Re: I need help in identifying 3 Blanding drawings

  • lowry66
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2007
      Hello Keith,
      What a great find. We have a set in our collection as well as a
      fourth from the series. They are printed on rather light weight
      glossy paper, very similar to the pages of a magazine. Hand written
      on one of them is the comment "Drawings For Junior League Fashion
      Show." Off hand, it looks like it could be Don's handwriting but I
      don't have anything handy to compare it to but the signature on the
      print. I do not have a date, but speculated that it was Honolulu in
      the 1920s. When I get a chance I will go through my notes and if
      there is any other information. They measure 19 x 26.5cm. I've
      uploaded photos of the fourth illustration as well as the inscription
      to a Junior League folder in the same folder as your photo.
      Hope this helps. They really are terrific pieces.
      Jim Whiteley

      --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "keith2draw"

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2007
        I think Jim has nailed it, but which year is the question.

        The auction clearly specifies "prints" and I queried the seller on
        this point while considering a bid. The notes added to the auction
        are in reference to my query. (The seller still can't
        spell "crinoline" but ....) And yes, I was prepared with a 1-second
        snipe if Keith's 7-second bid had been challenged!

        Keith, take a look at the S-B material you have from March through May
        1927 and October 1927. DB illustrated spring and fall "Fashion
        Numbers" and also did the "jewels" illustrations for Wall & Dougherty
        during this period. Is it possible the special newspaper sections
        were connected in some way to a Junior League fashon show that year?
        I'm sure I would have copied any relevant information, but all I have
        are copies of a few DB illustrations, no references to the Junior
        League.

        As shown by the examples in Files>Don Blanding>Illustrations, the 1927
        S-B illustrations are very much in the style of the illustrations
        shown by Jim and Keith.

        As you all may be aware, between us Keith and I have read the
        S-B from 1921 through 1928, except for the latter half of 1924
        (microfilm coming) and the elusive May 1923 (microfilm may not
        exist!). In all of this, the only reference I see so far connecting
        DB and the Junior League is the May 1928 production of "Hula Moon."
        These drawings are NOT for that production.

        Except for the notation on Jim's illustration, I would have said that
        Keith's latest acquisitions might have been from any of the various
        pageants DB produced while he lived in Honolulu, including those for
        Mardi Gras (1924), the Quat'z Arts balls, and assorted organizations.

        We can safely rule out 1917 (no DB pageants that year), 1918-1920 (DB
        was either in the army or away from Honolulu), and 1926 (DB was in Los
        Angeles most of the year).

        Does anyone have a means of contacting the Junior League in Honolulu
        to find out what may be in their archives?

        ~~Cadia
      • Curt Blanding
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28, 2007
          >We can safely rule out 1917 (no DB pageants that year), 1918-1920 (DB
          >was either in the army or away from Honolulu), and 1926 (DB was in Los
          >Angeles most of the year).

          According to the Diamond Head Theater website (aka Honolulu Community
          Theater), they had a play called "The Monkey's Paw" in the 1920-21
          Season. The Monkey in one illustration makes me wonder if this might
          have been connected to that play.

          I don't know how to contact them to find out any more information
          they may have. We know that Don was actively involved with them from
          1916 on for several years.

          By the way, I spent about 4 hours looking thru all of Don's books and
          I didn't find anything close to these. It was pretty fun looking
          thru the books!

          Curt
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28, 2007
            Blanding collector Anthony Capili has identified the drawings as coming from the show
            "Fashions of 1927"-- he has a copy of the program.

            Tony outbid Tom and myself for this program a few months ago.

            He's sending me scans of the program soon.

            Keith

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2007
              Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
              From: Cadia Los <duchess@...>
              To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: Identifying 3 Blanding drawings

              I may have narrowed down the search, although I have only one tiny
              bit of information. The Junior League of Honolulu presented a
              fashion show on March 24, 1927. The following item appeared in the
              Star-Bulletin on March 12:

              Local Compositions
              Part of League Show

              Everyone who knows Alexander Anderson's music is looking forward
              eagerly to the epilogue which he has written in conjunction with
              Mrs. Cato Glover, for the fashion show to be given by the Junior
              League of Honolulu on Thursday evening, March 24. He has composed
              three charming new songs for this part of the program, and his wife,
              known as Peggy Carter [sic], who has not been heard in Honolulu for
              some time, will sing the leading role.

              ******

              Of course, the name of the singer is Peggy Center, who was a protege
              of Nellie Melba 10 years earlier. The only reason I happen to have
              this one paragraph is that it is directly beneath an article about
              the Footlights Club, in whose production of "Outward Bound" Don
              Blanding was appearing on March 15-16.

              The Wall & Dougherty ads ran from March 5-26, and the S-B's Spring
              Fashion Number whose "cover" is illustrated by DB appeared on March
              31. I have that large illustration of a "peacock girl" in 4 pieces
              and will try to scan at least one segment so you can see the
              similarities.