Miss Ruth Norton

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
      Honolulu Star-Bulletin
      Thursday, August 27, 1925
      Page 1, Column 5

      Don Blanding to
      Wed Miss Norton,
      Is Announcement

      What is the scoop on this article in the Star-Bulletin? Keith and Cadia,
      how did they meet and what happened? I haven't been in our files in a
      while. been too busy in my own research to read our files.
      She was a "ethnologist". How do you suppose they met. Our boy sure got
      around.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
        Hi Bev,

        I attempted to dig up some dirt on Ruth Norton but only came up with dead ends. If I lived
        in the Seattle area (where she was from) I could probably find out more. She divorced her
        Professor Husband in April 1925 I believe and I sent for a copy of the Divorce certificate
        but it revealed nothing. If I had her birth/death dates I could find out more...but as it is,
        her name is too common to find out anything definative.

        I'm sure recently divorced Ruth was out on the town in Honolulu looking for a good time
        and met Don and they hit it off. As to what happened we can only guess.

        I have one intriguing theory. In September of 1925, shortly after the engagement was
        announced, Leatrice Joy (the actress) vacationed in Honolulu for a month where she met
        Don. I believe they had a short romance and Ruth could have found out and called
        everything off.

        In December Don left the Islands for Los Angeles where he stayed for almost ten months.
        We know he met up with Leatrice and spent alot of time with her. Leatrice's granddaughter
        (who I've corresponded with) was convinced they were romantically involved.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
          Alright Bev...you got me curious all over again about Ruth Norton.

          I got to thinking that when I looked into Ruth a couple of years ago I couldn't find much,
          but I now have access to more resources than I did then and I decided to poke around
          again.

          I made some progress, and here's what I came up with:

          Ruth Arvilla Norton, born in New Rockford, North Dakota on Dec. 1st (or 2nd), 1900.

          Ruth married Professor Stevenson Smith on December 2, 1920...and they were divorced in
          April 1925. Prof. Smith taught at the University of Hawaii from 1923-1924, so Don could
          have met the couple anytime between 1923 and 1925.

          The Professor went on to remarry again in Dec. 1925 and the couple had a daughter
          named Bradford (b. ca. 1928), who could be alive today and would be easy to track with
          such an unusual first name.

          I'd like to track down Ruth Arvilla Norton to see if she married again and had any children.
          The key would be to find a picture of her and try and cultivate any family gossip on her
          Honolulu days.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
            Bev,

            I caught a few more whiffs of Ruth Norton's scent:

            She showed up in the 1930 census living in Chicago with her Swedish mother Anna, and
            working as a Department Store buyer.

            Then I came across this 1943 article in a Florida newspaper:

            WOMEN TEACH MEN HOW TO FLY AIRPLANES

            MIAMI -- On Biscayne bay, between here and Miami Beach, there is a seaplane training
            base run by a woman and staffed, for the most part, by women.

            The women have to be good. Sixty per cent of the fliers who train at their base are either
            in the army or navy, or training for them. They have to pass Civil Aeronautics authority
            tests when the women are through training them.

            The director of the base is Mrs. Ruth A. Norton, a Seattle girl who trained in music at the
            University of Washington. She spent two years at the University of Hawaii teaching
            psychology, two more years there as a Yale fellow in research enthnology. Then several
            years in Chicago and New York as a buyer for big retail concerns. She now flies both land
            and seaplanes--and runs a training base for the army and navy.

            There's more in the article, but I have to get the kids to bed. We at least know where Ruth
            was as of the mid-1940s.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
              So,

              I'll check the index for the Advertiser and the Star-Bulletin when in Maui
              in Feb. and see what I can find.

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                Bev,

                One more bit about Ruth (and then I'll shut up) :o)

                This is from an article about the Miami Seabase written by Dr. Stephen G. Craft

                The Seaplane Base in Miami was run almost entirely by women. The nickname for the fliers
                there was "barnacle pilots." In 1942-43, the general manager was Ruth Norton, who was
                described as a "a woman of learning and of culture, a musician, an architect... a business
                woman and a flyer." Born in North Dakota, she was raised in Seattle and graduated from the
                University of Washington where she majored in music and minored in psychology. After two
                years teaching in Hawaii as an assistant professor of psychology, she worked another two
                years for the Bishop museum before leaving the islands because of an illness. Eventually she
                moved to Miami, and an interest in flying led her to the Seaplane Base. Soon she
                demonstrated her skills as a "brilliant pilot." Norton observed that "The day of doubt about
                women in aviation has passed."

                Over and out, Keith
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                  I HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN KEITH AND WILL LOOK HER UP IN THE INDEX FOR
                  THE ADVERTISER AND STAR BULLETIN WHEN ON MAUI. I WILL BE IN THE LIBRARY
                  READING MICROFILM MOST DAYS ON THIS TRIP. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND.

                  BEV.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                    Thanks Bev,

                    Can you also look in the index for Leatrice Joy?

                    Have a great trip. I'm jealous, as we are having a very snowy winter here in Colorado!!!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                      Keith, I'll check the December 1920 and April 1925 Seattle papers when
                      I get a chance. Perhaps another expedition to the Seattle Room
                      (special collections) at the main library is in order, too.

                      The Hawaii Newspaper Index starts with 1929. Not much chance that
                      Leatrice Joy would be mentioned that late, but it's worth a try. She
                      was very popular in Hawaii during the early 1920s.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
                        Keith, you've found out more on Ruth Norton in the past 24 hours than
                        we did in the past 3 years! Good work!

                        I checked the SSDI and found a number of Ruth Nortons, but none with a
                        December 1900 birthdate. Either she never collected benefits or she
                        changed her name!

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 5, 2007
                            Tonight I stopped by the lubrary to return a book and decided to
                            look for an obit for Prof. Stevenson Smith, 67, who died November
                            27, 1950, in a Seattle hospital.

                            No mention of Ruth Norton, but I did glean the name of his second
                            wife, his daughter, and 2 addresses where the family lived between
                            1948 and 1951.

                            From the obit in The Seattle Times (Nov. 28):

                            "Surviving are his wife, Dorothy, of 3933 Belvoir Place; a daughter,
                            Mrs. Bradford Mattson, Seattle, and a grandchild."

                            At first glance, it would seem that "Bradford" was the husband's
                            name, but the funeral notice published the next day provides better
                            information:

                            "Beloved husband of Dorothy Davidson Smith; father of Mrs. Bradford
                            Smith Mattson; brother of Mrs. Charles Ruggles, Berkeley,
                            California. Memorial services Thursday 10 a.m., Christ Episcopal
                            Church. In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to
                            millionaires Club Charity or Heart Fund. Forkner's, directing."

                            The form of Mrs. Mattson's name suggest she may have been a young
                            widow. If she were a divocee, her name would have been given as
                            Mrs. Smith Mattson, following the custom of the time. On the other
                            hand, use of the daughter's given name specifically identifies her,
                            which would be more appropriate in this instance.

                            The Smith residence on Belvoir Place (now NE Belvoir Place) was in
                            the Laurelhurst neighborhood, east of the UW on Union Bay.
                            Expensive real estate these days!

                            In checking the 1948-1949 and 1950-1951 Seattle city directories, I
                            found no Bradford Mattson, though there were plenty of Mattsons.
                            Possibly Bradford was living with her parents; I have not had a
                            chance to cross-check the reverse directory.

                            In the earlier directory, Professor Smith is listed at 4515 Brooklyn
                            Ave. (now NE), which is about a block north of where the Safeco
                            building has stood for decades. (It's the tallest building in the
                            University District.) The later directory lists the address cited
                            in the obituary. Professor Smith began teaching at the University
                            of Washington in 1911 and served as head of the psychology
                            department from 1919 until 1948, when he retired. He continued to
                            serve as a professor in the department and as Director of the
                            Institute of Child Development.

                            I still need to take a look at the 1920 and 1925 local newspapers to
                            see what I can find out about Ruth and Dorothy's respective weddings.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 17, 2007
                              Cadia,

                              I never thanked you for the last info on Prof. Stevenson Smith - Thanks! I have still to
                              check on Bradford Smith Mattson and Charles Ruggles.

                              I did come across another lead though. The author of a book on the history of the airbase
                              that Ruth managed in the 1940s sent me a copy of a lenghy newspaper article on Ruth
                              from 1942.

                              It reveals a number of new details, including the fact that she remarried after the professor
                              and had two children. These kids, if alive today, would be 72 and 74-years-old...so I'll try
                              and track them down as well.

                              There is a great story of Ruth almost drowning while attempting to surf in Hawaii and
                              eight Olympic swimmers coming to her rescue. She was apparently the first white woman
                              ever taught the Hula by the famous Kaao (anyone ever heard of him/her?) Ruth spoke
                              fluent Hawaiian.

                              Also, she worked as a buyer of accessories at I. Magnin & Co. in Seattle before moving on
                              to the Mandel Brothers in Chicago and then managing nine I. Miller stores in New York.
                              Her husband, Morris Natelson, was from NY. They divorced in 1940.

                              Keith
                            • mauibandb@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 20, 2007
                                Aloha Keith

                                I asked Kumu Hula Hokulani Holt Padilla about Kao'o and this is what her
                                response was.

                                Hi…hi…
                                The person that pops into my mind is an old Kumu Hula called Antone Kao’o.
                                He was pretty well known in his day and was connected to Kalakaua’s court I
                                believe. I don’t know if you’ll find anything about him outside of Bishop
                                Museum.
                                Hope this helps.
                                Hoku
                                <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
                                http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
                                safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
                                web, free AOL Mail and much more.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 24, 2007
                                  Aloha from Maui,

                                  Hal & I spent a few hours at the Kahalui Library today looking at old Paradise of the pacific magazines, not microfilm.

                                  Jan 1923 had a whole article with 3 photos of Don as Pan.
                                  Feb. 1924 had nothing and Hal looked before and after Feb. and found nothing.
                                  Sept. and Dec. 1925 again had a photo of Pan (Don- fishing)
                                  June 1927 has Sea Butterflies poem and photo.

                                  There are places that look like Don's art work and I coped 3 of them and will send them along. Our scanner here isn't working so will have to send them on to you and Keith. Send me addresses or I will do it when I get back home. Your address are not on this computer.

                                  With aloha to all.

                                  Bev.

                                  Oh!

                                  I am trying to get access to the Community College Library. They are only letting student into the archives now. So old papers I use to see on microfilm, I no longer have access to.

                                • Jackie Collins-Buck
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                                    Dear Bev
                                    Great research on your part. I am impressed
                                    at what you were able to turn up.

                                    I'm also impressed that you recognized Don's
                                    art work.. Keep up the good work.

                                    Aloha.........Jackie

                                    P. S. Kahului not Kahalui
                                    ...sorry , I'm a Maui girl........

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 25, 2007
                                      Bev ...

                                      I'm glad you were able to locate the pre-1930 Paradise of the
                                      Pacific magazines to which I do not have direct access in Seattle.
                                      My mailing address appears on my website

                                      http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/

                                      but no hurry ... whatever you find can wait until you get back to
                                      the mainland. I'll be interested to see the drawings you think may
                                      be by DB, too.

                                      Keith lists citations from the magazine as follows:

                                      PARADISE of the PACIFIC
                                      Jan 1923
                                      Feb 1924 -- scratch this one
                                      Sept & Dec 1925
                                      June 1927
                                      June & Dec 1930
                                      Jan 1931
                                      Dec 1932 -- scratch this one
                                      Jan 1935
                                      Oct 1944 -- scratch this one

                                      So you can confirm Dec. 1925? That one did not come up when I did
                                      an online query for DB citations.

                                      I have been able to make copies of June and Dec. 1930 and Jan. 1931
                                      and have ordered a copy of the Jan. 1935 article by Vera Sloan. I
                                      looked at bound volumes of 1932 and 1944 and did not find anything
                                      related to DB.

                                      Good luck in convincing Maui CC that you need access to their
                                      archives. Feel free to mention the Aloha, Don Blanding Collectors
                                      Society if that will help!

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 26, 2007
                                        I'm just catching up with all the news of 2 months
                                        ago.....There was an article done by Blanding for the
                                        Carmel Pine Cone about a then 16 year old female
                                        pilot. I interviewed her and she related that she
                                        later became a pilot that ferried bombers around the
                                        U.S. in WW2. She mentioned going to Florida and I
                                        wonder if she knew Ms. Norton? I'll do some checking
                                        and see if we might be lucky on this one. Never
                                        know....tj