Springtime

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
      And so, I RV'd up to Brookings Oregon for the last two weeks. While browsing some
      local Antique and junkie shops I came across a likely looking Lei Lani coffee cup.
      Much to my surprise when I turned it over, it was marked with all the usual Aloha
      Don Blanding, Vernon Kilns, etc.....but it was not marked Lei Lani. It was titled,
      Springtime.........I hadn't heard of this version before????? So, someone educate me on this
      one. I thought could it be a forgery? Is it a 1950's version of Lei Lani? Was it mis-
      marked? The cup is in pristine condition, though the writing is a bit foggy and not
      clear. Do I now own the Holy Grail? Hmmmmm. Anyone heard of this before??? tj
    • Linda Allred

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
          Nice try but wrong pattern. My cup is without a doubt
          a Vernon Kilns Lei lani design with Springtime as the
          design name. Tomorrow I'll compare Sprintime with
          several other Lei Lani Patterns I own. To the naked
          eye I can't tell the difference other than the design
          name.....we'll keep looking and
          researching....thanks...tj

          --- Linda Allred <linall9@...> wrote:

          > Tom, look at this website and scroll down to
          > Springtime. Is that the same pattern? It says
          > Metlox Pottery began in 1927 in Manhattan Beach,
          > California and grew to become one of California's
          > premier pottery companies. There were two divisions
          > within Metlox, the Poppytrail Division and the
          > Vernonware Division (due to Metlox's purchase of
          > Vernon Kilns in 1942). We carry over 60 patterns of
          > Metlox. Their Vernonware Division is listed
          > separately.
          >
          > http://www.hillhousewares.com/category0maker2.html
          >
          > Tom Markle <tjmarkle@...> wrote:
          > And so, I RV'd up to Brookings Oregon for
          > the last two weeks. While browsing some
          > local Antique and junkie shops I came across a
          > likely looking Lei Lani coffee cup.
          > Much to my surprise when I turned it over, it was
          > marked with all the usual Aloha
          > Don Blanding, Vernon Kilns, etc.....but it was not
          > marked Lei Lani. It was titled,
          > Springtime.........I hadn't heard of this version
          > before????? So, someone educate me on this
          > one. I thought could it be a forgery? Is it a 1950's
          > version of Lei Lani? Was it mis-
          > marked? The cup is in pristine condition, though the
          > writing is a bit foggy and not
          > clear. Do I now own the Holy Grail? Hmmmmm. Anyone
          > heard of this before??? tj

          > removed]

        • Curt Blanding
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
            Hi Tom,

            Lei Lani was made on both the Ultra and the San Marino base. There
            are a couple of other patterns that are very similar - Hilo and
            Honolulu have slightly different color combinations - most notably
            the color of the central lotus blossom. It is not too rare to find
            pieces that have some deviation from the normal pattern. For example,
            the multi-colored Coral Reef plate that is shown in the 'Collectible
            Vernon Kilns' book (2nd edition page 232). I think that, while the
            actual base glaze pattern was mass produced, it was applied to each
            individual piece by hand (as a single base color) and the color
            highlights were added by hand. The same would apply to the
            'signature' marking on the bottom. Your piece was probably a mistake
            by the production person applying the wrong label to the bottom. I
            have seen several cases of production "mistakes" and there are also
            some pieces that were custom produced for a particular retailer (eg. Trojan).

            Can you please send me some photos of this piece? You'll have to
            send them directly to my email address - not thru this group.

            Thanks,
            Curt

            At 08:54 PM 7/3/2006, you wrote:

            >Nice try but wrong pattern. My cup is without a doubt
            >a Vernon Kilns Lei lani design with Springtime as the
            >design name. Tomorrow I'll compare Sprintime with
            >several other Lei Lani Patterns I own. To the naked
            >eye I can't tell the difference other than the design
            >name.....we'll keep looking and
            >researching....thanks...tj
            >
            >--- Linda Allred <<mailto:linall9%40yahoo.com>linall9@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Tom, look at this website and scroll down to
            > > Springtime. Is that the same pattern? It says
            > > Metlox Pottery began in 1927 in Manhattan Beach,
            > > California and grew to become one of California's
            > > premier pottery companies. There were two divisions
            > > within Metlox, the Poppytrail Division and the
            > > Vernonware Division (due to Metlox's purchase of
            > > Vernon Kilns in 1942). We carry over 60 patterns of
            > > Metlox. Their Vernonware Division is listed
            > > separately.
            > >

            > <http://www.hillhousewares.com/category0maker2.html>http://www.hillhousewares.com/category0maker2.html
            > >
            > > Tom Markle <<mailto:tjmarkle%40sbcglobal.net>tjmarkle@...> wrote:
            > > And so, I RV'd up to Brookings Oregon for
            > > the last two weeks. While browsing some
            > > local Antique and junkie shops I came across a
            > > likely looking Lei Lani coffee cup.
            > > Much to my surprise when I turned it over, it was
            > > marked with all the usual Aloha
            > > Don Blanding, Vernon Kilns, etc.....but it was not
            > > marked Lei Lani. It was titled,
            > > Springtime.........I hadn't heard of this version
            > > before????? So, someone educate me on this
            > > one. I thought could it be a forgery? Is it a 1950's
            > > version of Lei Lani? Was it mis-
            > > marked? The cup is in pristine condition, though the
            > > writing is a bit foggy and not
            > > clear. Do I now own the Holy Grail? Hmmmmm. Anyone
            > > heard of this before??? tj

            > > removed]

            * Curt Blanding, Independent Consultant-Contractor *
            * specializing in high speed digital design
            * for Automatic Test Equipment
            * and other high speed applications
            * signal integrity and high speed PCB design
            * PLL design
            * FAST Technology
            * 4508 Norwich Way
            * San Jose, CA 95130
            * voice: 408-374-7002
            * fax: 408-850-5851
            * email: mailto:curt@...
            * website: http://www.pglg.com/FAST
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
              Hi, Tom ...

              Just a mismarked piece. It happens a lot. I have a "Delight" bowl
              that's missing the yellow ... which probably makes it Glamour.

              As far as I know, Vernon Kilns did not have a pattern called
              Springtime, and Metlox did not use the Ultra blank. It's possible,
              however, that your Lei Lani cup was part of a jobber's order. The
              customer may have wanted a more generic name than Lei Lani.

              Vernon Kilns made Lei Lani on 3 blanks: Ultra (1940+), Melinda (1942)
              and San Marino (1947+). On the Melinda blank, it was renamed Hawaii.

              The four "lotus" designs are Lei Lani, Honolulu, Hilo and Hawaiian
              Flowers.

              The first 3 are hand-painted on maroon, blue and brown backgrounds,
              respectively. That's the major difference. Hawaiian Flowers is a
              plain-print transfer in blue, maroon, pink or light orange.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
                Linda ...

                Thanks for sharing the Hillhouse site. You'll note that in their
                Vernonware section, the example of Vernon's Lei Lani described as
                being on the San Marino shape is actually a piece of Hawaii on the
                earlier Melinda shape.

                They also state in one area that Metlox bought VK in 1942 ... not
                true! VK closed in 1955; Metlox officially acquired their assets in
                1958, but probably were continuing some of the lines (notably the
                plaids) as early as 1955.

                ~~C~~