Miss Ruth Norton

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
      I HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN KEITH AND WILL LOOK HER UP IN THE INDEX FOR
      THE ADVERTISER AND STAR BULLETIN WHEN ON MAUI. I WILL BE IN THE LIBRARY
      READING MICROFILM MOST DAYS ON THIS TRIP. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND.

      BEV.

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
        Thanks Bev,

        Can you also look in the index for Leatrice Joy?

        Have a great trip. I'm jealous, as we are having a very snowy winter here in Colorado!!!

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
          Keith, I'll check the December 1920 and April 1925 Seattle papers when
          I get a chance. Perhaps another expedition to the Seattle Room
          (special collections) at the main library is in order, too.

          The Hawaii Newspaper Index starts with 1929. Not much chance that
          Leatrice Joy would be mentioned that late, but it's worth a try. She
          was very popular in Hawaii during the early 1920s.

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
            Keith, you've found out more on Ruth Norton in the past 24 hours than
            we did in the past 3 years! Good work!

            I checked the SSDI and found a number of Ruth Nortons, but none with a
            December 1900 birthdate. Either she never collected benefits or she
            changed her name!

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007
                Tonight I stopped by the lubrary to return a book and decided to
                look for an obit for Prof. Stevenson Smith, 67, who died November
                27, 1950, in a Seattle hospital.

                No mention of Ruth Norton, but I did glean the name of his second
                wife, his daughter, and 2 addresses where the family lived between
                1948 and 1951.

                From the obit in The Seattle Times (Nov. 28):

                "Surviving are his wife, Dorothy, of 3933 Belvoir Place; a daughter,
                Mrs. Bradford Mattson, Seattle, and a grandchild."

                At first glance, it would seem that "Bradford" was the husband's
                name, but the funeral notice published the next day provides better
                information:

                "Beloved husband of Dorothy Davidson Smith; father of Mrs. Bradford
                Smith Mattson; brother of Mrs. Charles Ruggles, Berkeley,
                California. Memorial services Thursday 10 a.m., Christ Episcopal
                Church. In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to
                millionaires Club Charity or Heart Fund. Forkner's, directing."

                The form of Mrs. Mattson's name suggest she may have been a young
                widow. If she were a divocee, her name would have been given as
                Mrs. Smith Mattson, following the custom of the time. On the other
                hand, use of the daughter's given name specifically identifies her,
                which would be more appropriate in this instance.

                The Smith residence on Belvoir Place (now NE Belvoir Place) was in
                the Laurelhurst neighborhood, east of the UW on Union Bay.
                Expensive real estate these days!

                In checking the 1948-1949 and 1950-1951 Seattle city directories, I
                found no Bradford Mattson, though there were plenty of Mattsons.
                Possibly Bradford was living with her parents; I have not had a
                chance to cross-check the reverse directory.

                In the earlier directory, Professor Smith is listed at 4515 Brooklyn
                Ave. (now NE), which is about a block north of where the Safeco
                building has stood for decades. (It's the tallest building in the
                University District.) The later directory lists the address cited
                in the obituary. Professor Smith began teaching at the University
                of Washington in 1911 and served as head of the psychology
                department from 1919 until 1948, when he retired. He continued to
                serve as a professor in the department and as Director of the
                Institute of Child Development.

                I still need to take a look at the 1920 and 1925 local newspapers to
                see what I can find out about Ruth and Dorothy's respective weddings.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 17, 2007
                  Cadia,

                  I never thanked you for the last info on Prof. Stevenson Smith - Thanks! I have still to
                  check on Bradford Smith Mattson and Charles Ruggles.

                  I did come across another lead though. The author of a book on the history of the airbase
                  that Ruth managed in the 1940s sent me a copy of a lenghy newspaper article on Ruth
                  from 1942.

                  It reveals a number of new details, including the fact that she remarried after the professor
                  and had two children. These kids, if alive today, would be 72 and 74-years-old...so I'll try
                  and track them down as well.

                  There is a great story of Ruth almost drowning while attempting to surf in Hawaii and
                  eight Olympic swimmers coming to her rescue. She was apparently the first white woman
                  ever taught the Hula by the famous Kaao (anyone ever heard of him/her?) Ruth spoke
                  fluent Hawaiian.

                  Also, she worked as a buyer of accessories at I. Magnin & Co. in Seattle before moving on
                  to the Mandel Brothers in Chicago and then managing nine I. Miller stores in New York.
                  Her husband, Morris Natelson, was from NY. They divorced in 1940.

                  Keith
                • mauibandb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 20, 2007
                    Aloha Keith

                    I asked Kumu Hula Hokulani Holt Padilla about Kao'o and this is what her
                    response was.

                    Hi…hi…
                    The person that pops into my mind is an old Kumu Hula called Antone Kao’o.
                    He was pretty well known in his day and was connected to Kalakaua’s court I
                    believe. I don’t know if you’ll find anything about him outside of Bishop
                    Museum.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Hoku
                    <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
                    http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
                    safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
                    web, free AOL Mail and much more.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 24, 2007
                      Aloha from Maui,

                      Hal & I spent a few hours at the Kahalui Library today looking at old Paradise of the pacific magazines, not microfilm.

                      Jan 1923 had a whole article with 3 photos of Don as Pan.
                      Feb. 1924 had nothing and Hal looked before and after Feb. and found nothing.
                      Sept. and Dec. 1925 again had a photo of Pan (Don- fishing)
                      June 1927 has Sea Butterflies poem and photo.

                      There are places that look like Don's art work and I coped 3 of them and will send them along. Our scanner here isn't working so will have to send them on to you and Keith. Send me addresses or I will do it when I get back home. Your address are not on this computer.

                      With aloha to all.

                      Bev.

                      Oh!

                      I am trying to get access to the Community College Library. They are only letting student into the archives now. So old papers I use to see on microfilm, I no longer have access to.

                    • Jackie Collins-Buck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                        Dear Bev
                        Great research on your part. I am impressed
                        at what you were able to turn up.

                        I'm also impressed that you recognized Don's
                        art work.. Keep up the good work.

                        Aloha.........Jackie

                        P. S. Kahului not Kahalui
                        ...sorry , I'm a Maui girl........

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                          Bev ...

                          I'm glad you were able to locate the pre-1930 Paradise of the
                          Pacific magazines to which I do not have direct access in Seattle.
                          My mailing address appears on my website

                          http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/

                          but no hurry ... whatever you find can wait until you get back to
                          the mainland. I'll be interested to see the drawings you think may
                          be by DB, too.

                          Keith lists citations from the magazine as follows:

                          PARADISE of the PACIFIC
                          Jan 1923
                          Feb 1924 -- scratch this one
                          Sept & Dec 1925
                          June 1927
                          June & Dec 1930
                          Jan 1931
                          Dec 1932 -- scratch this one
                          Jan 1935
                          Oct 1944 -- scratch this one

                          So you can confirm Dec. 1925? That one did not come up when I did
                          an online query for DB citations.

                          I have been able to make copies of June and Dec. 1930 and Jan. 1931
                          and have ordered a copy of the Jan. 1935 article by Vera Sloan. I
                          looked at bound volumes of 1932 and 1944 and did not find anything
                          related to DB.

                          Good luck in convincing Maui CC that you need access to their
                          archives. Feel free to mention the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors
                          Society if that will help!

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                            I'm just catching up with all the news of 2 months
                            ago.....There was an article done by Blanding for the
                            Carmel Pine Cone about a then 16 year old female
                            pilot. I interviewed her and she related that she
                            later became a pilot that ferried bombers around the
                            U.S. in WW2. She mentioned going to Florida and I
                            wonder if she knew Ms. Norton? I'll do some checking
                            and see if we might be lucky on this one. Never
                            know....tj