Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Miss Ruth Norton

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 20, 2007
      Aloha Keith

      I asked Kumu Hula Hokulani Holt Padilla about Kao'o and this is what her
      response was.

      Hi…hi…
      The person that pops into my mind is an old Kumu Hula called Antone Kao’o.
      He was pretty well known in his day and was connected to Kalakaua’s court I
      believe. I don’t know if you’ll find anything about him outside of Bishop
      Museum.
      Hope this helps.
      Hoku
      <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
      http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
      safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
      web, free AOL Mail and much more.

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 24, 2007
        Aloha from Maui,

        Hal & I spent a few hours at the Kahalui Library today looking at old Paradise of the pacific magazines, not microfilm.

        Jan 1923 had a whole article with 3 photos of Don as Pan.
        Feb. 1924 had nothing and Hal looked before and after Feb. and found nothing.
        Sept. and Dec. 1925 again had a photo of Pan (Don- fishing)
        June 1927 has Sea Butterflies poem and photo.

        There are places that look like Don's art work and I coped 3 of them and will send them along. Our scanner here isn't working so will have to send them on to you and Keith. Send me addresses or I will do it when I get back home. Your address are not on this computer.

        With aloha to all.

        Bev.

        Oh!

        I am trying to get access to the Community College Library. They are only letting student into the archives now. So old papers I use to see on microfilm, I no longer have access to.

      • Jackie Collins-Buck
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
          Dear Bev
          Great research on your part. I am impressed
          at what you were able to turn up.

          I'm also impressed that you recognized Don's
          art work.. Keep up the good work.

          Aloha.........Jackie

          P. S. Kahului not Kahalui
          ...sorry , I'm a Maui girl........

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
            Bev ...

            I'm glad you were able to locate the pre-1930 Paradise of the
            Pacific magazines to which I do not have direct access in Seattle.
            My mailing address appears on my website

            http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/

            but no hurry ... whatever you find can wait until you get back to
            the mainland. I'll be interested to see the drawings you think may
            be by DB, too.

            Keith lists citations from the magazine as follows:

            PARADISE of the PACIFIC
            Jan 1923
            Feb 1924 -- scratch this one
            Sept & Dec 1925
            June 1927
            June & Dec 1930
            Jan 1931
            Dec 1932 -- scratch this one
            Jan 1935
            Oct 1944 -- scratch this one

            So you can confirm Dec. 1925? That one did not come up when I did
            an online query for DB citations.

            I have been able to make copies of June and Dec. 1930 and Jan. 1931
            and have ordered a copy of the Jan. 1935 article by Vera Sloan. I
            looked at bound volumes of 1932 and 1944 and did not find anything
            related to DB.

            Good luck in convincing Maui CC that you need access to their
            archives. Feel free to mention the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors
            Society if that will help!

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 26 7:38 AM
              I'm just catching up with all the news of 2 months
              ago.....There was an article done by Blanding for the
              Carmel Pine Cone about a then 16 year old female
              pilot. I interviewed her and she related that she
              later became a pilot that ferried bombers around the
              U.S. in WW2. She mentioned going to Florida and I
              wonder if she knew Ms. Norton? I'll do some checking
              and see if we might be lucky on this one. Never
              know....tj