Re: [aloha-donblanding] Vagabond's Return, Oregon Journal, February 24, 1952

  • Allen
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8 5:01 PM
      Cadia: Not to nit pick but I arrived in Honolulu to live with my Grandparents and "Uncle Don" in July of i953. He had returned from his journey with Ted Narramore on the MV Tiomkin in late May and by July the guts of Joy is an Inside Job had been delivered to Dodd Mead. I have some letters from Don postmarked July and August 1953 in my collection of artifacts. Keep on researching! Best regards, Allen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9 7:53 AM
        Cadia,

        That's for the article...one of the best articles I've read about Don...and I've read hundreds of
        them!

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10 7:02 AM
          Allen, thanks for narrowing down DB's return to Honolulu and
          confirming that his trip to Micronesia actually lasted less than one
          year.

          The articles I have from the Star-Bulletin of September 1953 are a bit
          vague, but suggest that DB returned to Hawaii in September when he
          agreed to write a weekly column for the then-new magazine section.
          The Hawaii Newspaper index contains no citations for DB between May
          and August 1953; perhaps I should read microfilm anyway just in case
          the indexers overlooked something. (It's happened in other instances,
          believe me!) Any firm dates you can provide would be much appreciated.

          In my collection I found the snapshot, which is inscribed and dated
          July 27, 1952. Clearly it is the same photo published with the
          article in February 1952; I have added it to the Files.

          Keith, it is a wonderful article, isn't it? The folded page sent to
          me (by a lady on the Kitsap Peninsula who happened to stumble across
          my website) is so fragile, brown and brittle that I plan to make
          photocopies so I can pack away the original.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10 7:53 AM
            I've also added a larger version of DB and the Bend ducks to my
            Webshots album:

            http://community.webshots.com/user/glassduchess

            so you can create a screensaver if you wish.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17 3:00 PM
              Have been on the road the last 7 weeks and am catching
              up with emails. I'm stealing a phone line from a
              friend today. Spent 4 weeks in Yuma and did some
              walking and talking about DB while there. Met one
              lady who knew of him and remembered him from Florida
              but she had no new info. She called all her 80+ years
              friends and some remembered articles of him or by him
              in the Yuma Sun Newspaper. Researched those yet
              Keith? If not, I'll order them when I get back home.
              Nothing else new or significant in Yuma. Will head to
              Taos next year.....tj