call to mind where it snows in May.

                Aloha, Jackie

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
                  Keith is probably right. Among all my examples of DB's signature, I
                  find no "bird with a straw hat" prior to 1944.

                  I also do not think DB traveled to Canada during his 1942 lecture
                  tour. Reading his almost daily newspaper columns, it's pretty easy
                  to figure out his route and schedule.

                  DB began in Florida at the end of December 1941 and generally
                  covered the Midwest and Far West. He was in Seattle in early April,
                  where he wrote "Bataan Falls," then moved on to Portland. He was in
                  California (Los Angeles, I think) when he registered for the draft
                  in late April 1942. His return trip to Florida took him through
                  Oklahoma and Texas. He arrived home in Fort Pierce barely in time
                  for his 2nd wedding anniversary in mid June.

                  However, the mention of Mother's Day and snow and the shivering bird
                  tells me this note may have been written in Calgary about May 8,
                  1957.

                  I have a jumbo postcard sent on that day to Lillian Meade in Houston:

                  Calgary, Canada
                  Aloha

                  Snowing here today, May 8, so I can't go out and find local post
                  cards. Will be on move until July second.

                  Happy years to you.

                  Don Blanding
                  May 8, 1957

                  The bird appears next to Aloha and again before Lillian's name on
                  the address side of the card. The subject of the card is the Trail
                  Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. In 1957,
                  Mother's Day was on May 12.

                  This postcard is one of my special treasures -- as we know, DB died
                  in Los Angeles a month and a day later.

                  It makes perfect sense that DB would use hotel stationery if he was
                  snowed in and needed an envelope for the enclosure.

                  By the way, one of DB's Star-Bulletin columns (Sept. 1953 - July
                  1957) mentions the genesis of the little bird. I'm not sure if it's
                  among the columns I've transcribed, but you might have a look.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 12, 2007
                    tj

                    Cadia may be right about the date of your letter. As she said, he was in Calgary in May of
                    1957 (just a month before he died) and the signature on the letter you sent me looks like his
                    1950's autograph. His signatures were very sloppy near the end of his life.

                    Cadia...neat postcard you got. Don also mentions the timeline for the Goofus bird in the back
                    of one of his books...TODAY IS HERE, I believe.