Dave Ballard

  • suzieshawgo
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
      My father was Dave Ballard. I am currently capturing 60 plus hours of
      his radio Show Reflections, from his 10" reel to reel masters. He has
      many Don Blanding poems, some wonderful stories, and humorous anecdotes.
      My brother, sister and I are researching on how to market them, as
      there are many copyright laws that have to be addressed, (re: The Poem
      and Story authors and background music). I have made cds only for the
      family, and their sound is wonderful...
      If anyone knows a direction for me to find answers, would love to hear
      from you... Many Thanks
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
        Aloha,

        I have a tape that my Mom bought somewhere on Westlake of your Dad reading
        Don Blanding poems to organ music. I treasure it and would love to by more
        if you market them.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
          Thank you for writing. I will keep your email... and contact you when we start releasing cds...

          I have a tape that my Mom bought somewhere on Westlake of your Dad reading

          Don Blanding poems to organ music. I treasure it and would love to by more

          if you market them.

          My father was Dave Ballard. I am currently capturing 60 plus hours of

          his radio Show Reflections, from his 10" reel to reel masters. He has

          many Don Blanding poems, some wonderful stories, and humorous anecdotes.

          My brother, sister and I are researching on how to market them, as

          there are many copyright laws that have to be addressed, (re: The Poem

          and Story authors and background music). I have made cds only for the

          family, and their sound is wonderful...

          If anyone knows a direction for me to find answers, would love to hear

          from you... Many Thanks

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;
          }
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top:10px;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;
          margin:25px 0;
          white-space:nowrap;
          color:#666;
          text-align:right;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;
          white-space:nowrap;
          }
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          padding:15px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family:verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          border-top:1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;
          }

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77%;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#333;
          text-transform:uppercase;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;
          margin:2px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type:none;
          clear:both;
          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#ff7900;
          float:right;
          width:2em;
          text-align:right;
          padding-right:.5em;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;
          }
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;
          }

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type:square;
          padding:6px 0;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;
          font-size:130%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color:#eee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:0 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#628c2a;
          font-size:100%;
          line-height:122%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;
          }
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;
          }
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;
          }
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
            Susan, I am so pleased that you have joined our group, and to
            hear of your project. I've often wondered if the master tapes
            still existed.

            Are you planning an all-Blanding disc? I know at least one
            program from January 1971 contained only Blanding pieces.

            Not long ago I purchased a fresh copy of Dave's first LP; the
            original that he gave me in 1966 is so worn that I haven't been
            able to play it in years. Such a joy to listen to it again!

            Please let us all know when the CD's are available ... I'm sure
            you'll have plenty of interest.

            Sincerely,

            ~~Cadia
          • suzie shawgo

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2006
                In answer to Suzie's original question, I came across the following
                bit of information today in connection with an eBay auction for a
                rare Velvet Underground acetate.

                "I'm a copyright attorney and the law is clear that the copyright in
                a sound recording does not travel with the sound recording. It
                resides either with the person's [sic] on the recording or the
                recording engineers and their company, or both depending on various
                facts including the contract, if any, between the engineer and the
                band. The only thing that is certain is that it does not belong to a
                purchaser of the master."

                Now, this opinion involves original material. However, since Dave
                Ballard's master tapes are inherited, I would guess that the
                copyright issue might not be too complicated after all since CD's
                would technically be a reissue of previously broadcast material.

                Much of the spoken material is in public domain by now. Even if it
                isn't, Dave would have obtained recording rights in some form, if
                only limited to radio broadcast.

                I don't know whether the 1960s LP recordings were taken directly
                from the radio masters or were fresh recordings. I suspect the
                latter, since I have compared a number of versions of "Vagabond's
                House" and other pieces and have noted differences in inflection and
                sometimes in background music.

                I'm sure that few people remain who were involved in
                presenting "Reflections" on KIXI (through 1971) or KBLE (late 1970s)
                or even with Lew Lathrop's production facility.

                A copyright attorney should be able to answer any questions about
                reissuing the recordings as CD's.

                Keith, you've produced CD's from Don Blanding's 1950s recording ...
                any opinion here?

                ~~Cadia
              • Susan Shawgo
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Thank you for the info. In the New Year, I will contact a patent
                  attorney and see what can be done. I know the Radio Shows, dealt
                  with the copy right issues, where each station paid a certain amount
                  for each show and that could apply to cds... thanks ever... will
                  keep you posted...

                  --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Cadia Los" <duchess@...>