RE: [aloha-donblanding] Re: James Blanding - 1910 census

    Message 1 of 15 , May 30, 2006
      Aloha Tom,

      You are doing great! Thanks for sharing. Wish I was in you place. What
      a great time you 2 must be having in Montana/
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
        Tom ...

        There is a James Blanding listed in Gardiner, Park County, MT (I
        think on the 1910 census), but the age is all wrong. This James B.
        was born about 1861. If the age is correct, then it is not our James.

        On the other hand, with all the errors I've been finding on
        documents, and as transcribed via Ancestry.com, well, I could accept
        our James being in both Jardine School District, Park County, in 1910
        as well as in Gardiner.

        I've also discovered a major discrepancy in James military service.
        The pension document of 1890 shows James with 3 years' service, May
        1862 - July 1865, in Company H, 41st Wisconsin. However, last night
        I printed out the regiment's history and part of the list of
        soldiers, including James C. Blanding of Lancaster, WI. The regiment
        was not even formed until May 1864 and mustered out in September
        1864. It was the last of three 100-day regiments from Wisconsin.

        Big difference!

        ~~C~~
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
          Keith ...

          Yes, James C. Blanding died in 1929. His widow applied for pension
          benefits in Nov. 1929 and again in 1934. I have a copy of the
          document, and will request copies of all related documents, including
          his Civil War service records, from the National Archives. Copies of
          the required forms are on the way to me.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
            I've found other miscue's with DB himself. Always
            have to check data and sources. I ordered newspapers
            from Gardner and Livingston from 1894-1912 figuring
            that Yellowstone was a big deal then and maybe James
            Blanding would be featured somewhere as he was cutting
            in the original roads to the new National Park. Maybe
            a teenager named Don Blanding will be standing/sitting
            next to him. We'll see.....tj

            --- Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
[...]

            aloha-donblanding@...

            Poetry
            writing Poetry book
            publisher Poetry
            book
            Blanding ut
            Poetry book publishing
            Poetry writing contest

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2006
              Tom ...

              I checked the 1910 census again. The James Blanding in Gardiner is a
              49-year-old widower whose parents were born in Missouri and
              Pennsylvania. No others in his household.

              Our James C. Blanding is listed in the Jardine school District, Park
              County, and by 1910 was about 62 years old. His wife Mary C. is also
              listed, with years of marriage shown as 15. Certainly, if James and
              mary were married in the area, an 1894 or 1895 newspaper might yield a
              clue. I think the earliest that DB went to Yellowstone was the summer
              of 1909, about age 15.