Re: Miss Ruth Norton

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
      Thanks Bev,

      Can you also look in the index for Leatrice Joy?

      Have a great trip. I'm jealous, as we are having a very snowy winter here in Colorado!!!

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
        Keith, I'll check the December 1920 and April 1925 Seattle papers when
        I get a chance. Perhaps another expedition to the Seattle Room
        (special collections) at the main library is in order, too.

        The Hawaii Newspaper Index starts with 1929. Not much chance that
        Leatrice Joy would be mentioned that late, but it's worth a try. She
        was very popular in Hawaii during the early 1920s.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
          Keith, you've found out more on Ruth Norton in the past 24 hours than
          we did in the past 3 years! Good work!

          I checked the SSDI and found a number of Ruth Nortons, but none with a
          December 1900 birthdate. Either she never collected benefits or she
          changed her name!

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007
              Tonight I stopped by the lubrary to return a book and decided to
              look for an obit for Prof. Stevenson Smith, 67, who died November
              27, 1950, in a Seattle hospital.

              No mention of Ruth Norton, but I did glean the name of his second
              wife, his daughter, and 2 addresses where the family lived between
              1948 and 1951.

              From the obit in The Seattle Times (Nov. 28):

              "Surviving are his wife, Dorothy, of 3933 Belvoir Place; a daughter,
              Mrs. Bradford Mattson, Seattle, and a grandchild."

              At first glance, it would seem that "Bradford" was the husband's
              name, but the funeral notice published the next day provides better
              information:

              "Beloved husband of Dorothy Davidson Smith; father of Mrs. Bradford
              Smith Mattson; brother of Mrs. Charles Ruggles, Berkeley,
              California. Memorial services Thursday 10 a.m., Christ Episcopal
              Church. In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to
              millionaires Club Charity or Heart Fund. Forkner's, directing."

              The form of Mrs. Mattson's name suggest she may have been a young
              widow. If she were a divocee, her name would have been given as
              Mrs. Smith Mattson, following the custom of the time. On the other
              hand, use of the daughter's given name specifically identifies her,
              which would be more appropriate in this instance.

              The Smith residence on Belvoir Place (now NE Belvoir Place) was in
              the Laurelhurst neighborhood, east of the UW on Union Bay.
              Expensive real estate these days!

              In checking the 1948-1949 and 1950-1951 Seattle city directories, I
              found no Bradford Mattson, though there were plenty of Mattsons.
              Possibly Bradford was living with her parents; I have not had a
              chance to cross-check the reverse directory.

              In the earlier directory, Professor Smith is listed at 4515 Brooklyn
              Ave. (now NE), which is about a block north of where the Safeco
              building has stood for decades. (It's the tallest building in the
              University District.) The later directory lists the address cited
              in the obituary. Professor Smith began teaching at the University
              of Washington in 1911 and served as head of the psychology
              department from 1919 until 1948, when he retired. He continued to
              serve as a professor in the department and as Director of the
              Institute of Child Development.

              I still need to take a look at the 1920 and 1925 local newspapers to
              see what I can find out about Ruth and Dorothy's respective weddings.

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 17, 2007
                Cadia,

                I never thanked you for the last info on Prof. Stevenson Smith - Thanks! I have still to
                check on Bradford Smith Mattson and Charles Ruggles.

                I did come across another lead though. The author of a book on the history of the airbase
                that Ruth managed in the 1940s sent me a copy of a lenghy newspaper article on Ruth
                from 1942.

                It reveals a number of new details, including the fact that she remarried after the professor
                and had two children. These kids, if alive today, would be 72 and 74-years-old...so I'll try
                and track them down as well.

                There is a great story of Ruth almost drowning while attempting to surf in Hawaii and
                eight Olympic swimmers coming to her rescue. She was apparently the first white woman
                ever taught the Hula by the famous Kaao (anyone ever heard of him/her?) Ruth spoke
                fluent Hawaiian.

                Also, she worked as a buyer of accessories at I. Magnin & Co. in Seattle before moving on
                to the Mandel Brothers in Chicago and then managing nine I. Miller stores in New York.
                Her husband, Morris Natelson, was from NY. They divorced in 1940.

                Keith
              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 20, 2007
                  Aloha Keith

                  I asked Kumu Hula Hokulani Holt Padilla about Kao'o and this is what her
                  response was.

                  Hi…hi…
                  The person that pops into my mind is an old Kumu Hula called Antone Kao’o.
                  He was pretty well known in his day and was connected to Kalakaua’s court I
                  believe. I don’t know if you’ll find anything about him outside of Bishop
                  Museum.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Hoku
                  <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
                  http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
                  safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
                  web, free AOL Mail and much more.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 24, 2007
                    Aloha from Maui,

                    Hal & I spent a few hours at the Kahalui Library today looking at old Paradise of the pacific magazines, not microfilm.

                    Jan 1923 had a whole article with 3 photos of Don as Pan.
                    Feb. 1924 had nothing and Hal looked before and after Feb. and found nothing.
                    Sept. and Dec. 1925 again had a photo of Pan (Don- fishing)
                    June 1927 has Sea Butterflies poem and photo.

                    There are places that look like Don's art work and I coped 3 of them and will send them along. Our scanner here isn't working so will have to send them on to you and Keith. Send me addresses or I will do it when I get back home. Your address are not on this computer.

                    With aloha to all.

                    Bev.

                    Oh!

                    I am trying to get access to the Community College Library. They are only letting student into the archives now. So old papers I use to see on microfilm, I no longer have access to.

                  • Jackie Collins-Buck
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                      Dear Bev
                      Great research on your part. I am impressed
                      at what you were able to turn up.

                      I'm also impressed that you recognized Don's
                      art work.. Keep up the good work.

                      Aloha.........Jackie

                      P. S. Kahului not Kahalui
                      ...sorry , I'm a Maui girl........

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                        Bev ...

                        I'm glad you were able to locate the pre-1930 Paradise of the
                        Pacific magazines to which I do not have direct access in Seattle.
                        My mailing address appears on my website

                        http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/

                        but no hurry ... whatever you find can wait until you get back to
                        the mainland. I'll be interested to see the drawings you think may
                        be by DB, too.

                        Keith lists citations from the magazine as follows:

                        PARADISE of the PACIFIC
                        Jan 1923
                        Feb 1924 -- scratch this one
                        Sept & Dec 1925
                        June 1927
                        June & Dec 1930
                        Jan 1931
                        Dec 1932 -- scratch this one
                        Jan 1935
                        Oct 1944 -- scratch this one

                        So you can confirm Dec. 1925? That one did not come up when I did
                        an online query for DB citations.

                        I have been able to make copies of June and Dec. 1930 and Jan. 1931
                        and have ordered a copy of the Jan. 1935 article by Vera Sloan. I
                        looked at bound volumes of 1932 and 1944 and did not find anything
                        related to DB.

                        Good luck in convincing Maui CC that you need access to their
                        archives. Feel free to mention the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors
                        Society if that will help!

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                          I'm just catching up with all the news of 2 months
                          ago.....There was an article done by Blanding for the
                          Carmel Pine Cone about a then 16 year old female
                          pilot. I interviewed her and she related that she
                          later became a pilot that ferried bombers around the
                          U.S. in WW2. She mentioned going to Florida and I
                          wonder if she knew Ms. Norton? I'll do some checking
                          and see if we might be lucky on this one. Never
                          know....tj