Re: "Private Don" in the Army, 1942-43

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
      Well, I tried. The typed documents still look like mush, so I'll
      transcribe them in the next few days.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
        OK, the typed documents still look like mush. I've added them to the
        Don Blanding's Letters segment of my website:

        http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/dbletter1.html

        where they appear to be legible.

        ~~Cadia
      • Allen Dayton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
          <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJkYTNlcHMzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE1MTkzNjUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDIwMDgzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMTUyNTEzNDY1;_ylg=1/SIG=11kk30vue/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/group/aloha-donblanding>I
          wonder why Don enlisted as a Private since he was an officer in WW 1?
          It might have been his age and without the Army experience that goes
          with it. Any thought?

          .

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
            DB was offered an officer's rank but he turned it down, saying that he
            preferred to be among the enlisted men. He wanted to find out what
            the average "doughboy" of the new generation was thinking.

            Both of his books, Pilot Bails Out and Today Is Here, are the result
            of his research among his fellow soldiers.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
              He was also escaping from a disolving marriage to
              Dorothy. I think thats where the title, Pilot Bails
              Out comes from.....OK, its just a crazy thought.....tj

            • sam17659@cs.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
                Cadia:

                I could read them just fine! Any recent changes to your screen settings?

                Thanks for all you do!

                Ted