Re: James Blanding - 1910 census

    Message 1 of 15 , May 25, 2006
      Actually Cadia...I looked in the 1910 census tonight, and James C. Blanding is listed as living
      in Jardine School District, which is in Yellowstone. He is listed as a farmer.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 26, 2006
        Keith and TJ ...

        Here's what I have so far on James C. Blanding, elder brother of Hugh
        Ross Blanding:

        1850 census:

        b. abt 1848 - Wisconsin (age 2)
        son of Joseph and Maria Blanding
        Father b. PA; mother b. WI
        Residence: Grant County, WI (Lancaster, I think)

        1860 census:

        ditto (age 12)
        Residence: Watertown, Grant Co., WI

        1870 census:

        I don't have this one yet. Will check this weekend.

        1880 census: June 7 & 8

        b. abt 1845 - Pennsylvania (age 32), Surveyor
        Wife: Christina, age 27, b. Sweden (F/M also b. Sweden)
        Residing: Sheridan, Pennington Co., Dakota Territory

        NOTE: I believe this is our James C., but note PA as birthplace.
        Since mother Maria was b. WI, I believe all her children were b. WI.
        Census page correctly lists F/M birthplace as PA and WI, respectively.

        Now here's the goodie I discovered while rambling on Ancestry.com
        last night ....

        1890 Veterans Schedules Record:

        James C. Blanding, Private, Company A, 41st Wisconsin Infantry
        Enlisted: May 6, 1862
        Discharged: July 25, 1865
        Years of Service: 3
        No disabilities noted
        Residence: June 1890 - Cascade, Cascade County, MT
        Post Office Address: Grand Coulee, MT
        House No.: 207 (no street given)

        Yes, I know our James C. would have been about age 14 or 15 upon
        enlistment, but that was not unusual. It would be worth checking
        further to find out if Pvt. James C. enlisted from Grant County.
        There's another Blanding line in St. Croix, Polk County, WI -- not
        connected to our Blandings as far as I know. Maybe a distant
        relationship if one or more of the Pennsylvania Blandings settled in
        Polk County.

        Keith, I have the citation but not the document for the 1910 census
        listing:

        James C. Blanding
        b. abt 1847 - Pennsylvania
        Residence: Jardine School District, Park County, MT

        I'm pretty sure this is our guy, but that PA birthplace bugs me! It
        shows up again ....

        1920 census: January 23

        b. abt. 1847 - Pennsylvania (age 73), Farmer
        Wife: Mary, age 50, b. Sweden
        Residence: Livingston Ward 2, Park County, MT

        Again, James' F/M listed as b. PA and WI, respectively. I believe
        Mary (also "May" on Ancestry.com) was a 2nd wife, given the age
        difference.

        James C. does not appear on the 1930 census.

        Why would he indicate PA as his birthplace and not Wisconsin?
        There's no disputing the 1850 and 1860 census information. Here's
        what I think:

        If Pvt. James C. is our guy, maybe he fudged his age to enlist. If
        so, he might have given PA as his birthplace because Wisconsin
        authorities could not easily check it and find out his real age.
        Since our James' father, Joseph, was from Pennsylvania ... well, why
        not? A little fib in 1862 may have followed James the rest of his
        life!

        That's it for now.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 26, 2006
          A few more tidbits:

          I think James C. Blanding died in 1929 and is buried in Wahpeton, Richland, North Dakota.

          Mary C. Blanding appears alone in the 1930 census and is listed as a widow. She was born
          in Sweden in 1870 and immigrated to the US in 1885. It seems she was married at the age
          of 25...which would be around 1895. In 1930 she was working as a cook in a government
          mess hall in Yellowstone.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 30, 2006
            What I found in Livingstone Montana so far is that
            James Blanding owned property in upper Yellowstone
            near Gardner Montana. Gardner is the gateway to
            original Yellowstone. He helped carve roads into the
            "new" National Park starting about 1894 or close to
            that year. He had a ranch (or farm). I found out
            that the railroad would have gone through Livingston
            and on to Gardner when DB was going there for his
            summers with his Uncle. There was a small hill inside
            of Yellowstone named Blanding Hill, probably after
            James Blanding. That was changed in 1958 when more
            modern road were built and Blanding Hill was taken
            out. I have an interesting newspaper blurb about
            James Blandings trek to Montana from the East in which
            he describes the teams as using cow chips for fires
            and the youngst cowboy would be elected to go collect
            the chips as per tradition, etc. I have some new
            friends at the Livingston Library checking out where
            James Blandings ranch was and if it still exists,
            which I doubt. I have microfiche on order from
            1894-1912 of the local newspapers of the time. I
            don't expect much in the way of discoveries, quite
            frankly, but it's one more thing to explore. Wouldn't
            it be neat to find a newspaper photo of young DB and
            his uncle? Back home again though Montana was hard
            to leave....tj

            ---------------------------------

            aloha-donblanding@...

            Poetry
            writing Poetry book
            publisher Poetry
            book
            Blanding ut
            Poetry book publishing
            Poetry writing contest

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------
            Message 5 of 15 , May 30, 2006
              Aloha Tom,

              You are doing great! Thanks for sharing. Wish I was in you place. What
              a great time you 2 must be having in Montana/

              --- Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
[...]

              Service.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2 4:41 PM
                Tom ...

                There is a James Blanding listed in Gardiner, Park County, MT (I
                think on the 1910 census), but the age is all wrong. This James B.
                was born about 1861. If the age is correct, then it is not our James.

                On the other hand, with all the errors I've been finding on
                documents, and as transcribed via Ancestry.com, well, I could accept
                our James being in both Jardine School District, Park County, in 1910
                as well as in Gardiner.

                I've also discovered a major discrepancy in James military service.
                The pension document of 1890 shows James with 3 years' service, May
                1862 - July 1865, in Company H, 41st Wisconsin. However, last night
                I printed out the regiment's history and part of the list of
                soldiers, including James C. Blanding of Lancaster, WI. The regiment
                was not even formed until May 1864 and mustered out in September
                1864. It was the last of three 100-day regiments from Wisconsin.

                Big difference!

                ~~C~~
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3 3:18 PM
                  Keith ...

                  Yes, James C. Blanding died in 1929. His widow applied for pension
                  benefits in Nov. 1929 and again in 1934. I have a copy of the
                  document, and will request copies of all related documents, including
                  his Civil War service records, from the National Archives. Copies of
                  the required forms are on the way to me.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3 7:09 PM
                    I've found other miscue's with DB himself. Always
                    have to check data and sources. I ordered newspapers
                    from Gardner and Livingston from 1894-1912 figuring
                    that Yellowstone was a big deal then and maybe James
                    Blanding would be featured somewhere as he was cutting
                    in the original roads to the new National Park. Maybe
                    a teenager named Don Blanding will be standing/sitting
                    next to him. We'll see.....tj

                    ---------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 5 3:21 PM
                      Tom ...

                      I checked the 1910 census again. The James Blanding in Gardiner is a
                      49-year-old widower whose parents were born in Missouri and
                      Pennsylvania. No others in his household.

                      Our James C. Blanding is listed in the Jardine school District, Park
                      County, and by 1910 was about 62 years old. His wife Mary C. is also
                      listed, with years of marriage shown as 15. Certainly, if James and
                      mary were married in the area, an 1894 or 1895 newspaper might yield a
                      clue. I think the earliest that DB went to Yellowstone was the summer
                      of 1909, about age 15.