Re: Miss Ruth Norton

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi Bev,

      I attempted to dig up some dirt on Ruth Norton but only came up with dead ends. If I lived
      in the Seattle area (where she was from) I could probably find out more. She divorced her
      Professor Husband in April 1925 I believe and I sent for a copy of the Divorce certificate
      but it revealed nothing. If I had her birth/death dates I could find out more...but as it is,
      her name is too common to find out anything definative.

      I'm sure recently divorced Ruth was out on the town in Honolulu looking for a good time
      and met Don and they hit it off. As to what happened we can only guess.

      I have one intriguing theory. In September of 1925, shortly after the engagement was
      announced, Leatrice Joy (the actress) vacationed in Honolulu for a month where she met
      Don. I believe they had a short romance and Ruth could have found out and called
      everything off.

      In December Don left the Islands for Los Angeles where he stayed for almost ten months.
      We know he met up with Leatrice and spent alot of time with her. Leatrice's granddaughter
      (who I've corresponded with) was convinced they were romantically involved.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
        Alright Bev...you got me curious all over again about Ruth Norton.

        I got to thinking that when I looked into Ruth a couple of years ago I couldn't find much,
        but I now have access to more resources than I did then and I decided to poke around
        again.

        I made some progress, and here's what I came up with:

        Ruth Arvilla Norton, born in New Rockford, North Dakota on Dec. 1st (or 2nd), 1900.

        Ruth married Professor Stevenson Smith on December 2, 1920...and they were divorced in
        April 1925. Prof. Smith taught at the University of Hawaii from 1923-1924, so Don could
        have met the couple anytime between 1923 and 1925.

        The Professor went on to remarry again in Dec. 1925 and the couple had a daughter
        named Bradford (b. ca. 1928), who could be alive today and would be easy to track with
        such an unusual first name.

        I'd like to track down Ruth Arvilla Norton to see if she married again and had any children.
        The key would be to find a picture of her and try and cultivate any family gossip on her
        Honolulu days.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
          Bev,

          I caught a few more whiffs of Ruth Norton's scent:

          She showed up in the 1930 census living in Chicago with her Swedish mother Anna, and
          working as a Department Store buyer.

          Then I came across this 1943 article in a Florida newspaper:

          WOMEN TEACH MEN HOW TO FLY AIRPLANES

          MIAMI -- On Biscayne bay, between here and Miami Beach, there is a seaplane training
          base run by a woman and staffed, for the most part, by women.

          The women have to be good. Sixty per cent of the fliers who train at their base are either
          in the army or navy, or training for them. They have to pass Civil Aeronautics authority
          tests when the women are through training them.

          The director of the base is Mrs. Ruth A. Norton, a Seattle girl who trained in music at the
          University of Washington. She spent two years at the University of Hawaii teaching
          psychology, two more years there as a Yale fellow in research enthnology. Then several
          years in Chicago and New York as a buyer for big retail concerns. She now flies both land
          and seaplanes--and runs a training base for the army and navy.

          There's more in the article, but I have to get the kids to bed. We at least know where Ruth
          was as of the mid-1940s.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
            So,

            I'll check the index for the Advertiser and the Star-Bulletin when in Maui
            in Feb. and see what I can find.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
              Bev,

              One more bit about Ruth (and then I'll shut up) :o)

              This is from an article about the Miami Seabase written by Dr. Stephen G. Craft

              The Seaplane Base in Miami was run almost entirely by women. The nickname for the fliers
              there was "barnacle pilots." In 1942-43, the general manager was Ruth Norton, who was
              described as a "a woman of learning and of culture, a musician, an architect... a business
              woman and a flyer." Born in North Dakota, she was raised in Seattle and graduated from the
              University of Washington where she majored in music and minored in psychology. After two
              years teaching in Hawaii as an assistant professor of psychology, she worked another two
              years for the Bishop museum before leaving the islands because of an illness. Eventually she
              moved to Miami, and an interest in flying led her to the Seaplane Base. Soon she
              demonstrated her skills as a "brilliant pilot." Norton observed that "The day of doubt about
              women in aviation has passed."

              Over and out, Keith
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                I HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN KEITH AND WILL LOOK HER UP IN THE INDEX FOR
                THE ADVERTISER AND STAR BULLETIN WHEN ON MAUI. I WILL BE IN THE LIBRARY
                READING MICROFILM MOST DAYS ON THIS TRIP. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND.

                BEV.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Thanks Bev,

                  Can you also look in the index for Leatrice Joy?

                  Have a great trip. I'm jealous, as we are having a very snowy winter here in Colorado!!!

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                    Keith, I'll check the December 1920 and April 1925 Seattle papers when
                    I get a chance. Perhaps another expedition to the Seattle Room
                    (special collections) at the main library is in order, too.

                    The Hawaii Newspaper Index starts with 1929. Not much chance that
                    Leatrice Joy would be mentioned that late, but it's worth a try. She
                    was very popular in Hawaii during the early 1920s.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                      Keith, you've found out more on Ruth Norton in the past 24 hours than
                      we did in the past 3 years! Good work!

                      I checked the SSDI and found a number of Ruth Nortons, but none with a
                      December 1900 birthdate. Either she never collected benefits or she
                      changed her name!

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007
                          Tonight I stopped by the lubrary to return a book and decided to
                          look for an obit for Prof. Stevenson Smith, 67, who died November
                          27, 1950, in a Seattle hospital.

                          No mention of Ruth Norton, but I did glean the name of his second
                          wife, his daughter, and 2 addresses where the family lived between
                          1948 and 1951.

                          From the obit in The Seattle Times (Nov. 28):

                          "Surviving are his wife, Dorothy, of 3933 Belvoir Place; a daughter,
                          Mrs. Bradford Mattson, Seattle, and a grandchild."

                          At first glance, it would seem that "Bradford" was the husband's
                          name, but the funeral notice published the next day provides better
                          information:

                          "Beloved husband of Dorothy Davidson Smith; father of Mrs. Bradford
                          Smith Mattson; brother of Mrs. Charles Ruggles, Berkeley,
                          California. Memorial services Thursday 10 a.m., Christ Episcopal
                          Church. In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to
                          millionaires Club Charity or Heart Fund. Forkner's, directing."

                          The form of Mrs. Mattson's name suggest she may have been a young
                          widow. If she were a divocee, her name would have been given as
                          Mrs. Smith Mattson, following the custom of the time. On the other
                          hand, use of the daughter's given name specifically identifies her,
                          which would be more appropriate in this instance.

                          The Smith residence on Belvoir Place (now NE Belvoir Place) was in
                          the Laurelhurst neighborhood, east of the UW on Union Bay.
                          Expensive real estate these days!

                          In checking the 1948-1949 and 1950-1951 Seattle city directories, I
                          found no Bradford Mattson, though there were plenty of Mattsons.
                          Possibly Bradford was living with her parents; I have not had a
                          chance to cross-check the reverse directory.

                          In the earlier directory, Professor Smith is listed at 4515 Brooklyn
                          Ave. (now NE), which is about a block north of where the Safeco
                          building has stood for decades. (It's the tallest building in the
                          University District.) The later directory lists the address cited
                          in the obituary. Professor Smith began teaching at the University
                          of Washington in 1911 and served as head of the psychology
                          department from 1919 until 1948, when he retired. He continued to
                          serve as a professor in the department and as Director of the
                          Institute of Child Development.

                          I still need to take a look at the 1920 and 1925 local newspapers to
                          see what I can find out about Ruth and Dorothy's respective weddings.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 17, 2007
                            Cadia,

                            I never thanked you for the last info on Prof. Stevenson Smith - Thanks! I have still to
                            check on Bradford Smith Mattson and Charles Ruggles.

                            I did come across another lead though. The author of a book on the history of the airbase
                            that Ruth managed in the 1940s sent me a copy of a lenghy newspaper article on Ruth
                            from 1942.

                            It reveals a number of new details, including the fact that she remarried after the professor
                            and had two children. These kids, if alive today, would be 72 and 74-years-old...so I'll try
                            and track them down as well.

                            There is a great story of Ruth almost drowning while attempting to surf in Hawaii and
                            eight Olympic swimmers coming to her rescue. She was apparently the first white woman
                            ever taught the Hula by the famous Kaao (anyone ever heard of him/her?) Ruth spoke
                            fluent Hawaiian.

                            Also, she worked as a buyer of accessories at I. Magnin & Co. in Seattle before moving on
                            to the Mandel Brothers in Chicago and then managing nine I. Miller stores in New York.
                            Her husband, Morris Natelson, was from NY. They divorced in 1940.

                            Keith
                          • mauibandb@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 20, 2007
                              Aloha Keith

                              I asked Kumu Hula Hokulani Holt Padilla about Kao'o and this is what her
                              response was.

                              Hi…hi…
                              The person that pops into my mind is an old Kumu Hula called Antone Kao’o.
                              He was pretty well known in his day and was connected to Kalakaua’s court I
                              believe. I don’t know if you’ll find anything about him outside of Bishop
                              Museum.
                              Hope this helps.
                              Hoku
                              <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
                              http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
                              safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
                              web, free AOL Mail and much more.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 24, 2007
                                Aloha from Maui,

                                Hal & I spent a few hours at the Kahalui Library today looking at old Paradise of the pacific magazines, not microfilm.

                                Jan 1923 had a whole article with 3 photos of Don as Pan.
                                Feb. 1924 had nothing and Hal looked before and after Feb. and found nothing.
                                Sept. and Dec. 1925 again had a photo of Pan (Don- fishing)
                                June 1927 has Sea Butterflies poem and photo.

                                There are places that look like Don's art work and I coped 3 of them and will send them along. Our scanner here isn't working so will have to send them on to you and Keith. Send me addresses or I will do it when I get back home. Your address are not on this computer.

                                With aloha to all.

                                Bev.

                                Oh!

                                I am trying to get access to the Community College Library. They are only letting student into the archives now. So old papers I use to see on microfilm, I no longer have access to.

                              • Jackie Collins-Buck
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                                  Dear Bev
                                  Great research on your part. I am impressed
                                  at what you were able to turn up.

                                  I'm also impressed that you recognized Don's
                                  art work.. Keep up the good work.

                                  Aloha.........Jackie

                                  P. S. Kahului not Kahalui
                                  ...sorry , I'm a Maui girl........

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                                    Bev ...

                                    I'm glad you were able to locate the pre-1930 Paradise of the
                                    Pacific magazines to which I do not have direct access in Seattle.
                                    My mailing address appears on my website

                                    http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/

                                    but no hurry ... whatever you find can wait until you get back to
                                    the mainland. I'll be interested to see the drawings you think may
                                    be by DB, too.

                                    Keith lists citations from the magazine as follows:

                                    PARADISE of the PACIFIC
                                    Jan 1923
                                    Feb 1924 -- scratch this one
                                    Sept & Dec 1925
                                    June 1927
                                    June & Dec 1930
                                    Jan 1931
                                    Dec 1932 -- scratch this one
                                    Jan 1935
                                    Oct 1944 -- scratch this one

                                    So you can confirm Dec. 1925? That one did not come up when I did
                                    an online query for DB citations.

                                    I have been able to make copies of June and Dec. 1930 and Jan. 1931
                                    and have ordered a copy of the Jan. 1935 article by Vera Sloan. I
                                    looked at bound volumes of 1932 and 1944 and did not find anything
                                    related to DB.

                                    Good luck in convincing Maui CC that you need access to their
                                    archives. Feel free to mention the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors
                                    Society if that will help!

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                                      I'm just catching up with all the news of 2 months
                                      ago.....There was an article done by Blanding for the
                                      Carmel Pine Cone about a then 16 year old female
                                      pilot. I interviewed her and she related that she
                                      later became a pilot that ferried bombers around the
                                      U.S. in WW2. She mentioned going to Florida and I
                                      wonder if she knew Ms. Norton? I'll do some checking
                                      and see if we might be lucky on this one. Never
                                      know....tj