Re: James Blanding - 1910 census

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
      Keith ...

      Yes, James C. Blanding died in 1929. His widow applied for pension
      benefits in Nov. 1929 and again in 1934. I have a copy of the
      document, and will request copies of all related documents, including
      his Civil War service records, from the National Archives. Copies of
      the required forms are on the way to me.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
        I've found other miscue's with DB himself. Always
        have to check data and sources. I ordered newspapers
        from Gardner and Livingston from 1894-1912 figuring
        that Yellowstone was a big deal then and maybe James
        Blanding would be featured somewhere as he was cutting
        in the original roads to the new National Park. Maybe
        a teenager named Don Blanding will be standing/sitting
        next to him. We'll see.....tj

        --- Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Tom ...

        There is a James Blanding listed in Gardiner, Park
        County, MT (I
        think on the 1910 census), but the age is all wrong.
        This James B.
        was born about 1861. If the age is correct, then it
        is not our James.

        On the other hand, with all the errors I've been
        finding on
        documents, and as transcribed via Ancestry.com, well,
        I could accept
        our James being in both Jardine School District, Park
        County, in 1910
        as well as in Gardiner.

        I've also discovered a major discrepancy in James
        military service.
        The pension document of 1890 shows James with 3 years'
        service, May
        1862 - July 1865, in Company H, 41st Wisconsin.
        However, last night
        I printed out the regiment's history and part of the
        list of
        soldiers, including James C. Blanding of Lancaster,
        WI. The regiment
        was not even formed until May 1864 and mustered out in
        September
        1864. It was the last of three 100-day regiments from
        Wisconsin.

        Big difference!

        ~~C~~

        aloha-donblanding@...

        Poetry
        writing Poetry book
        publisher Poetry
        book
        Blanding ut
        Poetry book publishing
        Poetry writing contest

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2006
          Tom ...

          I checked the 1910 census again. The James Blanding in Gardiner is a
          49-year-old widower whose parents were born in Missouri and
          Pennsylvania. No others in his household.

          Our James C. Blanding is listed in the Jardine school District, Park
          County, and by 1910 was about 62 years old. His wife Mary C. is also
          listed, with years of marriage shown as 15. Certainly, if James and
          mary were married in the area, an 1894 or 1895 newspaper might yield a
          clue. I think the earliest that DB went to Yellowstone was the summer
          of 1909, about age 15.