Re: Springtime

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hi, Tom ...

      Just a mismarked piece. It happens a lot. I have a "Delight" bowl
      that's missing the yellow ... which probably makes it Glamour.

      As far as I know, Vernon Kilns did not have a pattern called
      Springtime, and Metlox did not use the Ultra blank. It's possible,
      however, that your Lei Lani cup was part of a jobber's order. The
      customer may have wanted a more generic name than Lei Lani.

      Vernon Kilns made Lei Lani on 3 blanks: Ultra (1940+), Melinda (1942)
      and San Marino (1947+). On the Melinda blank, it was renamed Hawaii.

      The four "lotus" designs are Lei Lani, Honolulu, Hilo and Hawaiian
      Flowers.

      The first 3 are hand-painted on maroon, blue and brown backgrounds,
      respectively. That's the major difference. Hawaiian Flowers is a
      plain-print transfer in blue, maroon, pink or light orange.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
        Linda ...

        Thanks for sharing the Hillhouse site. You'll note that in their
        Vernonware section, the example of Vernon's Lei Lani described as
        being on the San Marino shape is actually a piece of Hawaii on the
        earlier Melinda shape.

        They also state in one area that Metlox bought VK in 1942 ... not
        true! VK closed in 1955; Metlox officially acquired their assets in
        1958, but probably were continuing some of the lines (notably the
        plaids) as early as 1955.

        ~~C~~