Re: James Blanding - 1910 census

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
      Tom ...

      There is a James Blanding listed in Gardiner, Park County, MT (I
      think on the 1910 census), but the age is all wrong. This James B.
      was born about 1861. If the age is correct, then it is not our James.

      On the other hand, with all the errors I've been finding on
      documents, and as transcribed via Ancestry.com, well, I could accept
      our James being in both Jardine School District, Park County, in 1910
      as well as in Gardiner.

      I've also discovered a major discrepancy in James military service.
      The pension document of 1890 shows James with 3 years' service, May
      1862 - July 1865, in Company H, 41st Wisconsin. However, last night
      I printed out the regiment's history and part of the list of
      soldiers, including James C. Blanding of Lancaster, WI. The regiment
      was not even formed until May 1864 and mustered out in September
      1864. It was the last of three 100-day regiments from Wisconsin.

      Big difference!

      ~~C~~
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
        Keith ...

        Yes, James C. Blanding died in 1929. His widow applied for pension
        benefits in Nov. 1929 and again in 1934. I have a copy of the
        document, and will request copies of all related documents, including
        his Civil War service records, from the National Archives. Copies of
        the required forms are on the way to me.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
          I've found other miscue's with DB himself. Always
          have to check data and sources. I ordered newspapers
          from Gardner and Livingston from 1894-1912 figuring
          that Yellowstone was a big deal then and maybe James
          Blanding would be featured somewhere as he was cutting
          in the original roads to the new National Park. Maybe
          a teenager named Don Blanding will be standing/sitting
          next to him. We'll see.....tj

          --- Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          aloha-donblanding@...

          Poetry
          writing Poetry book
          publisher Poetry
          book
          Blanding ut
          Poetry book publishing
          Poetry writing contest

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2006
            Tom ...

            I checked the 1910 census again. The James Blanding in Gardiner is a
            49-year-old widower whose parents were born in Missouri and
            Pennsylvania. No others in his household.

            Our James C. Blanding is listed in the Jardine school District, Park
            County, and by 1910 was about 62 years old. His wife Mary C. is also
            listed, with years of marriage shown as 15. Certainly, if James and
            mary were married in the area, an 1894 or 1895 newspaper might yield a
            clue. I think the earliest that DB went to Yellowstone was the summer
            of 1909, about age 15.