DB in Seattle and New York, 1928

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
      I'm almost done reading the October-December 1928 Star-Bulletin. As
      expected, I found an extensive review of DB's Vagabond's House (by
      Clifford Gessler, 10-27-28) and will transcribe soon.

      To review, DB left Honolulu aboard the Niagara in mid-July 1928, a
      scant 2 weeks before his mother passed away there. He arrived in
      Seattle about 6 days later -- not sure if the steamer went to
      British Columbia first -- with Earl Cohan.

      DB and Earl planned to "winter" in Seattle, then return to Seattle
      in the spring. Coincidentally, Grace Tower Warren was also in
      Seattle in October, settling her daughter Katherine into Alpha Phi
      sorority and studies at the University of Washington. They and
      other "rush week" moms were staying at the Wilsonian apartment-hotel
      on the Ave. (I worked in that building in the mid-1980s and a
      friend had his photography studio there for many years.)

      According to columns by GTW, she and DB were entertained at a League
      of Penwomen reception and were introduced to Nellie Cornish, founder
      of the Cornish School of the Arts. Until recently, that school was
      at Harvard Ave. and Roy St., about 6 blocks from my apartment.

      GTW also mentions that DB and Earl "have taken an old house on
      Belmont Ave., not far from the Cornish school and there have
      established their studio." I'm fairly sure she means what is now
      Belmont Ave. East, which extends northward about 7 blocks from Denny
      Way to Roy St. and was once called Belmont Ave. North. Locals
      seldom specify the compass point; Belmont Ave. itself is only 5
      blocks long and is south of Denny.

      Either way, that means DB's Seattle studio was practically in my
      backyard!

      I'll look at the August-September + December Seattle newspapers to
      see if I can dig up an exact address or other details. The GTW
      column (11/3/28) also mentions that DB's work is to be hung in
      December at the Academy of Fine Arts and is "quite an honor for
      recognized so soon." Yes, I'll transcribe the column. I don't
      recognize the Academy; it may have been renamed or be long gone.

      I checked 1928-1930 city directories, but found nothing. And I soon
      found out why:

      A news note in the Star-Bulletin on December 22 says that DB was in
      New York and had established a studio at 51 West 49th St. Earl
      Cohan was still in Seattle.

      OK, Keith ... start sleuthing! You came up with a photo of the
      East 40th St. address, so this should be a piece of cake!

      The Gessler review of Vagabond's House is accompanied by a photo
      titled "Woodman, Spare That Tree!" DB is shown leaning against a
      tree "in the forests of Washington State." How much ya wanna bet
      the photo was taken in nearby Voluntee Park? Unfortunately, the
      photo is very dark and probably can't be scanned, but I'll try.

      Bev, I found a couple of Armine von T items for you from the October
      1928 S-B and will send them along.

      More soon ...

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
        Wow Cadia...great stuff.

        In all my research into Don's whereabouts through his sixty-odd years, his Seattle days are
        the least known to me. You're really "fleshing out" that period of his life.

        Nellie Cornish actually published an autobiography. I've ordered a copy through the library
        just in case she mentions Don or that Summer in Seattle.

        The 51 West 49th Street studio was their first residence...I was never able to find a photo
        of that one.

        It's interesting that you mention Grace Tower Warren...I've recently found a connection
        with her and the photographer of Pictures of Paradise, Frank S. Warren. He was in fact her
        brother-in-law.

        I listed on ebay a copy of Leaves from a Grass House that had been owned by Frank S.
        Warren, and it was bought by his grandson. He said that Frank's brother was John
        Trenholm Warren, who was married to Grace.

        The grandson told me that Frank S. Warren died shortly after Pictures of Paradise was
        published: "Frank passed away on June 6, 1938. He was driving, when a young girl ran
        into the street in front of him. He slammed on the brakes, and his chest hit the steering
        wheel. He was taken to the hospital, where he died later of a heart attack."

        He was only 49...sad. He also had a brother named William Warren who lived in Seattle.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
          Keith ...

          How nice that the book found its way home to a family member!

          Yes, I knew that Frank S. Warren was John's brother, but not that he
          died young and so tragically. The S-B society pages of the 1920s are
          filled with mentions of all the Warrens. Once you see names in close
          proximity often enough, the relationships become apparent. And, of
          course, Grace was society columnist or editor for the better part of
          50 years.

          Grace was a Pasadena girl who worked as a journalist even before her
          marriage to John Trenholm Warren, who became a prominent Honolulu
          businessman. I think he was president of the local automobile
          association at a time when owning an automobile was a Big Deal.

          Besides helping to launch Lei Day, Grace Tower Warren is a useful
          resource; she spent a lifetime in the media and she was a great name-
          dropper!

          I'll keep digging .... this batch of microfilm includes January 1921.
          I'm hoping to find mention of DB's return to Honolulu after his
          sojourn in Chicago, Rockford, Camp Grant, Paris, London and assorted
          other places.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
            chaBev, I found a couple of Armine von T items for you from the October
            1928 S-B and will send them along.

            Mahalo Cadia,

            I was wondering if you were finding anything about her. We are on Maui now and packing to leave. Sorry Maui Tom, short visit and didn't get a call in to you.

            Thanks again Cadia. I was wondering if she and Don ever met here in the Islands.

            With aloha,

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
              Just tagging in here......The Montana newspaper
              microfiche is in and I'll be going over it in the next
              few days. I don't expect much but who knows. I'll
              report back.....tj

            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2006
                Bev
                In and out again. We were in Italy for three weeks in May. Sorry we missed
                you this trip

                aloha
                Maui Tom