Re: DB in Seattle and New York, 1928

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
      Wow Cadia...great stuff.

      In all my research into Don's whereabouts through his sixty-odd years, his Seattle days are
      the least known to me. You're really "fleshing out" that period of his life.

      Nellie Cornish actually published an autobiography. I've ordered a copy through the library
      just in case she mentions Don or that Summer in Seattle.

      The 51 West 49th Street studio was their first residence...I was never able to find a photo
      of that one.

      It's interesting that you mention Grace Tower Warren...I've recently found a connection
      with her and the photographer of Pictures of Paradise, Frank S. Warren. He was in fact her
      brother-in-law.

      I listed on ebay a copy of Leaves from a Grass House that had been owned by Frank S.
      Warren, and it was bought by his grandson. He said that Frank's brother was John
      Trenholm Warren, who was married to Grace.

      The grandson told me that Frank S. Warren died shortly after Pictures of Paradise was
      published: "Frank passed away on June 6, 1938. He was driving, when a young girl ran
      into the street in front of him. He slammed on the brakes, and his chest hit the steering
      wheel. He was taken to the hospital, where he died later of a heart attack."

      He was only 49...sad. He also had a brother named William Warren who lived in Seattle.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
        Keith ...

        How nice that the book found its way home to a family member!

        Yes, I knew that Frank S. Warren was John's brother, but not that he
        died young and so tragically. The S-B society pages of the 1920s are
        filled with mentions of all the Warrens. Once you see names in close
        proximity often enough, the relationships become apparent. And, of
        course, Grace was society columnist or editor for the better part of
        50 years.

        Grace was a Pasadena girl who worked as a journalist even before her
        marriage to John Trenholm Warren, who became a prominent Honolulu
        businessman. I think he was president of the local automobile
        association at a time when owning an automobile was a Big Deal.

        Besides helping to launch Lei Day, Grace Tower Warren is a useful
        resource; she spent a lifetime in the media and she was a great name-
        dropper!

        I'll keep digging .... this batch of microfilm includes January 1921.
        I'm hoping to find mention of DB's return to Honolulu after his
        sojourn in Chicago, Rockford, Camp Grant, Paris, London and assorted
        other places.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
          chaBev, I found a couple of Armine von T items for you from the October
          1928 S-B and will send them along.

          Mahalo Cadia,

          I was wondering if you were finding anything about her. We are on Maui now and packing to leave. Sorry Maui Tom, short visit and didn't get a call in to you.

          Thanks again Cadia. I was wondering if she and Don ever met here in the Islands.

          With aloha,

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
            Just tagging in here......The Montana newspaper
            microfiche is in and I'll be going over it in the next
            few days. I don't expect much but who knows. I'll
            report back.....tj

          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2006
              Bev
              In and out again. We were in Italy for three weeks in May. Sorry we missed
              you this trip

              aloha
              Maui Tom