Re: Miss Ruth Norton

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
      Bev,

      I caught a few more whiffs of Ruth Norton's scent:

      She showed up in the 1930 census living in Chicago with her Swedish mother Anna, and
      working as a Department Store buyer.

      Then I came across this 1943 article in a Florida newspaper:

      WOMEN TEACH MEN HOW TO FLY AIRPLANES

      MIAMI -- On Biscayne bay, between here and Miami Beach, there is a seaplane training
      base run by a woman and staffed, for the most part, by women.

      The women have to be good. Sixty per cent of the fliers who train at their base are either
      in the army or navy, or training for them. They have to pass Civil Aeronautics authority
      tests when the women are through training them.

      The director of the base is Mrs. Ruth A. Norton, a Seattle girl who trained in music at the
      University of Washington. She spent two years at the University of Hawaii teaching
      psychology, two more years there as a Yale fellow in research enthnology. Then several
      years in Chicago and New York as a buyer for big retail concerns. She now flies both land
      and seaplanes--and runs a training base for the army and navy.

      There's more in the article, but I have to get the kids to bed. We at least know where Ruth
      was as of the mid-1940s.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
        So,

        I'll check the index for the Advertiser and the Star-Bulletin when in Maui
        in Feb. and see what I can find.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1 4:19 AM
          Bev,

          One more bit about Ruth (and then I'll shut up) :o)

          This is from an article about the Miami Seabase written by Dr. Stephen G. Craft

          The Seaplane Base in Miami was run almost entirely by women. The nickname for the fliers
          there was "barnacle pilots." In 1942-43, the general manager was Ruth Norton, who was
          described as a "a woman of learning and of culture, a musician, an architect... a business
          woman and a flyer." Born in North Dakota, she was raised in Seattle and graduated from the
          University of Washington where she majored in music and minored in psychology. After two
          years teaching in Hawaii as an assistant professor of psychology, she worked another two
          years for the Bishop museum before leaving the islands because of an illness. Eventually she
          moved to Miami, and an interest in flying led her to the Seaplane Base. Soon she
          demonstrated her skills as a "brilliant pilot." Norton observed that "The day of doubt about
          women in aviation has passed."

          Over and out, Keith
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1 6:37 AM
            I HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN KEITH AND WILL LOOK HER UP IN THE INDEX FOR
            THE ADVERTISER AND STAR BULLETIN WHEN ON MAUI. I WILL BE IN THE LIBRARY
            READING MICROFILM MOST DAYS ON THIS TRIP. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND.

            BEV.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1 8:21 AM
              Thanks Bev,

              Can you also look in the index for Leatrice Joy?

              Have a great trip. I'm jealous, as we are having a very snowy winter here in Colorado!!!

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1 12:46 PM
                Keith, I'll check the December 1920 and April 1925 Seattle papers when
                I get a chance. Perhaps another expedition to the Seattle Room
                (special collections) at the main library is in order, too.

                The Hawaii Newspaper Index starts with 1929. Not much chance that
                Leatrice Joy would be mentioned that late, but it's worth a try. She
                was very popular in Hawaii during the early 1920s.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1 1:49 PM
                  Keith, you've found out more on Ruth Norton in the past 24 hours than
                  we did in the past 3 years! Good work!

                  I checked the SSDI and found a number of Ruth Nortons, but none with a
                  December 1900 birthdate. Either she never collected benefits or she
                  changed her name!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 5 10:55 PM
                      Tonight I stopped by the lubrary to return a book and decided to
                      look for an obit for Prof. Stevenson Smith, 67, who died November
                      27, 1950, in a Seattle hospital.

                      No mention of Ruth Norton, but I did glean the name of his second
                      wife, his daughter, and 2 addresses where the family lived between
                      1948 and 1951.

                      From the obit in The Seattle Times (Nov. 28):

                      "Surviving are his wife, Dorothy, of 3933 Belvoir Place; a daughter,
                      Mrs. Bradford Mattson, Seattle, and a grandchild."

                      At first glance, it would seem that "Bradford" was the husband's
                      name, but the funeral notice published the next day provides better
                      information:

                      "Beloved husband of Dorothy Davidson Smith; father of Mrs. Bradford
                      Smith Mattson; brother of Mrs. Charles Ruggles, Berkeley,
                      California. Memorial services Thursday 10 a.m., Christ Episcopal
                      Church. In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to
                      millionaires Club Charity or Heart Fund. Forkner's, directing."

                      The form of Mrs. Mattson's name suggest she may have been a young
                      widow. If she were a divocee, her name would have been given as
                      Mrs. Smith Mattson, following the custom of the time. On the other
                      hand, use of the daughter's given name specifically identifies her,
                      which would be more appropriate in this instance.

                      The Smith residence on Belvoir Place (now NE Belvoir Place) was in
                      the Laurelhurst neighborhood, east of the UW on Union Bay.
                      Expensive real estate these days!

                      In checking the 1948-1949 and 1950-1951 Seattle city directories, I
                      found no Bradford Mattson, though there were plenty of Mattsons.
                      Possibly Bradford was living with her parents; I have not had a
                      chance to cross-check the reverse directory.

                      In the earlier directory, Professor Smith is listed at 4515 Brooklyn
                      Ave. (now NE), which is about a block north of where the Safeco
                      building has stood for decades. (It's the tallest building in the
                      University District.) The later directory lists the address cited
                      in the obituary. Professor Smith began teaching at the University
                      of Washington in 1911 and served as head of the psychology
                      department from 1919 until 1948, when he retired. He continued to
                      serve as a professor in the department and as Director of the
                      Institute of Child Development.

                      I still need to take a look at the 1920 and 1925 local newspapers to
                      see what I can find out about Ruth and Dorothy's respective weddings.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 17 7:32 AM
                        Cadia,

                        I never thanked you for the last info on Prof. Stevenson Smith - Thanks! I have still to
                        check on Bradford Smith Mattson and Charles Ruggles.

                        I did come across another lead though. The author of a book on the history of the airbase
                        that Ruth managed in the 1940s sent me a copy of a lenghy newspaper article on Ruth
                        from 1942.

                        It reveals a number of new details, including the fact that she remarried after the professor
                        and had two children. These kids, if alive today, would be 72 and 74-years-old...so I'll try
                        and track them down as well.

                        There is a great story of Ruth almost drowning while attempting to surf in Hawaii and
                        eight Olympic swimmers coming to her rescue. She was apparently the first white woman
                        ever taught the Hula by the famous Kaao (anyone ever heard of him/her?) Ruth spoke
                        fluent Hawaiian.

                        Also, she worked as a buyer of accessories at I. Magnin & Co. in Seattle before moving on
                        to the Mandel Brothers in Chicago and then managing nine I. Miller stores in New York.
                        Her husband, Morris Natelson, was from NY. They divorced in 1940.

                        Keith
                      • mauibandb@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 20 7:49 PM
                          Aloha Keith

                          I asked Kumu Hula Hokulani Holt Padilla about Kao'o and this is what her
                          response was.

                          Hi…hi…
                          The person that pops into my mind is an old Kumu Hula called Antone Kao’o.
                          He was pretty well known in his day and was connected to Kalakaua’s court I
                          believe. I don’t know if you’ll find anything about him outside of Bishop
                          Museum.
                          Hope this helps.
                          Hoku
                          <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
                          http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
                          safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
                          web, free AOL Mail and much more.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 24 8:56 PM
                            Aloha from Maui,

                            Hal & I spent a few hours at the Kahalui Library today looking at old Paradise of the pacific magazines, not microfilm.

                            Jan 1923 had a whole article with 3 photos of Don as Pan.
                            Feb. 1924 had nothing and Hal looked before and after Feb. and found nothing.
                            Sept. and Dec. 1925 again had a photo of Pan (Don- fishing)
                            June 1927 has Sea Butterflies poem and photo.

                            There are places that look like Don's art work and I coped 3 of them and will send them along. Our scanner here isn't working so will have to send them on to you and Keith. Send me addresses or I will do it when I get back home. Your address are not on this computer.

                            With aloha to all.

                            Bev.

                            Oh!

                            I am trying to get access to the Community College Library. They are only letting student into the archives now. So old papers I use to see on microfilm, I no longer have access to.

                          • Jackie Collins-Buck
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 25 12:36 AM
                              Dear Bev
                              Great research on your part. I am impressed
                              at what you were able to turn up.

                              I'm also impressed that you recognized Don's
                              art work.. Keep up the good work.

                              Aloha.........Jackie

                              P. S. Kahului not Kahalui
                              ...sorry , I'm a Maui girl........

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 25 1:28 PM
                                Bev ...

                                I'm glad you were able to locate the pre-1930 Paradise of the
                                Pacific magazines to which I do not have direct access in Seattle.
                                My mailing address appears on my website

                                http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/

                                but no hurry ... whatever you find can wait until you get back to
                                the mainland. I'll be interested to see the drawings you think may
                                be by DB, too.

                                Keith lists citations from the magazine as follows:

                                PARADISE of the PACIFIC
                                Jan 1923
                                Feb 1924 -- scratch this one
                                Sept & Dec 1925
                                June 1927
                                June & Dec 1930
                                Jan 1931
                                Dec 1932 -- scratch this one
                                Jan 1935
                                Oct 1944 -- scratch this one

                                So you can confirm Dec. 1925? That one did not come up when I did
                                an online query for DB citations.

                                I have been able to make copies of June and Dec. 1930 and Jan. 1931
                                and have ordered a copy of the Jan. 1935 article by Vera Sloan. I
                                looked at bound volumes of 1932 and 1944 and did not find anything
                                related to DB.

                                Good luck in convincing Maui CC that you need access to their
                                archives. Feel free to mention the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors
                                Society if that will help!

                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                                  I'm just catching up with all the news of 2 months
                                  ago.....There was an article done by Blanding for the
                                  Carmel Pine Cone about a then 16 year old female
                                  pilot. I interviewed her and she related that she
                                  later became a pilot that ferried bombers around the
                                  U.S. in WW2. She mentioned going to Florida and I
                                  wonder if she knew Ms. Norton? I'll do some checking
                                  and see if we might be lucky on this one. Never
                                  know....tj