Re: Vagabond's Return, Oregon Journal, February 24, 1952

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
      Cadia,

      That's for the article...one of the best articles I've read about Don...and I've read hundreds of
      them!

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
        Allen, thanks for narrowing down DB's return to Honolulu and
        confirming that his trip to Micronesia actually lasted less than one
        year.

        The articles I have from the Star-Bulletin of September 1953 are a bit
        vague, but suggest that DB returned to Hawaii in September when he
        agreed to write a weekly column for the then-new magazine section.
        The Hawaii Newspaper index contains no citations for DB between May
        and August 1953; perhaps I should read microfilm anyway just in case
        the indexers overlooked something. (It's happened in other instances,
        believe me!) Any firm dates you can provide would be much appreciated.

        In my collection I found the snapshot, which is inscribed and dated
        July 27, 1952. Clearly it is the same photo published with the
        article in February 1952; I have added it to the Files.

        Keith, it is a wonderful article, isn't it? The folded page sent to
        me (by a lady on the Kitsap Peninsula who happened to stumble across
        my website) is so fragile, brown and brittle that I plan to make
        photocopies so I can pack away the original.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
          I've also added a larger version of DB and the Bend ducks to my
          Webshots album:

          http://community.webshots.com/user/glassduchess

          so you can create a screensaver if you wish.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
            Have been on the road the last 7 weeks and am catching
            up with emails. I'm stealing a phone line from a
            friend today. Spent 4 weeks in Yuma and did some
            walking and talking about DB while there. Met one
            lady who knew of him and remembered him from Florida
            but she had no new info. She called all her 80+ years
            friends and some remembered articles of him or by him
            in the Yuma Sun Newspaper. Researched those yet
            Keith? If not, I'll order them when I get back home.
            Nothing else new or significant in Yuma. Will head to
            Taos next year.....tj