Re: Vagabond's Return, Oregon Journal, February 24, 1952

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
      Allen, thanks for narrowing down DB's return to Honolulu and
      confirming that his trip to Micronesia actually lasted less than one
      year.

      The articles I have from the Star-Bulletin of September 1953 are a bit
      vague, but suggest that DB returned to Hawaii in September when he
      agreed to write a weekly column for the then-new magazine section.
      The Hawaii Newspaper index contains no citations for DB between May
      and August 1953; perhaps I should read microfilm anyway just in case
      the indexers overlooked something. (It's happened in other instances,
      believe me!) Any firm dates you can provide would be much appreciated.

      In my collection I found the snapshot, which is inscribed and dated
      July 27, 1952. Clearly it is the same photo published with the
      article in February 1952; I have added it to the Files.

      Keith, it is a wonderful article, isn't it? The folded page sent to
      me (by a lady on the Kitsap Peninsula who happened to stumble across
      my website) is so fragile, brown and brittle that I plan to make
      photocopies so I can pack away the original.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
        I've also added a larger version of DB and the Bend ducks to my
        Webshots album:

        http://community.webshots.com/user/glassduchess

        so you can create a screensaver if you wish.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
          Have been on the road the last 7 weeks and am catching
          up with emails. I'm stealing a phone line from a
          friend today. Spent 4 weeks in Yuma and did some
          walking and talking about DB while there. Met one
          lady who knew of him and remembered him from Florida
          but she had no new info. She called all her 80+ years
          friends and some remembered articles of him or by him
          in the Yuma Sun Newspaper. Researched those yet
          Keith? If not, I'll order them when I get back home.
          Nothing else new or significant in Yuma. Will head to
          Taos next year.....tj