Vagabond's Return, Oregon Journal, February 24, 1952

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
      Someone recently sent me a one-page article about Don Blanding
      published in the Oregon Journal, Sunday magazine, on February 24, 1952.

      I have transcribed the article in the Files at Files>Publications>
      Oregon Journal.

      I may have an original photo that shows DB feeding the ducks, or at
      least one similar to the photo that accompanied the article, and will
      try to provide a scan later.

      The article confirms that DB spent the summers of 1909, 1910 and 1911
      in Yellowstone Park. It also describes the influence of Chin Chong,
      the candlemaker (whose name is spelled incorrectly as Ching-Chong) on
      DB's choice of brush and ink as a medium. The article also mentions
      DB's return to Bend in the spring of 1951 for two weeks -- and his
      decision to stay for an undetermined time.

      As we know, DB remained in Bend until late August 1952, when he once
      again traveled to Hawaii en route to Micronesia for about a year. My
      notes show that DB settled in Hawaii in September 1953, after a quick
      trip to the mainland, and remained there for two years, except for
      brief book/lecture tours.

      Enjoy!

      ~~Cadia
    • Allen

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
          Cadia,

          That's for the article...one of the best articles I've read about Don...and I've read hundreds of
          them!

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
            Allen, thanks for narrowing down DB's return to Honolulu and
            confirming that his trip to Micronesia actually lasted less than one
            year.

            The articles I have from the Star-Bulletin of September 1953 are a bit
            vague, but suggest that DB returned to Hawaii in September when he
            agreed to write a weekly column for the then-new magazine section.
            The Hawaii Newspaper index contains no citations for DB between May
            and August 1953; perhaps I should read microfilm anyway just in case
            the indexers overlooked something. (It's happened in other instances,
            believe me!) Any firm dates you can provide would be much appreciated.

            In my collection I found the snapshot, which is inscribed and dated
            July 27, 1952. Clearly it is the same photo published with the
            article in February 1952; I have added it to the Files.

            Keith, it is a wonderful article, isn't it? The folded page sent to
            me (by a lady on the Kitsap Peninsula who happened to stumble across
            my website) is so fragile, brown and brittle that I plan to make
            photocopies so I can pack away the original.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
              I've also added a larger version of DB and the Bend ducks to my
              Webshots album:

              http://community.webshots.com/user/glassduchess

              so you can create a screensaver if you wish.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
                Have been on the road the last 7 weeks and am catching
                up with emails. I'm stealing a phone line from a
                friend today. Spent 4 weeks in Yuma and did some
                walking and talking about DB while there. Met one
                lady who knew of him and remembered him from Florida
                but she had no new info. She called all her 80+ years
                friends and some remembered articles of him or by him
                in the Yuma Sun Newspaper. Researched those yet
                Keith? If not, I'll order them when I get back home.
                Nothing else new or significant in Yuma. Will head to
                Taos next year.....tj