Old Don

  • Karen Cotter
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
      Hello TJ - quiet here, too!

      It's odd to think I must have been the last of those posting here to
      have seen Don before he died. When we all began posting I mentioned
      that Don's work and legend had been popping in and out of my life
      since I was born 68 years ago but I was only interested in his work
      from the '20's and '30's.

      The one and only time I actually saw him in the flesh was 1956 or
      1957, the year he died when he appeared at a book signing on Wilshire
      Blvd. in Los Angeles. His latest book, one of those dreary religious
      things. I didn't buy the book but brought one of my old ones for a
      signature and he frowned most unhappily at someone ahead of me who'd
      also brought an oldie. So I tucked my little book behind me, shook
      his hand and that was it. He looked red-faced and not well and I
      wished I'd not gone.

      Poor Don was like a sky-rocket - a fast climb to a major display of
      fire and sparks with lots of noisy commotion and an sputtering
      descent into oblivion. Except for me, there wasn't a well-wisher
      under 70 - and that was 50 years ago. Carpe diem!
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
        Karen: You always have those little surprises, like
        meeting and shaking DB's hand.....had no idea you were
        a fan in those days. I now anoit you with the hand of
        Allen Sawtelle.......and Allen, I am seriously trying
        to finish Infinite Way. I'm on my way to Oregon for 2
        weeks of crabbing and salmon fishing....maybe
        inbetween bites and pulling up crab traps I might get
        the last chapter in. I'll keep you posted.....tj

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
          TJ - if I ever get to the Paradise area you can touch the hand that touched DB! His energy was at low ebb so I doubt there's much DB Chi left there!
          ha ha

          I'm going to be in Sacramento, Redding and who knows, maybe your neck of the woods during November. I have no set schedule, just visiting friends and family and it will be before Thanksgiving as everyone is busy then.
          Would you like to give me your home phone number just in case I'm in your area?. Of course I would not call you less than three days in advance and it would be a "flyby" but it would be nice to meet you and your nice wife.

          And, you could touch my palm. :o) K

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
            Funny you should mention the Infinite Way because my Mom who is a student of
            the Infinite Way said that DB was a student also with the teacher Joel
            Goldsmith in the mid fifties

            aloha
            Maui Tom

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
              Much of DB's later books were influenced by Joel.
              Allen Sawtelle could tell us more about that though.
              The unpublished manuscript that I own, "No Strings on
              Tomorrow" is based on Joel's teachings. It was the
              only known manuscript rejected for publication.
              Shortly after, DB transitioned, as they say. For me,
              it is a very DEEP subject....tj

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
                You are too too funny.....I'll email you privately on
                my phone number. We should be around in Nov.....tj