Re: Miss Ruth Norton

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 17, 2007
      Cadia,

      I never thanked you for the last info on Prof. Stevenson Smith - Thanks! I have still to
      check on Bradford Smith Mattson and Charles Ruggles.

      I did come across another lead though. The author of a book on the history of the airbase
      that Ruth managed in the 1940s sent me a copy of a lenghy newspaper article on Ruth
      from 1942.

      It reveals a number of new details, including the fact that she remarried after the professor
      and had two children. These kids, if alive today, would be 72 and 74-years-old...so I'll try
      and track them down as well.

      There is a great story of Ruth almost drowning while attempting to surf in Hawaii and
      eight Olympic swimmers coming to her rescue. She was apparently the first white woman
      ever taught the Hula by the famous Kaao (anyone ever heard of him/her?) Ruth spoke
      fluent Hawaiian.

      Also, she worked as a buyer of accessories at I. Magnin & Co. in Seattle before moving on
      to the Mandel Brothers in Chicago and then managing nine I. Miller stores in New York.
      Her husband, Morris Natelson, was from NY. They divorced in 1940.

      Keith
    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 20, 2007
        Aloha Keith

        I asked Kumu Hula Hokulani Holt Padilla about Kao'o and this is what her
        response was.

        Hi…hi…
        The person that pops into my mind is an old Kumu Hula called Antone Kao’o.
        He was pretty well known in his day and was connected to Kalakaua’s court I
        believe. I don’t know if you’ll find anything about him outside of Bishop
        Museum.
        Hope this helps.
        Hoku
        <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
        http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
        safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
        web, free AOL Mail and much more.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 24, 2007
          Aloha from Maui,

          Hal & I spent a few hours at the Kahalui Library today looking at old Paradise of the pacific magazines, not microfilm.

          Jan 1923 had a whole article with 3 photos of Don as Pan.
          Feb. 1924 had nothing and Hal looked before and after Feb. and found nothing.
          Sept. and Dec. 1925 again had a photo of Pan (Don- fishing)
          June 1927 has Sea Butterflies poem and photo.

          There are places that look like Don's art work and I coped 3 of them and will send them along. Our scanner here isn't working so will have to send them on to you and Keith. Send me addresses or I will do it when I get back home. Your address are not on this computer.

          With aloha to all.

          Bev.

          Oh!

          I am trying to get access to the Community College Library. They are only letting student into the archives now. So old papers I use to see on microfilm, I no longer have access to.

        • Jackie Collins-Buck
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
            Dear Bev
            Great research on your part. I am impressed
            at what you were able to turn up.

            I'm also impressed that you recognized Don's
            art work.. Keep up the good work.

            Aloha.........Jackie

            P. S. Kahului not Kahalui
            ...sorry , I'm a Maui girl........

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
              Bev ...

              I'm glad you were able to locate the pre-1930 Paradise of the
              Pacific magazines to which I do not have direct access in Seattle.
              My mailing address appears on my website

              http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/

              but no hurry ... whatever you find can wait until you get back to
              the mainland. I'll be interested to see the drawings you think may
              be by DB, too.

              Keith lists citations from the magazine as follows:

              PARADISE of the PACIFIC
              Jan 1923
              Feb 1924 -- scratch this one
              Sept & Dec 1925
              June 1927
              June & Dec 1930
              Jan 1931
              Dec 1932 -- scratch this one
              Jan 1935
              Oct 1944 -- scratch this one

              So you can confirm Dec. 1925? That one did not come up when I did
              an online query for DB citations.

              I have been able to make copies of June and Dec. 1930 and Jan. 1931
              and have ordered a copy of the Jan. 1935 article by Vera Sloan. I
              looked at bound volumes of 1932 and 1944 and did not find anything
              related to DB.

              Good luck in convincing Maui CC that you need access to their
              archives. Feel free to mention the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors
              Society if that will help!

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                I'm just catching up with all the news of 2 months
                ago.....There was an article done by Blanding for the
                Carmel Pine Cone about a then 16 year old female
                pilot. I interviewed her and she related that she
                later became a pilot that ferried bombers around the
                U.S. in WW2. She mentioned going to Florida and I
                wonder if she knew Ms. Norton? I'll do some checking
                and see if we might be lucky on this one. Never
                know....tj