"Private Don" in the Army, 1942-43

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hello, all ..

      I think I've identified the inscription on the photo of DB in
      uniform that I uploaded a few days ago. While I was looking through
      the Files for something else, I happened to look at the postcards
      sent by DB to Nellie Hayes McMurray in the 1940s.

      Bingo! "N H Mc" on the photo has to be Nellie!

      With the photo I received several documents. One is a
      typed "bulletin" written from Fort Ontario, NY, where he was
      undergoing "intensive training."

      http://speakeasy.org/~duchess/42pvtdon.jpg

      On the back is a handwritten note signed "Private Don."

      http://speakeasy.org/~duchess/42pvtdon-a.jpg

      A second document, also typed and signed, describes the genesis
      of "Soldier's Baby" (Pilot Bails Out) and includes the poem that was
      originally titled "To Gail."

      http://speakeasy.org/~duchess/gail2.jpg

      Both pages have been folded and were once pasted into a book or
      scrapbook but are in remarkably good condition.

      Although I bought the documents with the photo, I can't be certain
      that they were sent to Nellie, but it's very possible.

      I tried to upload these images to the group website, but they end up
      looking like "mush" so you'll have to copy and paste the URL's to
      view them.

      Enjoy!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
        Well, I tried. The typed documents still look like mush, so I'll
        transcribe them in the next few days.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
          OK, the typed documents still look like mush. I've added them to the
          Don Blanding's Letters segment of my website:

          http://www.speakeasy.org/~duchess/dbletter1.html

          where they appear to be legible.

          ~~Cadia
        • Allen Dayton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
            wonder why Don enlisted as a Private since he was an officer in WW 1?
            It might have been his age and without the Army experience that goes
            with it. Any thought?

            .

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
              DB was offered an officer's rank but he turned it down, saying that he
              preferred to be among the enlisted men. He wanted to find out what
              the average "doughboy" of the new generation was thinking.

              Both of his books, Pilot Bails Out and Today Is Here, are the result
              of his research among his fellow soldiers.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
                He was also escaping from a disolving marriage to
                Dorothy. I think thats where the title, Pilot Bails
                Out comes from.....OK, its just a crazy thought.....tj

              • sam17659@cs.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Cadia:

                  I could read them just fine! Any recent changes to your screen settings?

                  Thanks for all you do!

                  Ted